Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

50 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I originally typed out a post I ended up deleting but it was pretty much I'd take a hard pass on Durant or Glenn back when they were without a team and wait for Adams to be released in sask.  He's already been doing the short yardage stuff to replace Lefevour and has started and won games to be a potential QB to groom and be the future essentially replacing Davis as well.  I guess Durant kind of fill;s that roll too but is much more expensive, and much much older to been seen as any kind of future so he's a stop gap and come 2019 well be back in the same position

So what would we do after Durant signs elsewhere and the Riders don't cut Adams?

work out a trade.  Aside from a potential temporary upgrade in our #2 QB talent I don't see the upside in the bigger picture. Reminds me of when we had Glenn at QB2 2 years ago, great to have a vet back up just in case but did absolutely nothing for us going forward. Now granted Davis didn't show very well last year,  at least that gives us a better idea of what we have and can potentially start to turn in a new direction. 

I'm not totally against the Durant signing. It was painfully obvious last year our back up situation was/is pretty bad but I'd have preferred grabbing a younger dude with potential then an aging vet with likely a decent contract size who is gonna be one and done with us.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What you say gets so old that it's totally lame. That's all you got?  No surprise there as that's all you ever say. LOL. I don't have to justify anything especially my loyalty to a dumbass keyboard warrior like you. I was watching the Bombers in person, enjoying season tickets at Winnipeg Stadium  & going to home games before you were born. However, it's so much fun that I will.

Ever see Harry Knight play? What about Tony Guillory? Dave Raimey? Luther Selbo? Billy Cooper? Dale Hackbart? Bill Whisler? Mike Law? Phil Minnick? John Schneider? Rich Wozney? Tom Oberg? Roger Hamelin? Darwin Go Go Gonnerman? Richard Crump? Mike Holmes? Gord Patterson? Glen Schapansky? Butch Pressley? Bob Lueck? Joe Critchlow?  Jim Heighton? Bob Houmard? Chip Barrett? Pierre Desjardins? Jim Kuhn? Rob McLaren, Bill Frank? Butch Norman? Joe Critchlow? Jim Sullivan? Do you remember the 80 Western Semi Final? Who ripped the 80 yard run up the middle to seal the game over the... the... the... who? Do you know the team we beat that day? What were the weather & field conditions like as well?  I know because I was there, were you? What happened on the final play of the 1972 Western Final at Winnipeg Stadium? How did we lose & who did we play? Why do sone longtime Bomber fans still call it the  most heartbreaking loss in the history of the team? I know why as I was there. Do you? After the 1988 Eastern Semi Final at Winnipeg Stadium there was a famous local tee shirt that came out. What was the message on the  tee shirt referring to? I know as I was there. From 1969 to 1989 I never missed a home game. Not one until we moved away. Pfft.  Stamps fan? What a joke. Too funny.

sooo.. uhhh... need a snickers?

7 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

work out a trade.  Aside from a potential temporary upgrade in our #2 QB talent I don't see the upside in the bigger picture. Reminds me of when we had Glenn at QB2 2 years ago, great to have a vet back up just in case but did absolutely nothing for us going forward. Now granted Davis didn't show very well last year,  at least that gives us a better idea of what we have and can potentially start to turn in a new direction. 

I'm not totally against the Durant signing. It was painfully obvious last year our back up situation was/is pretty bad but I'd have preferred grabbing a younger dude with potential then an aging vet with likely a decent contract size who is gonna be one and done with us.

Yea but even a bridge, adams or whomever else that are "known" prospect options are not looking like diamonds in the rough to me at this point..   I'd rather go with a grizzled vet for another year or two and hope... that FINALLY... our QB hunters can locate a bona-fide prospect to groom and develop... or that Davis takes that next step.. either or..

I hate trying to take another team's prospect.. who they give up on.. and make him into a project..  at least with Davis, it seems to me anyway, that we just bid higher for his services

3 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Yea but even a bridge, adams or whomever else that are "known" prospect options are not looking like diamonds in the rough to me at this point..   I'd rather go with a grizzled vet for another year or two and hope... that FINALLY... our QB hunters can locate a bona-fide prospect to groom and develop... or that Davis takes that next step.. either or..

