Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

You get over looked in favour of Lefevour who was even worse in the game they both got to play then yeah the team has shown the confidence they have in you. Kind of disgraceful if you ask me. You make it seem like he's the guy you're grooming and then one bad performance in a game where the entire offense was flatter than the province of Saskatchewan and the guy is riding the pine... How do you come back from that?

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You get over looked in favour of Lefevour who was even worse in the game they both got to play then yeah the team has shown the confidence they have in you. Kind of disgraceful if you ask me. You make it seem like he's the guy you're grooming and then one bad performance in a game where the entire offense was flatter than the province of Saskatchewan and the guy is riding the pine... How do you come back from that?

I wouldn't read too much into that decision, I think the Calgary game was a special circumstance as they needed to lock up second place.  They knew Mitchell and a lot of the Stamps starters would not be playing, they knew the weather was going to be sloppy crap and they were going to keep the ball on the ground for most of the game.  They had both Harris and Flanders in the backfield so choosing LeFevour with his running ability to execute that game plan over Davis is not a stretch.  Best of all it worked out exactly as planned.

4 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Hate to say it but I agree, they must not have liked his time in limited action or in practice..   Something isn't adding up.

That is a reasonable supposition, but the real question is why he wasn't replaced long ago with someone who had potential. Are the picking that slim?

Franklin says he had no inclinations to ever go to SSK.

And has given notice and a special thank you to all Rider fans for living rent free in their heads for all  this time and given top billing in their fan circle jerk fantasies

Turns out THE PLAN was for Jones to just wait around until a quarterback shakes loose and throw cash at him

What a visionary.

What a joke.

Edited by Zontar

4 hours ago, Zontar said:

Franklin says he had no inclinations to ever go to SSK.

And has given notice and a special thank you to all Rider fans for living rent free in their heads for all  this time and given top billing in their fan circle jerk fantasies

Turns out THE PLAN was for Jones to just wait around until a quarterback shakes loose and throw cash at him

What a visionary.

What a joke.

Well, it sorta worked that way, didn't it? 

@TSN_Sports - Tiger-Cats confirm offer to Manziel. MORE: https://www.tsn.ca/tiger-cats-confirm-offer-to-manziel-1.961287

@TSNDaveNaylor - 
The @Ticats have made an offer of a 2-year contract to @JManziel2. Offer made on Saturday. Believed to be a competitive offer, not just the minimum to extend their rights beyond 10-day window that closes today. #CFL #Ticats

By making an offer to @JManziel2, the @Ticats extend their rights to him for one year. Sides can continue to negotiate, no real urgency for either side to get a deal done right away.

Matthew Scianitti @TSNScianitti -
Never a feeling in Hamilton that #Ticats would rush to sign Manziel. This is a long process, carefully discussed by Caretaker Bob Young, President Scott Mitchell, VP of personnel Kent Austin, GM Eric Tillman, director of football ops Shawn Burke and head coach June Jones #CFL 

Interesting statement by Manziel’s agent. To me sounds like he’s looking for a Zach Collaros deal in the $500k/year range. End of January deadline too.  It’s gonna be intriguing to see what Hamilton does. Today Manziel holds value for the Ticats after Feb 1 sounds like he’ll be worthless unless they’re willing to ante up. If it were me I’d trade his rights to Montreal, they might be willing to part with some good assets/futures.

Last Manziel update:

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/08/johnny-manziels-agent-breaks-silence-loudest-possible-way

His agent sez:

So that there will not be any ambiguity in regards to financial expectations, and so the public understands how seriously Johnny is considering this move, I will tell you that we believe ‘fair deal’ means on par with what Hamilton has paid their QB in recent years, despite not having much on-field success. If we cannot reach a deal with Hamilton by this date, we will turn our focus to several other professional options readily available to us.”

ouch.  he wants top-flight CFL starting QB money ... with zero CFL track record ... and then takes a sideways **** on Austin and the rest of  the TiCat management.

The note also says that Hamilton has allowed the Manziel camp to negotiate with one other team in the hopes of working out a trade for his rights. 

I am always wrong at predicting but I predict Johnny Football winds up in Montreal.  Throwing a hail mary on a high-profile CFL newb like him is a classic Als move.

Ferragamo.Vince1.JPG

I also predict that the mangled French at his press conference will be hilarious.

Edited by johnzo

" Hamilton also graciously gave me permission to discuss potential trade options with at least one other club. Johnny and I met with those executives in Texas to discuss their organization and thoughts on Johnny's market and value around the CFL. "

So who was this team and why do I suspect it was the Riders pre-Collaros?  Just another d-bag American agent that thinks his client is going to come in and dominate the CFL in his first year.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne