Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

13 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Defensive coordinator Corey Chamblin not planning on returning to Argos https://goo.gl/fb/5oFWxz  via @JDunk12

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/06/defensive-coordinator-corey-chamblin-not-planning-return-argos/

Link is broken. but the tweet is frrom Justin Dunk. 

Wow that's interesting.... Wonder what he has in the works...? 

10 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And too much of a coward to actually own his comment publicly. Hiding behind anonymity isn't a way to inspire change.

What a ridiculous thing to say ... no player is going to put his name to that at the risk of his job.

That player, whoever they are, is right. Ambrosie has done a good job so far, but not for the players. As it relates to the players, he’s been worse than Orridge.

1 minute ago, blueingreenland said:

Hmmm. Seems to me Ambroise's move to take out contact during the season (practices) was done for the players, don't ya think?

But then as the article says, they are here for an extra week without pay so for guys who make near minimum they would probably sacrifice their health for another paycheck. NOt saying it's good for them in the long run but that seems to be the mentality.

17 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Hmmm. Seems to me Ambroise's move to take out contact during the season (practices) was done for the players, don't ya think?

Well, we know of at least one player who doesn’t like it. So ... who knows? Maybe done for the players but did they want it?

Commish dont work for the players..  He works for the owners. The bottom line is if players are pissed they can talk to their PA about all this stuff since they agreed to it all in the first place. 

Lol since when do commissioners care about players wants and needs? In what sport does that actually occur? None. 

In the CFL, they really should care about the players. You don’t give the players a place worth working, the quality of this game suffers. Major leagues don’t have to attract players. The CFL does. And having your commissioner tell players “if you don’t like the money go get another job” is not a big selling point.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

In the CFL, they really should care about the players. You don’t give the players a place worth working, the quality of this game suffers. Major leagues don’t have to attract players. The CFL does. And having your commissioner tell players “if you don’t like the money go get another job” is not a big selling point.

Its the truth tho. 

If they dont like it they dont have to come. Nobody is forcing them to sign these contracts. They do it for an opportunity. 

If people honestly think the CFL could afford to pay players more... I give you more than half empty stadiums in Toronto and BC as examples why they cant.

Im sure they'd love to be able to pay everyone 6 figures each.. But they cant... They arent the NFL and maybe the problem is some people think it should be... Its not tho and never will be... 9 teams vs 32... Million dollar TV contract vs Billions... The money just isnt there... 40 million vs 400 million... 

Its just impossible

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Mike said:

What a ridiculous thing to say ... no player is going to put his name to that at the risk of his job.

That player, whoever they are, is right. Ambrosie has done a good job so far, but not for the players. As it relates to the players, he’s been worse than Orridge.

Saying "we have lost in faith in the commissioner" doesn't accomplish anything. Wouldn't actually creating a dialogue with the league be the more productive thing to do?

Like it or not, there's only so much money to go around in the CFL. The commissioner pointing out the obvious doesn't make him uncaring of his players.

Lets pretend the CFL could afford to pay players 6 figures each... Players would then ***** noone is getting 7. 

Its just a whining cycle of constant greed. 

Im just wondering if these players look up in the stands in Toronto or BC.. Or if they think the 22 to 25000 in montreal hamilton ottawa is actually 60000. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Lets pretend the CFL could afford to pay players 6 figures each... Players would then ***** noone is getting 7. 

Its just a whining cycle of constant greed. 

Im just wondering if these players look up in the stands in Toronto or BC.. Or if they think the 22 to 25000 in montreal hamilton ottawa is actually 60000. 

I don't think it's greed to want to be paid more.

Fact is, these players are putting their long-term health on the line. And now, we understand more than ever the long-term effects playing football has on them.

Don't complain when players decide not to come to play in the CFL.

If you're privy to the all the financials of each CFL team, please share.

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

Fact is, these players are putting their long-term health on the line. And now, we understand more than ever the long-term effects playing football has on them.

If you're privy to the all the financials of each CFL team, please share.

Whats your breaking point ticket wise to go to a game? Cuz if they want more pay... That just means you and me are gonna have to pay more money to go. I dont have club financials but it doesnt take much to see 5000 ppl at BMO or 20000 in BC. 

19 minutes ago, JCon said:

All valid points. But what are players expecting Ambrosie to do?

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

All valid points. But what are players expecting Ambrosie to do?

I think they want the opportunity to jet if they get an offer from the NFL. Football life is so short and they want the chance to make real money if they can. The commish needs to balance the needs of the CFL with the realities of where it fits in against the NFL. The commish also needs to look at how the XFL, if it actually gets off the ground, may affect recruiting to the CFL.

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Whats your breaking point ticket wise to go to a game? Cuz if they want more pay... That just means you and me are gonna have to pay more money to go. I dont have club financials but it doesnt take much to see 5000 ppl at BMO or 20000 in BC. 

It's pointless conversation unless you know how much each team is making.

My favourite agreements are those that tie revenue to the salary cap. NHL style.

Now, the breakdown between what the owners and players make is the key.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think they want the opportunity to jet if they get an offer from the NFL. Football life is so short and they want the chance to make real money if they can. The commish needs to balance the needs of the CFL with the realities of where it fits in against the NFL. The commish also needs to look at how the XFL, if it actually gets off the ground, may affect recruiting to the CFL.

I dont see why they dont let that happen but reality is thats a PA issue. PA agreed to the CBA. 

1 minute ago, Zontar said:

Re Dimebag Duron.

Recreational weed might be " much ado about nothing" but the extent to which he flouted the law and common sense combined with his infamous self entitlement speaks to the character and moral intelligence of the guy.

And for that he deserves some kind of punishment

He's a Rider, what more can the courts do to him? The guy needs copious amounts of weed just to handle life in Riderville and now he's been sentenced to at least another season there.