Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

19 minutes ago, bluto said:

So did the Argos.

And having a 6'2, 235 pounder with breakaway speed who can run inside or outside of the tackles, block and run a route and catch a ball sit out their season because they don't want to give him something closer to market value for his potential 1k/1k production just to accomplish what...? Prove a point of principle?

No. Our principle always has been and always ought to be: winning the Grey Cup.

Totally agree with you that the Argos should have considered re-negotiating the deal.  The big problem that I have with the whole thing is running to the media.  We don't know what discussions were had between his agent and the team, so no idea what demands were put to the Argos and what they actually said no to.  Again, this is the problem with running to the media with it because nobody knows the whole truth, and everyone comes out looking a little worse for it.

21 minutes ago, bluto said:

And having a 6'2, 235 pounder with breakaway speed who can run inside or outside of the tackles, block and run a route and catch a ball sit out their season because they don't want to give him something closer to market value for his potential 1k/1k production just to accomplish what...? Prove a point of principle?

As a CFL fan, I want a guy like that on the field... as a Bomber fan, I fully support his sit-out! ;)

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

and?  This was established before he signed his contact... he KNEW what he was getting into.    I don't care how the CFL does things because they have done them the same way forever.  people know what they are getting themselves into.

First thing Wilder needs to do is fire his agent,  he could have negotiated options and incentives into his first contract.

5 hours ago, Atomic said:

Just give the guy a raise or release him.  I don't blame him for not wanting to put his body on the line for 56k.  He showed he's worth more than that... if they're not willing to pay, then they should release him and let him take his NFL shot.  Clearly he won't be with the team either way without getting a raise so refusing to release him is just spiteful. 

Coaches and GMs are allowed out of their contracts to pursue better opportunities.  Teams cut players and end their contracts.  The only ones who don't get to walk away from contracts are the players and they are the ones taking all the risk.

You may have a different perspective on this if it was Jeffcoat this year or Bond last year making these demands.  Wilder has a bigger spotlight but the principle is the same.

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

God I hope he comes back and has an absolutely awful season... talk about over hyped. Yeah he was very good for the Argos, but let's pump the brakes a bit. Jesus that cup win really went to your head eh?

Could you please be more specific...? I have 6 Cup Wins to choose from since your last...

Wilder can do as he pleases. But isn't $56K and an opportunity to continue showcasing his talent - for the chance to land a better job down south - a better option than sitting out just to train on his own time and money and earning no pay at all...?

I get where he's coming from: playing a gruelling and sometimes thankless sport for essentially peanuts is the shits and he clearly demonstrated he's earned a raise. And while I get that CFL contracts aren't guaranteed, he did sign said contract knowing the terms, the salary, and the fine print - and signed on that dotted line of his own accord.

Does going public with his disgruntlement accomplish anything, though?

Edited by blue_gold_84

36 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

First thing Wilder needs to do is fire his agent,  he could have negotiated options and incentives into his first contract.

To which I'm sure Popp would've said: "Not a chance and I'll just shred the rookie contract offered."

Last March, neither Wilder nor his agent were in any position to make demands. Even now, the same holds true.

Edited by blue_gold_84

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Wilder can do as he pleases. But isn't $56K and an opportunity to continue showcasing his talent - for the chance to land a better job down south - a better option than sitting out just to train on his own time and money and earning no pay at all...?

I get where he's coming from: playing a gruelling and sometimes thankless sport for essentially peanuts is the shits and he clearly shown he's earned a raise. And while I get that CFL contracts aren't guaranteed, he did sign said contract knowing the terms, the salary, and the fine print - and signed on that dotted line of his own accord.

Does going public with his disgruntlement accomplish anything, though?

Could also go the other way. Is an extra 40k a year for a player who has proven he's got at the very least middle of league talent a big deal? Especially when this is the alternative? His year was short, but what he did doesn't happen very often. Don't let some posters on here fool you, Wilder is no joke. 

The only thing going public does is make both the Argos and Wilder look bad in some eyes. Had he just sat out without an explaination, must would have likely just blamed him. Could also help out the other 8 teams when it comes to signing FAs and or Rookies.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Could also go the other way. Is an extra 40k a year for a player who has proven he's got at the very least middle of league talent a big deal? Especially when this is the alternative? His year was short, but what he did doesn't happen very often. Don't let some posters on here fool you, Wilder is no joke. 

The only thing going public does is make both the Argos and Wilder look bad in some eyes. Had he just sat out without an explaination, must would have likely just blamed him. Could also help out the other 8 teams when it comes to signing FAs and or Rookies.

