Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

12 hours ago, johnzo said:

whoah, Quick Parker was a nightmare made real (as a football player)

I don't know much about Parker's character but I do know that he's going to heaven, because St. Peter doesn't have Chris Walby to keep him out.

yeah this one kind of hit me hard - not sure why other than I still remember him being an O Lineman's worse nightmare. Really did hit me hard!

Drew Edwards - @scratchingpost  19h19 hours ago
#Riders drop QB Boykin from neg list after domestic violence allegation #CFL 
http://3downnation.com/2018/03/27/riders-neg-list-quarterback-trevone-boykin-accused-domestic-violence/

#Q13FOX  11h11 hours ago
Seahawks release QB Trevone Boykin amid domestic violence allegations http://bit.ly/2Ic2mGK

At least the Riders did the right thing as soon as they heard about it, even before he was released by the Seahawks.

11 hours ago, TBURGESS said:
Drew Edwards - @scratchingpost  19h19 hours ago
#Riders drop QB Boykin from neg list after domestic violence allegation #CFL 
http://3downnation.com/2018/03/27/riders-neg-list-quarterback-trevone-boykin-accused-domestic-violence/

#Q13FOX  11h11 hours ago
Seahawks release QB Trevone Boykin amid domestic violence allegations http://bit.ly/2Ic2mGK

At least the Riders did the right thing as soon as they heard about it, even before he was released by the Seahawks.

It goes to show that Chris Jones' acumen in choosing players is as keen as ever.

Edited by tracker

4 hours ago, BBRT said:

yeah this one kind of hit me hard - not sure why other than I still remember him being an O Lineman's worse nightmare. Really did hit me hard!

yeah, watching him was like watching a way more consistent Odell Willis.  like you know how Odell gets on those 6-game tears where he's unstoppable?  I remember Quick having multiple entire seasons like that.

James 'Quick' Parker has died at age 60. Played for Edmonton, BC & Toronto from 1980-1991.  Maybe the best defensive lineman who ever played.  He was as fast as a rocket off the line on the snap of the ball giving opposing OL fits. The CFL started keeping sack records because of him. He was a four time winner of the  Grey Cup.  A CFL All Star multiple times. Defensive Player of the Year in the CFL in 1982. Grey Cup Defensive Player Of The  Game in 82.  Won the West Division's Dr. Beattie Martin Trophy as well in 1982.  He was a  great player & from everything I've read & heard, he was a nice guy off the field. 

59 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Why do you want to get rid of Okpa?

Well, Bauming and Knuckles mentioned from previous weeks that with or without Muamba, Bombers need to unload some $$$ and Okpa was mentioned as the one having a big price tag. 

Not that I agree with it. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

12 hours ago, Rich said:

D-bag Rider fans who called Chick greedy and accused him of disloyalty for not taking a pay cut are now tripping over themselves to praise him and praise themselves for loving and supporting him so much.

Shameless.

From 3Downnation:

Dwayne Johnson opens up about depression, says release from CFL was ‘worst time’

By Elahe Izadi

Posted on April 2, 2018 by 3Down Staff // 45 Comments

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is speaking publicly about his and his family’s struggles with depression.

In an interview with the U.K.’s Express, Johnson spoke about his mother’s attempted suicide, which took place when he was 15. “Struggle and pain is real. I was devastated and depressed,” he told the outlet. “I reached a point where I didn’t want to do a thing or go anywhere. I was crying constantly.”   After the interview published, Johnson tweeted that he received “tons of responses. Thank you.”

“We all go thru the sludge/(expletive) and depression never discriminates,” he continued. “Took me a long time to realize it but the key is to not be afraid to open up. Especially us dudes have a tendency to keep it in. You’re not alone.”

Months after her family had been evicted from their apartment, Johnson’s mother attempted suicide. She walked out of her car on a major interstate in Nashville and into oncoming traffic, with giant trucks and cars swerving out of the way.

Johnson has previously revealed details about his mother’s suicide attempt. In a February Instagram post about filming a scene involving suicide in his HBO series Ballers, Johnson wrote that the moment had him reflect on “how many of us have been affected by suicide of our friends, family. Struggle and pain is real. We’ve all been there on some level or another.”

“I grabbed her and pulled her back on the gravel shoulder of the road,” Johnson wrote about his mother’s incident. “What’s crazy about that suicide attempt is that to this day, she has no recollection of it whatsoever. Probably best she doesn’t.”  He added: “We got lucky that day when I was 15 and that ain’t always the case.”

Years before he became one of the world’s wealthiest actors, Johnson pursued a football career but was beset by several injuries and was let go from the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League within a year of being signed. Soon after, his girlfriend broke up with him. “That was my absolute worst time,” he told Express.

The candid comments about depression from such a successful actor, known for both his bubbly personality and tough-guy persona, brought on a wave of responses, including from advocacy organizations promoting the help they offer.

The Lifeline tweeted “If you feel like you have no reason to live, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for help and support.”

On Twitter, someone wrote: “I know it will help a lot of people to see someone so confident that also had issues with it. Myself included.” Johnson replied: “Hey man I get it . . . Stay strong and make sure you’re talking to good people about it . . . No shame in getting help and wanting to be better.”

Johnson told Express that he and his mother “both healed but we’ve always got to do our best to pay attention when other people are in pain. We have to help them through it and remind them they are not alone.”

– Washington Post

Didn't McDuff give us the cold shoulder when he returned ....or did we give him the brush off...Can't remember but his thoughts that the RedB'S were going to be an institution for awhile were totally out to lunch....In any case 'bin there dun that' and we don't need him

15 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Didn't McDuff give us the cold shoulder when he returned ....or did we give him the brush off...Can't remember but his thoughts that the RedB'S were going to be an institution for awhile were totally out to lunch....In any case 'bin there dun that' and we don't need him

I think he got offered a lot of money to go to Ottawa, more than we were prepared to offer at the time. I don't think there was any issue between the Bombers and McDuffie.