Russia Banned From 2018 Winter Olympics by I.O.C.

Rich

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/sports/olympics/ioc-russia-winter-olympics.html

LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Russia’s Olympic team has been barred from the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The country’s government officials are forbidden to attend, its flag will not be displayed at the opening ceremony and its anthem will not sound. Any athletes from Russia who receive special dispensation to compete will do so as individuals wearing a neutral uniform, and the official record books will forever show that Russia won zero medals.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I guess this solves the NHL problem of Ovechkin saying he was going to play regardless of if the NHL was going or not.

Watch Ovi pay the way for the RUS team.

Speaking of which...how bout a GoFundMe for the Russian women's curling team? :wub:

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It's interesting because Russian athletes aren't banned...just the Russian Olympic Team, as an organization. Russian athletes can participate, but only as independents under a neutral flag. And they have to pass a pee test. 

which I think is awesome... if any of them are truly clean athletes... come on down.  I'd hope Russia wouldn't be so anal as to not pay the athletes who still wanna compete to go. 

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Incredible.  They broke the rules so blatantly and systematically, but I never thought they would get hit this hard.  Especially with the Olympics right next door in SK.

i'm very impressed with this.  Russia is no slouch on the world stage and to stand up to them in this fashion is pretty solid.

Remember when Ben Johnson tested positive, and Carl Lewis got the gold medal?

Carl Lewis has broken his silence on allegations that he was the beneficiary of a drugs cover-up, admitting he had tested positive for banned substances but claiming he was just one of "hundreds" of American athletes who were allowed to escape bans.

"There were hundreds of people getting off," he said. "Everyone was treated the same."

Lewis has now acknowledged that he failed three tests during the 1988 US Olympic trials, which under international rules at the time should have prevented him from competing in the Seoul games two months later.

The admission is a further embarrassment for the United States Olympic Committee, which had initially denied claims that 114 positive tests between 1988 and 2000 were covered up. It will add weight to calls by leading anti-doping officials and top athletes for an independent inquiry into the US's record on drug issues.

How bout golden boy, then bum cyclist Lance Armstrong. He never failed a drug test.

There is a lot of politics involved in these things.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Remember when Ben Johnson tested positive, and Carl Lewis got the gold medal?

How bout golden boy, then bum cyclist Lance Armstrong. He never failed a drug test.

There is a lot of politics involved in these things.

Armstrong simply was better at doping than the rest.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lance-armstrong-doping-tour-de-france-2015-1

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

well if they didn't bribe the IOC good for them, it shows that maybe Canada does have some sense here (unless they bribed to get Montreal and Calgary the olympics)

Highest offer usually wins. Although lately its been someone wants to host? Give it to them.

Apparently the USA is not officially set to go to Oly's :o