Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

Well walters said he wanted to be paid more than Andrew Harris...so not sure where you would think that wasn't true to what Muamba wanted..Pretty sure Walters wouldn't stand up at a presser and flat out lie

It wouldn't really be a lie. Like I said, Muamba could have said  "I want 240k". Which would make him the highest paid CND on the team. Walters to help media/casual fan understand why that is crazy, adds..."Muamba wanted to be paid more than Harris" with the underlying....That's ******* crazy right guys!?! So Muamba never really mentions Harris specifically, but walters is still able to show people why that doesn't make sense by comparing his request to the Teams leader etc. Get what I mean?

Edited by Bigblue204

21 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It wouldn't really be a lie. Like I said, Muamba could have said  "I want 240k". Which would make him the highest paid CND on the team. Walters to help media/casual fan understand why that is crazy, adds..."Muamba wanted to be paid more than Harris" with the underlying....That's ******* crazy right guys!?! So Muamba never really mentions Harris specifically, but walters is still able to show people why that doesn't make sense by comparing his request to the Teams leader etc. Get what I mean?

I agree with this...  Muamba is just leaving Sask where he was getting $235k (?) - probably asking for exactly that even though he's got his off-season bonus already

Walter comment about second highest paid Canadian is a bit cagey too...  That really could be anywhere between $120k and 199k...  

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

Well walters said he wanted to be paid more than Andrew Harris...so not sure where you would think that wasn't true to what Muamba wanted..Pretty sure Walters wouldn't stand up at a presser and flat out lie

I'm not saying Walters lied, he took a simple salary request and put it in context with A.H. to justify his position, which is a questionable tactic imo.   I'm sure Henoc could care less what Harris is earning as long as he gets paid the amount he thinks he is worth.

58 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'm not saying Walters lied, he took a simple salary request and put it in context with A.H. to justify his position, which is a questionable tactic imo.   I'm sure Henoc could care less what Harris is earning as long as he gets paid the amount he thinks he is worth.

Questionable tactic for what?  Contract negotiations?   Negotiations are done, Bombers gave their best offer and were declined.

His comment is more for the fans than Muamba IMO.   If it was meant solely for Muamba and his agent, Walters wouldn't have said it in an interview.

This is a PR move for the fanbase to let them know why we aren't signing him.   

doubt it was for PR....he basically just stated where and how the negotiations went....and the fan base wanted to know what was going on...so he let them know.

I think it's a good thing as well...as a paying fan base you want to know your team's management is doing the things to improve year in and year out...if he had said nothing then people would have kept speculating..spinning crazy stories and rumors and still wondering...now it has been layed out for all to see...we offered this...he wants this....we shall see where it ends up

And who cares he used a name of a player as his reference...any person with half a brain could figure out that if he said only that Henoc wanted to be the highest earning Canadian on the team that it would translate to him wanting more than Harris

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think it's a good thing as well...as a paying fan base you want to know your team's management is doing the things to improve year in and year out...if he had said nothing then people would have kept speculating..spinning crazy stories and rumors and still wondering...now it has been layed out for all to see...we offered this...he wants this....we shall see where it ends up

I call this PR :)

Edit:  To be clear, I didn't intend the PR comment to be negative thing.  PR is public relations,  and he is managing the relationship with the public here.

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

I call this PR :)

Edit:  To be clear, I didn't intend the PR comment to be negative thing.  PR is public relations,  and he is managing the relationship with the public here.

Every press conference is a PR move.  I'm not sure why people get weird about that abbreviation.  Maybe it's too close to PC?

There's a lot being read into this that isn't there.  Seems pretty straight forward.  We made our best offer, they want more.  We won't/can't go higher and after 3 weeks they have made no move to go lower.  They haven't called us back.  We're assuming they're not interested, we're moving on.  And, just for comparison and perspective, the amount of money they wanted was more than what we're paying Harris, who is our highest paid Canadian.

Good on Walters for politely and publicly telling Hardaway we're done with his nonsense.  If Muamba wanted to be in Montreal and he was getting a better offer from Montreal, he would have already signed there.  So at least one of those two things isn't the case.  Does Hardaway call us back now?  Maybe, but unlikely.  That means he has to be the one bringing flowers this time.  He won't want to lose face to do our deal, and he can't save face without Walters' help.  Another trip to the podium and some more PR.

But enough reality, too boring.  Let's go back to the version where Muamba was screaming into the phone at Walters "YO MOTHERFARMER, MAKE ME THE HIGHEST PAID CANADIAN IN THE LEAGUE OR I'M SLITTING YOUR THROAT AND USING YOUR CORPSE FOR A DIAPER GENIE!", or something like that.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Questionable tactic for what?  Contract negotiations?   Negotiations are done, Bombers gave their best offer and were declined.

His comment is more for the fans than Muamba IMO.   If it was meant solely for Muamba and his agent, Walters wouldn't have said it in an interview.

