Matt Lauer/Greg Zaun - when will this end??

kelownabomberfan

21 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It's not relevant.

When Basslicker comes in and talks about the concerns of false accusations, he is accused of not actually caring about that, but instead he's trying to make excuses for Republicans.

It's the exact same thing here.  You claim it's related, but really it's just a reason to be able to bring race into the discussion.  On the left, your argument gets stronger the more -ist and -phobic words you can toss at the other side.  Sexist wasn't getting the results you wanted, so you added racist.  That's all this is.

It would be naive to suggest that race plays no part in how the accuser or accused is viewed, judged and punished by the police, public , media and courts.  Same goes for social standing. 

Racial considerations make this topic even more complicated, not only as accusations but at the prosecutorial stage as well.  Corey Batey (a black college athlete) and Brock Turner (a white college athlete) were both convicted on felony counts of rape.  Batey got a minimum of 15 years in prison.  Turner got a 6 month sentence with a possibility of 3 monthsfor good behavior.  He never even set foot in a prison.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

1) what makes you so concerned about this now? 

2) what does it have to do with the topic of the Hollywood scandal?

3) what has changed to suddenly make false allegations rampant and damaging as opposed to pre-Harvey?

4) regardless of veracity of hard numbers to support or dispute, the stances of false allegations are comparably low. Shouldn’t we focus on ending the lousy behaviour?

This will filter down to mainstream society. If you're not concerned about this then I submit that you & others just like to see the headlines. Seeing celebrities go down. Nothing to do with justice but enjoying the proceedings. Kind of like a crowd at a disaster taking it all in. 

7 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

It would be naive to suggest that race plays no part in how the accuser or accused is viewed, judged and punished by the police, public , media and courts.  Same goes for social standing. 

Racial considerations make this topic even more complicated, not only as accusations but at the prosecutorial stage as well.  Corey Batey (a black college athlete) and Brock Turner (a white college athlete) were both convicted on felony counts of rape.  Batey got a minimum of 15 years in prison.  Turner got a 6 month sentence with a possibility of 3 monthsfor good behavior.  He never even set foot in a prison.

It is incredibly disingenuous to suggest the only difference between the two cases is race.

It is reprehensible that Brock Turner got such a light sentence.  But the cases were not the same.  Not by a long shot.

But I do agree with you that it would be naive to suggest that race plays no part.  It is playing a part right now, allowing you to view Brock Turner as a villain while you paint Corey Batey as a victim.

34 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It is incredibly disingenuous to suggest the only difference between the two cases is race.

It is reprehensible that Brock Turner got such a light sentence.  But the cases were not the same.  Not by a long shot.

But I do agree with you that it would be naive to suggest that race plays no part.  It is playing a part right now, allowing you to view Brock Turner as a villain while you paint Corey Batey as a victim.

Please show where I suggested Corey Batey was a victim.  

22 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

That would mean I think that they both deserve 3 month sentences.  Which I don't.

I would argue that Batey's sentence was just and therefore he was not a victim.  Turner on the other hand....

Then how does Batey factor in at all?  Brock Turner receiving a ridiculously lenient sentence stands alone on its own merit.

There are many differences between the two cases, and race is just one of them.  In fact, race played more heavily into the Batey case because some would argue it was a hate crime to gang rape a white girl and then piss on her face while telling her "This is for 400 years of slavery."

Again, I'm just not sure what point you were attempting to make.

3 months vs 15 years both for felony rape.  Don't know what I need to further explain.  Perhaps that the privileges that come with being white are also extended to being male?

I don't understand why people are so afraid of behaving respectfully around women when they have likely been respectful to their mothers, grandmother's, sisters etc.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:17 PM, nate007 said:

Nicholas Cage wouldn't surprise me... Googles "Nicholas Cage harassment"... Turns out he was arrested for domestic abuse in 2011.

Okay, my real guess is Alton Brown, or maybe Guy Fieri. One of those two.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/batali-steps-down-after-sexual-misconduct-allegations-463400863.html

Well, I wasn't too far off...

20 hours ago, johnzo said:

re: false allegations, they do exist. 

Here is a great example of the difference between a false accusation and a credible accusation.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mike-cernovich-chuck-johnson-alt-right-hyped-anti-schumer-forgery-that-plagiarized-conyers-complaint

It would be good for society if Cernovich got the max 10 years in prison.  He can take James O' Keefe with him.

21 hours ago, johnzo said:

re: false allegations, they do exist. 

Here is a great example of the difference between a false accusation and a credible accusation.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mike-cernovich-chuck-johnson-alt-right-hyped-anti-schumer-forgery-that-plagiarized-conyers-complaint

Yes.  Here is another great example:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/business/media/rape-uva-rolling-stone-frat.html

21 hours ago, johnzo said:

yup, absolutely, and Rolling Stone deserves all the heat it got for the story.

This is a super real problem and messy reporting about it really hurts efforts to do something about it.

And that's the ugly part of these accusations hitting the public arena before they go before the courts.  Because even though the overwhelming majority are likely true, there will be the occasional revelation of a false accusation too.  And certain people will latch onto those ones and use them to discredit real accusations.