Should Ricky Ray Retire (On A High Note), Or Keep Trying To Go Beyond 40?

USABomberfan

Should Ricky Ray Step Down At This Time?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Time for Ricky Ray To Retire?

From frito rays situation, he should retire. Go out on a high note, reasonably healthy, having had a long decorated career. Weve seen ray get beaten raw a lot over the last fist full of years. Its going to cost him a great deal in terms of quality of life if he tries to continue. 
I can understand the desire out living the bodies ability to hold up. But ray has never struck me as that kind of guy. Most qbs arent, Its really hard to be when you are allways the nail and never the hammer. 

Ray could even "retire" now and see how things look mid season. If he stays in reasonable shape and has the itch some one would happily over pay for half a season and a post season run. And he could insure a decent OL to protect him. 

Idk if hes the type to go into media, or coaching. The hardest thing in sports is when you reach a point where you go from competing, to not doing any thing. 

Non issue. Strictly a media thing.

Reigning East MOP. 5000+ yards. Played 19/20 games. Won a Grey Cup. Has a young family and a chance to play for a coach he loves with a team he loves for half a million dollars. Do the maths.

At the GC rally, the crowd kept chanting "One More Year!" at him whenever he touched the Cup. When he got to the mic, what did he say? "One more? Why not two?"

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Non issue. Strictly a media thing.

Reigning East MOP. 5000+ yards. Played 19/20 games. Won a Grey Cup. Has a young family and a chance to play for a coach he loves with a team he loves for half a million dollars. Do the maths.

At the GC rally, the crowd kept chanting "One More Year!" at him whenever he touched the Cup. When he got to the mic, what did he say? "One more? Why not two?"

Maybe the Bobby Orr syndrome is kicking in. Orr decided to pack it in when he realized he had to choose between being able to play with his kids and walk with them or play hockey. Orr was class all the way and if I remember correctly, he even gave money back to the Red Wings when he chose to retire.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Maybe the Bobby Orr syndrome is kicking in. Orr decided to pack it in when he realized he had to choose between being able to play with his kids and walk with them or play hockey. Orr was class all the way and if I remember correctly, he even gave money back to the Red Wings when he chose to retire.

One of my fondest memories is of driving up to Parry Sound for the first time and going into the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame building and seeing all the sights and watching the videos about the greatest hockey player of all time. It really drives home just how great he was. Brought tears to my eyes.

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

One of my fondest memories is of driving up to Parry Sound for the first time and going into the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame building and seeing all the sights and watching the videos about the greatest hockey player of all time. It really drives home just how great he was. Brought tears to my eyes.

Why would they be showing videos of Gordie Howe at the Bobby Orr museum?

On 11/29/2017 at 12:16 AM, Zontar said:

Argos will go all in on Collaros and you can't pay em both without somebody getting a haircut and riding the bench.  Someboy wins  and its never the player pushing 40.

One thing the Argos could do is potentially give him a succession backup QB title if Ray decided to stick around one more year, and if Ray did go down I think they'd have a better option in him than they do currently in Fajardo or Matthews, and Trestman wouldn't have to go through the pains of developing a raw QB.

I disagree with the notion that Collaros is so damaged he can't play anymore.  To me, his struggles this last year were a byproduct both of Kent Austin losing the team and ruining the chemistry he had with Collaros, and of course the TiCats OL being awful especially early on.  Him going back to Toronto would give him a chance to reboot in the system he was reared up in to begin with, and a good coach in Trestman to work with.  And I agree that I don't believe he's a completely broken record like Willy.  I'd say if the Argos didn't land Franklin, I'd rank Collaros 2nd on their shopping list.

15 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

One thing the Argos could do is potentially give him a succession backup QB title if Ray decided to stick around one more year, and if Ray did go down I think they'd have a better option in him than they do currently in Fajardo or Matthews, and Trestman wouldn't have to go through the pains of developing a raw QB.

I disagree with the notion that Collaros is so damaged he can't play anymore.  To me, his struggles this last year were a byproduct both of Kent Austin losing the team and ruining the chemistry he had with Collaros, and of course the TiCats OL being awful especially early on.  Him going back to Toronto would give him a chance to reboot in the system he was reared up in to begin with, and a good coach in Trestman to work with.  And I agree that I don't believe he's a completely broken record like Willy.  I'd say if the Argos didn't land Franklin, I'd rank Collaros 2nd on their shopping list.

Ray extending his career by even one year makes it rather difficult for the Argos to go after Franklin for the following reasons.

1.  Unless they give Ray a haircut (...and how can they?) the Argos won't have the SMS resources to win the bidding war that's likely to occur.

2.  Franklin probably doesn't want to spend another year sitting behind an established #1 QB, although with Ray's injury history he'd likely end up with a substantial amount of game time.

If I was the ARGO'S I would convince him to come on as a "player coach" as the back-up or 3rd stringer at a back-up salary which would be more than an entry level coach salary by a big amount.

That way they can go after Franklin..or whomever comes free in free agency to mentor and help develop him..he can be involved in the game day game plan and also be a nice insurance policy in a game when the starter goes down, or the offence is struggling and may need a boost.

I have no idea. He's obviously made a lot of cash but has he invested in successfully businesses or has it been all models and bottles for Ricky Ray? What are his prospects like for post football career opportunities?

Also Trestman obviously knows how to create an offense for a less athletic aged qb.

43 minutes ago, bearpants said:

They traded a Canadian lineman to get him... leads me to believe there may be something in pencil already...

FTR, I have no idea if Woods is any good... but we all know Canadian linemen are gold in the CFL...

He was ranked #1 or #2 O-lineman behind Gray in the last draft but I have no idea whether he played a down for the Argos this year or not.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, Noeller said:

Interesting note that Terry Jones in Edmonton says when Ray retires, he'll become an assistant coach with Edm under Maas... 

I'd heard this rumour before too... the connection is obvious... but I'd be surprised if he didn't take his first coaching gig in Toronto...