I hate trying to take another team's prospect.. who they give up on.. and make him into a project..  at least with Davis, it seems to me anyway, that we just bid higher for his services

I have zero confidence in our scouts we can find anything worthwhile when it comes to QB prospects. Hell most of the QBs in the league playing were recruited from other teams. That entire rider stable outside of Williams was other teams finds, Collaros, Bridge, Adams...   in the CFL its never really about who you can find its about who you can sign and retain

19 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I have zero confidence in our scouts we can find anything worthwhile when it comes to QB prospects. Hell most of the QBs in the league playing were recruited from other teams. That entire rider stable outside of Williams was other teams finds, Collaros, Bridge, Adams...   in the CFL its never really about who you can find its about who you can sign and retain

oh and I agree.. the problem is that when the other teams cast off's are just that.. guys tossed to the heap.   I don't mind stealing another team's project when they are unable to retain them.. but when it becomes a situation like we are seeing here with Crompton, Adams, Bridge (to an extent), Jackory Harris and that big backup in toronto...  where none of them are looking to be "the next big thing" and more likely to flame out, it becomes a "we gotta find our own guy!" situation again..    There isn't any real backup's out there or project backups (that I've noticed anyway) who are the next Reilly, Mitchell, Lulay or Durant..   I see a lot of wash outs like we have seen here for the last decade

3 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

oh and I agree.. the problem is that when the other teams cast off's are just that.. guys tossed to the heap.   I don't mind stealing another team's project when they are unable to retain them.. but when it becomes a situation like we are seeing here with Crompton, Adams, Bridge (to an extent), Jackory Harris and that big backup in toronto...  where none of them are looking to be "the next big thing" and more likely to flame out, it becomes a "we gotta find our own guy!" situation again..    There isn't any real backup's out there or project backups (that I've noticed anyway) who are the next Reilly, Mitchell, Lulay or Durant..   I see a lot of wash outs like we have seen here for the last decade

Its tough to say where some of these QBs are at. I thought Adams showed reasonably well in his first few starts - i believing winning his first 3 - but has since been saddled behind QB's much more along then him and as such been relegated on the depth charts.  The reason why I think he'd be the odd man out in sask is because they just resigned Bridge to likely more then he was making,  just signed Collaros to a huge salary, and its been reported adams is on a higher contract then then a usual rookie one.  At some point they will need to trim some $ to get under the cap or to open up some funds for FA. I expect Adams to be one of them and Williams assuming the #3 spot

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Wow Danny Groulx.  He never really developed into the player he was expected to be.  I wonder what's going on there.

Twitter tells me 3 of them are pending FAs who weren't going to be targeted  by the Esks, so they're giving them a chance to find a new home ahead of FA Day. 

Dave Campbell
@Dave_CHED
Howard when healthy was a dominant DE but injuries finally caught up to him last season with the torn Achilles. Boateng may be ready to make the leap to be starter. Willis and Chick still under contract. David Beard made Groulx expendable and the team has some depth at guard.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Eeeee bring back Coochie ??

Groulx might be of interest but we have depth at OL.

I could see him ending up in either Montreal or Ottawa. He's a Gatineau boy and it wouldn't surprise me to see Reed throw a bunch of money his way.

Edited by blue_gold_84

19 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I could see him ending up in either Montreal or Ottawa. He's a Gatineau boy and it wouldn't surprise me to see Reed throw a bunch of money his way.

It's either MTL or BC. 

I can see EDM changing the ratio on their DL. They might be on the Westerman sweepstakes if he will not re-sign with the Bombers.

I think possibly now since not a lot of money to go around on offence in Sask now....Collaros' big deal...now Carter at just under 200k...I sure Roosevelt got a bump up..Bridge got an increase..If they want to keep their defense intact Jefferson...Steele...Mruabe..Knox Jr...Leonard all are going to be looking for more...and that doesn't even factor in if they want to make a big signing via free agency.

Thats a lot of core players left that hasn't been resigned...and some money will have to be shaved elsewhere..so I see them going cheap in the Canadian receiver spot to try and compensate...They still have to sign Bailey too...so I can see them going with Bagg...Picton...and that Stanford and letting the more vet guys go.

Christ they still need to sign Campbell...if he is wanting to sign there and deal with Dennis's albatross of a contract

From what they said on the radio  Willie Jefferson has a deal in place with the Riders.   He was the best player on that defense so I would assume he gets a nice raise as well. 

I wonder what kind of salary cuts the team will need to make in order to be under the cap?