Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

3 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I was on board with this. Then I started thinking, I love the cold weather and snow games. To me, those are a big part of Canada and the CFL. I’m not sure I’d be as interested in a post season that takes place without any snow on the ground. 

I love those games too but I wouldn't shed any tears if they went away.  2011 East Final in -30 weather was a little much.   I had a great time and the result was good.... but I still felt bad for the players.

Just now, Atomic said:

I love those games too but I wouldn't shed any tears if they went away.  2011 East Final in -30 weather was a little much.   I had a great time and the result was good.... but I still felt bad for the players.

And the game is so much different. You build a team to get you to the playoffs based on one type of weather, then it changes completely.

Yes, I get that both teams play in the same conditions but it affects them differently.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/20/cfl-reveals-list-10-negotiation-list-players-team/

Here are the bombers that were revealed.

Jayson DiManche

LB

Southern Illinois

Quinton Flowers

QB

South Florida

Alex McGough

QB

Florida International

Felix Menard-Briere

K

Montreal

Shakim Phillips

WR

Boston College

Cody Prewitt

DB

Ole Miss

Marcus Sayles

DB

West Georgia

Tharold Simon

DB

LSU

Chris Streveler

QB

South Dakota

Corey Washington

REC

Newberry College

I remember noticing DiManche and Washington on a list of players followed by Ted Goveia on Twitter a year or so ago ... also had a few other interesting names on there too.

De’Mornay Pierson El (Nebraska), Charles Nelson (Oregon), Denarius Moore (NFL)

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

RG 3 on Hamilton's neg list, Colin Kap on Montreal's neg list?  Where's Johnny Football?  Has that ship sailed?  Sorry not as on top of CFL news this time of year...

He is still on Hamilton's... these lists are only partial.  10 out of up to 45 names.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

but I thought if a draft pick goes back to school, they remain the teams property.

Nope.

From here: https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/20/deeper-dive-tuesdays-negotiation-list-reveal/

WPG — Quinton Flowers, QB, South Florida, 6-0, 210 pounds

When you put the numbers together on Flowers, they come together to make the recipe for a successful CFL quarterback. At a listed six-feet, he’s undersized at South Florida — the same school that produced S.J. Green — but his stats are likely what stuck the Bombers’ eyes on the 23-year-old. He’s thrown for 8,124 yards through a four-year career at SFU (he had light usage his freshman year), completing 57.7 per cent of his passes for 71 TDs and 23 interceptions.

When he gets out of the pocket, Flowers is a nightmare for opposing defences. He’s rushed for 3,672 yards, including an eye-popping 1,530 yards in 2016. He followed that up with 1,078 yards on the ground as a senior. That dual-threat ability should have Kyle Walters and Mike O’Shea very hopeful that Flowers could make his way to training camp in the not-too-distant future.

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Isn't Lamar Jackson, on Lions' neg list, a potential top 10 pick this year?

I doubt he goes top 10.  Maybe first round.  However it wouldn't surprise me if pretty much every top QB coming out of the NCAA gets neg-listed.  You never know when it might pay off or a guy will flame out of the NFL early.