This is a PR move for the fanbase to let them know why we aren't signing him.   

Strictly from a PR standpoint, no need for Walters to justify his actions and to throw in this reference just added fuel to the fire, painting Muamba as the bad guy for asking for so much.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Not a questionable tactic at all by Walters.  He's simply pointing out how far from reality the ask was.   If you have a guy like Henoc, who's good, but hasn't really shown much sustained top-level play, comes in and wants dollars that would put him above what Harris makes, he's completely out to lunch if he thinks that it's going to happen here.   I would think that in talking to Walters and O'Shea, he'd get a sense of what this regime is all about and "rent a player" types aren't going to find a bunch of traction here.    

I sure would love to get a walters bomber jersey with the number being the year we win a GC.... get er done boys.

In the presser it seemed like they are set on starting newf on the OL as the 7th NI. Which worries me to be honest. I hope one of our young NIs else where steal a job. Especially coates. He showed the flashes weve seen with other NI wrs before (most recently JFG) in that he came in and caught every thing thrown near him. But what I really dig is in general how he plays football.  Getting down field and blocking for team mates, never giving up on plays, that blood n guts NI special teams pro.  

Ive always loved wrs that get after it with throwing blocks.  Its contagious,  and leads to all kinds of great things for a team. 

I wouldn’t be able to tell you how many times Kyle Walters has been asked about the the Muamba situation.  And, he kind of expected it during in this press release. 

I think, to clarify the issue, he put the offer/ask in perspective. He told the fans he made a good Bomber offer. The request by the other side was for the highest pay for a Canadian player on the team. It wasn’t going to happen.

I think the Bombers were patient enough, and realized early, that it wasn’t going to happen. 

Many can put the blame on whomever they want, but really, there is no blame. Offer, counter-offer, it’s all part of sports. 

Do the deal or don’t...live with the consequences.  And move on.

Hardaway isn't doing his client any favours.  Muamba's MO is to get the most money but after year 1 he gets released after the team realizes  they just can't justify paying him that much.     Is this truly the best for Muamba?  

I said previously is this thread that yes Muamba's a good player but he's not an impact player like Harris.   So for the team to pay him more than Harris  is  ludicrous.

What I wonder is at what point does the guy just want some job security? You know don't go for the biggest pay day all the time and get a good salary on a stable team and keep playing rather than going through this whole dog and pony show every year trying to play people against each other to get the maximum dollars. 

I really think that Muamba's agent is the driving force behind this. Probably always in his ear about how much money he can make and all that. Guy has been a pain in the ass since day 1 and I just wouldn't pay top dollar and change my teams salary structure for a player who is known to be a total mercenary. 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

What I wonder is at what point does the guy just want some job security? You know don't go for the biggest pay day all the time and get a good salary on a stable team and keep playing rather than going through this whole dog and pony show every year trying to play people against each other to get the maximum dollars. 

I really think that Muamba's agent is the driving force behind this. Probably always in his ear about how much money he can make and all that. Guy has been a pain in the ass since day 1 and I just wouldn't pay top dollar and change my teams salary structure for a player who is known to be a total mercenary. 

If Muamba didn't like it he could always change agents.  My impression has always been that he is a guy who cares about money first.  I remember after we drafted him people called him out for tweeting at Shomari Williams (the number one pick from the year prior) asking him how much his signing bonus was.  Muamba is all about the money, no doubt in my mind.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

If Muamba didn't like it he could always change agents.  My impression has always been that he is a guy who cares about money first.  I remember after we drafted him people called him out for tweeting at Shomari Williams (the number one pick from the year prior) asking him how much his signing bonus was.  Muamba is all about the money, no doubt in my mind.

Not sure why that's necessarily so bad.  His family came over here from the Congo with nothing, so he should be looking for the best deal.  He doesn't want to sign here, that's his call.  I'm not going to hold it against him, just as I won't hold it against Paul Stastny if he doesn't want to sign a deal with us.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

My theory is that he's actually kind of dumb dumb. 

Clearly, for Muamba, it's all about the short term dollars.  How much money can I make this year?  Now, on the one hand I get it.  Football careers can be short and there's no guarantee that there will be a "next year".  So I completely get why he originally left us to go to the NFL.  But since he's come back, he's been little more than a merc.  I wonder if over the longer term, he would have made more money by committing to a team for a longer term.  Sadly, he's someone that might have become one of the great Canadian players, like a Doug Brown, but now, he's probably going to be remembered simply as a  guy who  chased the money for as long as he could.  Oh well, if he's happy, then good on him.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Not sure why that's necessarily so bad.  His family came over here from the Congo with nothing, so he should be looking for the best deal.  He doesn't want to sign here, that's his call.  I'm not going to hold it against him, just as I won't hold it against Paul Stastny if he doesn't want to sign a deal with us.

Never said it was bad.