Believe me, nobody here's got me fooled: Wilder is obviously very talented and that's got him on the NFL radar again. I'm surprised at the position Popp's taken to neither consider a bonus nor his release, but I can understand why he's taken it. A contract is a contract.

Unfortunately, this situation reflects badly on both player and team, IMO. It isn't a matter of who's right or who's wrong, either, as there are valid arguments on both sides. It's just an unbecoming reality of the CFL, which in comparison to other pro leagues, is not very lucrative for many players.

So basically Wilder is saying, he has a choice. Stay home take a higher paying job with less risk of injury. Or leave home for less money and serious risk of injury. He's gotta do what he feels is best for his family. And from the sounds of it, the CFL isn't that right now. I can stand behind that. Gotta do what you gotta do.

I can relate, in that I had to leave a job I loved dearly due to lack of pay. It was at a non profit so obviously different situation. But I didn't want to go, my employers didn't want me to go. But at the end of the day I had a child on the way and I have to take care of my family.

Not sure how anyone can fault a guy for that.

7 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Why did he sign a 2 year deal to begin with?  The old one year plus an option was eliminated for this very reason to allow players the flexibility to pursue the NFL after a year. 

Things change over the course of a year. But sounds like he got a job that pays more than the CFL. He has NFL options, but TO won't let him explore. So then he's left with making less with risk of injury and being away from family, or staying home making more money. Of course he could likely play another year and be set in either league. But he could also play one more snap and have his head taken off. You gotta weigh the risks/reward. And he's taking the sure bet that will help his family the most. It's shitty for the CFL, but I can't blame him.

15 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Why did he sign a 2 year deal to begin with?  The old one year plus an option was eliminated for this very reason to allow players the flexibility to pursue the NFL after a year. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2014/06/13/new-five-year-cba-ratified-by-cfl-and-cflpa/

Eliminates the current requirement for an option year on all future contracts with the exception of first contracts for rookie players.

https://cfldb.ca/faq/compensation/

Effective with the ratification of the 2014 CBA, all first CFL contract players must sign a standard player contract of one year, plus one additional year at the team's option, which effectively makes it a two year contract.

Maybe consider changing your user name. Might I suggest Nurse Intern CFL as a more fitting alternative? :)

Edited by blue_gold_84

26 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

So basically Wilder is saying, he has a choice. Stay home take a higher paying job with less risk of injury. Or leave home for less money and serious risk of injury. He's gotta do what he feels is best for his family. And from the sounds of it, the CFL isn't that right now. I can stand behind that. Gotta do what you gotta do.

I can relate, in that I had to leave a job I loved dearly due to lack of pay. It was at a non profit so obviously different situation. But I didn't want to go, my employers didn't want me to go. But at the end of the day I had a child on the way and I have to take care of my family.

Not sure how anyone can fault a guy for that.

Or maybe his old man or his agent have enough money to float him a loan for a year while he trains and his agent networks. Nobody is saying he's off to go be a sandwich artist or work the lumber aisle at home depot... just that not risking his health for a year is an actual option for him and the Argos had better respect that.

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Or maybe his old man or his agent have enough money to float him a loan for a year while he trains and his agent networks. Nobody is saying he's off to go be a sandwich artist or work the lumber aisle at home depot... just that not risking his health for a year is an actual option for him and the Argos had better respect that.

Well he said he's working 60 hr weeks in construction, and then training at the Y as they have child care. Also most Pro athletes go broke fairly quickly after their career is done. I'd be cautious about assuming his dad is well off. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Are you ******* kidding? Ppl making 50 k who work in factories or the oil fields or whatever else arent putting their health on the line? **** right off. 

A month ago he was mr 1k 1k... Now he has NFL opportunities? Bullshit. 

As someone that works in a factory/industrial setting I can tell you firsthand that my job is nowhere near as physically dangerous as a football player's job is.  Plus I can do my job baring any drastic health issues until retirement age.  The best a football player can hope for (outside Tom Brady or a kicker) seems to be late 30s.    

If a Team can cut a player whenever they like even with a contract then I have no problem with Wilder trying to get more $$$.  He may not succeed but I wish him luck all the same.

basically, they gotta get something in the rules that state, if a player and team agree to allow a player to leave for NFL opportunities mid contract, the player when/if they return is still property of the team they left and must complete the contract unless the they can agree to another one.

Seems like that's the most fair thing and would avoid this type of situation. I'm not sure why either side wouldn't want to do this.