Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

On 3/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Playing Safety in a 10-12  game NCAA season isn't the same as Inside Linebacker for a CFL team who play 8-10 more games. At 210 he may be able to handle it... But it would be a grind. 

The players  in the SEC are quite a bit bigger than in the CFL and he's played near the line of scrimmage contributing to run stopping quite a bit. 

I'm just saying if he's making the team I think he's a linebacker not a safety.

Edited by Gotmilt

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

People obsessing over MLB size again... seem to forget that JC Sherrit is about 5'9 and 215 lbs...

Its true heart can over come size in football, with in reason.  Mlber is a heart and systems position. Sherrit is certainly an exception but you dont have to be 250 or even 240 to play mlber. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Its true heart can over come size in football, with in reason.  Mlber is a heart and systems position. Sherrit is certainly an exception but you dont have to be 250 or even 240 to play mlber. 

I looked up the current players, 230 is the heaviest, and several 225. I think.

Just looked Elimimian 227.

MLBers in the CFL are 220-230. Not 215 lbs. They don't play an 18 game season in the SEC. Not even close. As far as a MLB goes whether it's the SEC or CFL they still deal with 300 lb plus OL.  He'll get ground down as the season goes on especially late in the year in October if he keeps his weight at 215.  Weight, speed & strength are issues whether people want to admit it or not. He may look great in his college video then turn out to be too small to play linebacker & too slow for safety up here. Rather than pencil him in at MLB let's just see what he does at training camp & during exhibition season first. 

21 hours ago, Mark F said:

I looked up the current players, 230 is the heaviest, and several 225. I think.

Just looked Elimimian 227.

yeah that sounds about right. The larger mlber is kinda of old school now. It really depends on the athlete. Its probably possible to get it done down in the 210 range, and up in the 250+ range. Though both would be harder. But if you are strong/fast enough it could work. The nfl has and has had some exceptional freak athletes who are small and ridiculously strong and big + crazy fast. 

16 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

The impact MLBs are the hammer they deliver the blow to the opposition player they don’t absorb the impact.

In a best case scenario, when you notice them. Its when you dont notice them because theyve been swallowed up by a lineman or blocking back, or been run over by a large back like messam. An end, wil and mac in the cfl has to be strong and tough enough to survive the lumps they will take when they end up 1 on 1 with a OL. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

MLBers in the CFL are 220-230. Not 215 lbs. They don't play an 18 game season in the SEC. Not even close. As far as a MLB goes whether it's the SEC or CFL they still deal with 300 lb plus OL.  He'll get ground down as the season goes on especially late in the year in October if he keeps his weight at 215.  Weight, speed & strength are issues whether people want to admit it or not. He may look great in his college video then turn out to be too small to play linebacker & too slow for safety up here. Rather than pencil him in at MLB let's just see what he does at training camp & during exhibition season first. 

I dont think the league they play in in college is as big a deal as some. Big sec type schools do have better over all talent / athletes. But that goes both ways. You play with better and have more covered up. Because while the level is higher, its still a lot of raw guys who are either talented or athletic. Not a ton of guys who are both. I also dont think the big schools style of play synchronizes as well with up here. 

If he has what it takes to cut it up here, we will see soon enough. If he doesnt, it wont matter what position he plays. And if he does, he will work his way into a niche. Hes gonna be interesting to watch and see how he pans out. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

OK serious question here, is there really THAT much difference between 220 and 215? Like honestly 5 pounds makes a guy too small or big enough? 

Ask a woman.... is it really a difference between 6 and 8 inches?

(She'll say 6, he'll say 8!)

LOL

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

OK serious question here, is there really THAT much difference between 220 and 215? Like honestly 5 pounds makes a guy too small or big enough? 

That in it self no. that said 5 lbs of lean mass is a **** ton on a refined athletes body.  For a trim athlete who already has a matured build and limited frame (the type of guy whose a tweener up here db-lb, db, wr and most rbs) with out juice to add 5 pounds of muscle with out hindering performance would be time consuming. But thats assuming a close to athletically maxed out build, etc. Some guys could gain that in no time. some guys itd take a year and a half to do so. 

Does 5 lbs of muscle make that big a difference? Against OL you are already out soo much weight not really. Against other rbs it can. If you are 5lbs of lean mass under the weight of the rbs you face youll notice it. Same if you are 5 lbs over. If you have the work ethic and or football IQ like Mos, unless that other guy can match you those 5lbs mean a whole lot less. 

Its kind of a whole lot of nothing right now, just speculation. He looks like a wil though. But he could have the flexibility to play a few positions. Its like the loffler to wil talks etc. Personally I think corney is more then fast/quick enough to cut it at mlb. Especially if he went back down to his drafted weight. Though I could just as easily see him coming in even bigger this year and moving to DT. 

Consider the jumps in power ranges in combat sports. the jump from 155-171 is gigantic. thats 16 lbs obviously, but you get the point. Milt wasnt the tallest or heaviest (or even the fastest) wr of his era. He was the most refined athlete though.  Far more athletes  have that physical level of refinement today then back then.  Match him up against a similar quality db and knock 5lbs off him to bring him down to a more human level of athlete and it becomes much harder for him.  

Edited by wbbfan

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

No. especially when you consider, basically no one is the weight they are listed as.

Thats a good point too. A lot of guys listed sizes are skewed by just being listed as what the request, or what they came in at when they first came into the league. The bombers seem to post their charts based on guys weigh ins at camp. which is several notches above most teams. Even that though isnt near perfect. 

arguing over weight differentials that you could see a player at either end of the spectrum on in the same week.  I wonder how many people could stare at any of our MLB prospects out of pads and guess within 5 pounds of their actual weight.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

arguing over weight differentials that you could see a player at either end of the spectrum on in the same week.  I wonder how many people could stare at any of our MLB prospects out of pads and guess within 5 pounds of their actual weight.

That's not the point. The point is can a guy 215 lbs play MLB for 18 regular season games without wearing down as opposed to a guy 225-230? This isn't about guessing a guy's weight within 5 lbs. Anyway, who's arguing? It's the off season... Nothing else to do.

Edited by SpeedFlex27