CFL Schedule Change a Bad Idea

On 12/8/2017 at 3:32 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Once the NHL season starts (even training camps) the CFL is pushed back to page 3 or deeper on the sports pages around the country. How many media people in Winnipeg or elsewhere would be covering training camp or pre season games?

Based on the past two seasons, mathematically, it couldn't be less.

But it would be a shame to end the tradition of Paul Friesen sauntering into practise with 5 minutes left, asking everyone what he missed, then submitting some hatchet piece about OShea disrespecting the fans by having an unkempt beard.

Even if there isn't much of a weather difference between the beginning of November and the current Grey Cup day, I'd still be way more likely to go to more games in June than in October.

I know, I'm a bad fan.  But I go to the games with my wife or kids. And the weather makes a big difference to how much they enjoy it. OK, and I admit it makes a difference for me.  Sitting outside for an evening in June is just so much more enjoyable than pretty much any day we get in October.  Even if it starts off nice, it gets dark sooner and colder, and then I'm disappointed that I wore shorts because I get chilly, and God forbid it starts to rain... we're all a lot softer than the old die-hards.

6 minutes ago, max power said:

Even if there isn't much of a weather difference between the beginning of November and the current Grey Cup day, I'd still be way more likely to go to more games in June than in October.

I know, I'm a bad fan.  But I go to the games with my wife or kids. And the weather makes a big difference to how much they enjoy it. OK, and I admit it makes a difference for me.  Sitting outside for an evening in June is just so much more enjoyable than pretty much any day we get in October.  Even if it starts off nice, it gets dark sooner and colder, and then I'm disappointed that I wore shorts because I get chilly, and God forbid it starts to rain... we're all a lot softer than the old die-hards.

I completely understand. I take my son (7) and it's way more work in October than June.

1 hour ago, Jaxon said:

I think you see that same drop from August to October for the fair weather fans.

There is a drop, but I'm sure if it's the same. I particularly remember being at the game vs. Ottawa when it rained.  We had section 102 almost to ourselves.  However, we had a great time with a couple of older fellows who were quite knowledgeable. 

Do people  really watch the NHL in June? Sure, if the Jets were in the Stanley Cup it'd be nuts, but who cares if the Lightning are playing the Golden Knights or whatever. Suppose the CFL season moves back three weeks, and the Grey Cup is the first weekend in November. Doesn't that mean there's only one potential week of overlap, which, in all likelihood, translates into one, maybe two CFL games? I can't see that being such a big issue.

That said, I'm pretty impartial one way or the other. If the Grey Cup is in Winnipeg in November, I'll go, and not care too much about the weather. It is disappointing how the attendance drops with the temperature, however, and if there were a way to mitigate that a bit, I'd be for it.

I would be ok with the Grey Cup being the 2nd Sunday in November. I would also like to see the season open  3 or 4 weeks earlier  in early June  ... I would expect June attendance to  be better than October attendance ..... I would like a league wide bye week between the regular season ending and the playoffs .... and one or two more semi bye weeks for our 9 team awkwardness with its unusual schedule   demands  (no team should have to play 2 games with less than 5 or 6 days rest in between) ... no week from start to playoffs should have less than two CFL games  broadcast during the week .... nothing is better than Thursday night games in June and late May: it's surreal after a long winter.

Edited by BigBlue

I also  don't have a problem with a short space between the CFL draft and rookie camp opening. The drafted youngsters need to make up their minds quickly instead of stretching out their time to consider their alternatives.  You get an attractive rookie contract, then you take it or don;t. Negotiations always compress to the time available... there is no advantage to delaying & stringing it out. Most of the better college players look forward all winter to playing in the pros.

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I also  don't have a problem with a short space between the CFL draft and rookie camp opening. The drafted youngsters need to make up their minds quickly instead of stretching out their time to consider their alternatives.  You get an attractive rookie contract, then you take it or don;t. Negotiations always compress to the time available... there is no advantage to delaying & stringing it out. Most of the better college players look forward all winter to playing in the pros.

I wonder if the CFLPA would ever agree to standardized rookie contracts?  Or at least caps like in the NHL...  then everything is pretty standard - teams would have contract in hand

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I wonder if the CFLPA would ever agree to standardized rookie contracts?  Or at least caps like in the NHL...  then everything is pretty standard - teams would have contract in hand

I would like that .... dollars in proportion to draft level, scaling up each year for each of three year deal ... take it or leave it ... good players can re-up after their first year