Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

All the guy does is perform. 85% + last year, with a long of 57. And is a very serviceable punter as well.  Yet he continues to struggle to find a job. Hands down better then guys like maher. bede, etc. 

But he blew out his knee chasing down a missed field goal. If he's healthy, hopefully he can rebound. 

20 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah...pretty much went there for intermittent value more than any ting...I truley think most there are pre-pubescent and pubescent teens posting there...and the rest of the majority un-educated life long saskatchewan residents..and 2 percent decent knowledgeable fans

I saw your post telling CalgaryRiderFan to quit being so cranky and something about his mom's basement. It was a pretty benign post that's made there about a thousand times a day. However, CRF is the owner of the site over there and is pretty thin skinned when anyone "disrespects" him. His mods are ultra protective of him too, because  CRF allows them to run roughshod over his forum. CRF doesn't even realize how badly he's being used.

It's too bad because Riderfans, if run correctly, had the traffic to drive discussion and had his mods and CRF not been so narrow minded they could have picked up a ton of traffic from around the league's fan base. The moderation just went completely off the deep end a couple years ago when the Riders winning fell off the rails. Now the place is a **** show.

Edited by gcn11

yeah that was it...and like you said..pretty tame compared to most insults thrown around there...actual comment was "are you mad because your mom made you take up your dirty dishes from the basement?"

so yeah..obviously over sensitive there ..still entertaining tho

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah that was it...and like you said..pretty tame compared to most insults thrown around there...actual comment was "are you mad because your mom made you take up your dirty dishes from the basement?"

so yeah..obviously over sensitive there ..still entertaining tho

When the moderators and their lackeys can't shout you down when you question Rider moves they go to plan B...banning.

44 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

place is a cult bottom line. only reason to go there is for the lulz and see what kind of crazy **** they'll try and justify. 

Yea...the best one this week is that some maroon suggested that Sam Hurl is barely a drop off to Muamba. That in itself is normal on any forum, one fan making an outlandish statement. However, about 3/4 of the people who responded to that agreed with him.

Not our league, but weird enough I wanted to call it out:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917735/article/league-could-change-dpi-from-spot-foul-to-15yard-penalty?campaign=tw-nf-sf183146560-sf183146560&sf183146560=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

One of the surprising proposals offered by the Competition Committee is to change the penalty for defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty at most, NFL Network's Judy Battista reported Tuesday. This is more in line with how the game is refereed on the collegiate level.

If you're a db beaten on a  >15 yard route, wouldn't it always be the right play to grab your receiver if you can get to him?  

A deep pass into the endzone, it might be a safer play to blow up the receiver than risk the TD, especially towards the end of the game.

Seems like this won't just make db strategy weird, it'll also increase the wear and tear on receivers.

How does this work in the NCAA?

27 minutes ago, johnzo said:

If you're a db beaten on a  >15 yard route, wouldn't it always be the right play to grab your receiver if you can get to him?  

A deep pass into the endzone, it might be a safer play to blow up the receiver than risk the TD, especially towards the end of the game.

Seems like this won't just make db strategy weird, it'll also increase the wear and tear on receivers.

How does this work in the NCAA?

It's not that bad... if you're beaten so badly that you don't think you have a play on the ball, then you're probably not going to be able to interfere with the player, either.  It would be very difficult to consciously make that decision on the fly.  I believe some high school conferences in the US allow refs to assess an extra 15 yards if the interference appears intentional.

Same thing with TDs... it does add a little extra complexity but generally if you are going to tackle a guy in the endzone rather than letting him catch the ball, you're still giving them the ball at the one with four (or three) cracks at the endzone.  There aren't many situations where that is a smart play.

It actually works out fine most of the time and you don't get bogus 40 yard PI's.

33 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Not our league, but weird enough I wanted to call it out:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917735/article/league-could-change-dpi-from-spot-foul-to-15yard-penalty?campaign=tw-nf-sf183146560-sf183146560&sf183146560=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Probably would only be a real issue at the end of a half or game, where the offense needs a TD to win...

...but I am not against considering this rule change

I am not in favour at all.  There are already situations where the DB takes a smart penalty to interfere because otherwise he will allow a sure TD.  This will mean that DB's will be coached to change their approach when the ball is 20 yards or more downfield.  Instead of playing the ball, they will be coached to play the man first.  There will be a lot more physical play further downfield, especially when you have smaller DB's against taller receivers - the so-called 50-50 balls. 

I do not want to see more penalties.  This will lead to more penalties, because the smart play will be to take more penalties. 

7 minutes ago, MC said:

I am not in favour at all.  There are already situations where the DB takes a smart penalty to interfere because otherwise he will allow a sure TD.  This will mean that DB's will be coached to change their approach when the ball is 20 yards or more downfield.  Instead of playing the ball, they will be coached to play the man first.  There will be a lot more physical play further downfield, especially when you have smaller DB's against taller receivers - the so-called 50-50 balls. 

I do not want to see more penalties.  This will lead to more penalties, because the smart play will be to take more penalties. 

I think this may give the DBs more incentive to go for the ball, creating more turnovers.

I'm curious to see how this is going to affect the game.

I'm happy the NFL is thinking of trying it before the CFL does. About time our feeder league did something for us. :) 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, gcn11 said:

I saw your post telling CalgaryRiderFan to quit being so cranky and something about his mom's basement. It was a pretty benign post that's made there about a thousand times a day. However, CRF is the owner of the site over there and is pretty thin skinned when anyone "disrespects" him. His mods are ultra protective of him too, because  CRF allows them to run roughshod over his forum. CRF doesn't even realize how badly he's being used.

It's too bad because Riderfans, if run correctly, had the traffic to drive discussion and had his mods and CRF not been so narrow minded they could have picked up a ton of traffic from around the league's fan base. The moderation just went completely off the deep end a couple years ago when the Riders winning fell off the rails. Now the place is a **** show.

It was a decent place when the original owner was running things. CRF came in, bought the site & down the hill it went. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was a decent place when the original owner was running things. CRF came in, bought the site & down the hill it went. 

Makes total sense. I did not know that but it explains a lot. If Reynolds, as he mentioned on a radio interview a couple months ago, sticks to his plan of more online interaction with the fan base and the team launches it's own forum the defections from Riderfans will be en masse to get away from their moderators.  CRF better clean up his act before then or he will have the Riders equivalent of OurBombers on his hands. He already downgraded that site big time after he was too cheap to back up his site and it completely vanished only to be brought back in a substandard way.

Edited by gcn11