Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

12 minutes ago, Atomic said:

How many players can the Bombers truly say we have the best at their position in the league?

Probably just Stanley Bryant and Travis Bond.  And it looks like we're going to let one walk.  That's too bad.

And the Oilers have McDavid, but I'd rather have Scheifele and Wheeler for less. 

10 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

Poll Question:  Would you rather resign Bond or Randle?

Randle is a great player. He could very easily end up a HOFer and in the all time great bomber db discussion. Bond is the best OL weve dug up since garrick jones, and even better then him. With the difference in rules between Dbs and OL, I think a single great OL can have a great impact then a DB. Bond is a bit younger, and as rare as his ability is finding that in a man his size is even rarer. Guard is generally consider easier to play then tackle, especially blind side tackle. But playing guard especially in the cfl at such a huge stature is also hard. I dont doubt he could play out side and be great at it.  Make it a healthy Mo vs bond or randle vs hardrick and I think you have a very close call. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Remember last time we did that? And Neufeld was part of that. He barely played when he started. I don't know how things will be any different this time. 

They've spent how many high draft picks on offensive linemen? That's how it will be different. We gotta play Canadians somewhere, might as well be in positions they've invested the draft picks in. 

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

Yeah you'd think between Goossen, Chungh, Couture, Spooner, Neufeld, Cody Speller and the 7th overall pick this year, we can manage to start 3 Canadian OL.

I believe that is usually the number of linemen you'd want if trying to go 3 nationals on the line.   one backup per plus another... so technically, we would be thin imo with "draft pick #1" needing to be considered as depth.   I imagine we are angling towards this idea in theory but can we make it work with who we have now?

Couture can backup Goosen and/or start as a guard I'd assume..

Spooner, Guard/centre backup.  

Speller, unknown. 

Neufeld start at guard/backup at guard.

seems like we are 2 injuries away from panic mode..

Edited by SPuDS
theorizing depth..

Most teams only dress 6 OL on gameday, with the odd exception dressing 7.

I think you'd find 5 National OL on the 46-man roster of a team starting 3, with perhaps another on the IR and another on the PR.

We have the depth to start 3.  I'm less concerned about depth and more concerned about whether we have a third man who is good enough to be the opening day starter at guard.

39 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Any position on the team where this doesn't hold true?

well when you have multiple people in a unit where one person can fill a few spots, I tend to think its a bit different.  

20 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Or any team in the league.

for o-line and d-line sure..  RB or LB on the other hand..

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Most teams only dress 6 OL on gameday, with the odd exception dressing 7.

I think you'd find 5 National OL on the 46-man roster of a team starting 3, with perhaps another on the IR and another on the PR.

We have the depth to start 3.  I'm less concerned about depth and more concerned about whether we have a third man who is good enough to be the opening day starter at guard.

sure, on established teams with roles defined and everyone on the same page.. with us switching from 2-3 and not really knowing who is gonna go where (or how long they may last health/skill-wise)  I think its a bit more prudent for us to have 6-7 linemen available out of camp and work it down to 5-6 possibly at some time.   I get what people are saying,  for sure but I also don't want to be in a situation  where our o-line is in shambles by week 6 and we have no solutions for it..  o-line is too important to the success of this team.. we finally have one that is solid and dependable..  something we haven't seen here in damn near a decade..

On 2018-01-16 at 2:31 PM, TrueBlue said:

No offence at all to Bond, but I'd argue Randle is more of the "core" of this team than Bond. 

No offence to Randle, but how good was this team before Bond entered the starting lineup?

The entire O-Line went from below average to great, simply due to Travis Bond starting over Patty Neufeld. 

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Remember last time we did that? And Neufeld was part of that. He barely played when he started. I don't know how things will be any different this time. 

33 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Did no one watch the last few games of the year? Neuf played just fine. His health I can understand being in question. But his ability to play guard well has been established as far as I'm concerned.

If this team feels that Couture is ready and that Spooner/Neufeld is the right 6th OL... I'm okay with this - if Neufeld is pencilled in, this is another Hurl type move

Again - Bond is worth both Foketi/Hardrick...  we could easily have a team with both him and Randle that argument is a straw dog

If Bryant does down in game one, I'd much rather have Bond shifting over than anyone else on the roster right now...

If Bryant was to go down in a game Hardrick I would think would shift over..and Neufeld to Right Tackle...any extended time off then in comes Foketti...and I'd be fine on that.

To be honest..Foketti would start at a tackle position on any team in the league last year...and this year as well...he is a real luxury that we have been able to keep him satisfied for 3 years now and not have bolted on us

37 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Once again if Chris Walby thinks Neufeld is very talented than I'll take his word over others.

I understand the logic here, at the same time walby similarly attached him self to some very underwhelming OL like this in the past. That said The issue with him isnt based on talent. Its consistency, health, and execution. He could back up for another 5-8 years in the league for sure. But if he is ever gonna be more then a below average starter and above average back up hes gotta figure it out quick fast and in a hurry. 

* some of the guys he has made similar claims about include Jermese jones, and benedict ibisi.  Particularly he was very high on jones, they did a pretty good segment on the two and how much they had talked about playing the line. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 hours ago, SPuDS said:

I believe that is usually the number of linemen you'd want if trying to go 3 nationals on the line.   one backup per plus another... so technically, we would be thin imo with "draft pick #1" needing to be considered as depth.   I imagine we are angling towards this idea in theory but can we make it work with who we have now?

Couture can backup Goosen and/or start as a guard I'd assume..

Spooner, Guard/centre backup.  

Speller, unknown. 

Neufeld start at guard/backup at guard.

seems like we are 2 injuries away from panic mode..

I don't remember Speller, how did they pick him up and when?