Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

I'm excited about the competition but let's get serious...  opening day roster is basically set...

Adams-Bowman-Dressler-Demski-Coates 

Randle-Fenner-Loffler-Gaitor-Clarke/Alexander

There's maybe 1-2 DBs up for grabs and 1 backup import receiver position...

Wolitarsky and LaFrance competing for Coates spot...

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

How many times have guys got excited by all the tall receivers they signed in the offseason only to have them not pan out? Size doesn't make a receiver good, it's just something that helps. 

Agreed. Size makes a good receiver better, but it doesn't do much for someone who can't be at the right place at the right time or hang onto the ball.

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

How many times have guys got excited by all the tall receivers they signed in the offseason only to have them not pan out? Size doesn't make a receiver good, it's just something that helps. 

This is the time in the off-season where everyone is a scout and everyone can evaluate a player based on a 5 minute Youtube video and based upon their weight and height. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

This is the time in the off-season where everyone is a scout and everyone can evaluate a player based on a 5 minute Youtube video and based upon their weight and height. 

Which was exactly the same criteria for success that was used to select Buzz and Boomer. 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Shhhh.  Quiet.  I'm busy memorizing some blogger's mock draft so I can be furious when Walters doesn't trade up to select the guy with the most reps on the bench press.

Viva la echo-chamber!

18 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Almost a full squad of players on a team.

It definitely seems they’re serious about finding the right combination...

23 players! The same number of QBs we’ve auditioned over a couple of years before we plugged Nichols..?

also the same number of QBs montreal has had in camp the last two years, and the same number the riders carry on the IR every week. 

8 hours ago, tracker said:

Agreed. Size makes a good receiver better, but it doesn't do much for someone who can't be at the right place at the right time or hang onto the ball.

Makes it easier to be a good receiver for sure, more standing reach then pure height but yeah. Doesnt matter how big you are, how fast you are, how strong or how well you run routes if you cant catch the ball. 

I'm beginning to evaluate social media in my scouting reports too, They have to have a strong Twitter/Instagram (and a bunch of other social media interfaces that I know nothing about) presence with at least a 1000 followers before they can be considered a realistic prospect and not just training camp fodder. 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

I'm beginning to evaluate social media in my scouting reports too, They have to have a strong Twitter/Instagram (and a bunch of other social media interfaces that I know nothing about) presence with at least a 1000 followers before they can be considered a realistic prospect and not just training camp fodder. 

not a social media type. but what i look for is the music choice in their highlights. If its over used, a good selection etc vital information into their psyche.  gangster rap? ok. beyonce? not ok. What i really want to see is some vicious hard hitting Lber/db whose highlights are set to the proclaimers, smash mouth, or chumbawamba. thats the stuff of the HOF. 

31 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Considering pretty much the only guys they can really evaluate in mini camp are receivers and DB's...don't get too horny for "12 new DBs and 11 new receivers."  At least half won't make training camp.

Exact same thing every year!

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

not a social media type. but what i look for is the music choice in their highlights. If its over used, a good selection etc vital information into their psyche.  gangster rap? ok. beyonce? not ok. What i really want to see is some vicious hard hitting Lber/db whose highlights are set to the proclaimers, smash mouth, or chumbawamba. thats the stuff of the HOF. 

So Shrek is what you are looking for. 

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Considering pretty much the only guys they can really evaluate in mini camp are receivers and DB's...don't get too horny for "12 new DBs and 11 new receivers."  At least half won't make training camp.

I'm always interested in getting Bomber news in the off season, but 'horny'?  It might take a little more than receivers and DB's....  Maybe a blue chip MLB.  :)

So far we don't seem to have signed a "holy-crap-can't-miss" player. In the past I have been guilty of really becoming emotionally invested in one or two newcomers and far more often than not, have had my hopes shattered. Oh well, maybe s darkhorse player will emerge in training camp (not so far away any more) and wow everybody.

22 hours ago, tracker said:

So far we don't seem to have signed a "holy-crap-can't-miss" player. 

The problem I have is that those guys seem to get cut year-after-year.  Too many times we get excited about a can't miss guy and then he gets cut the first round of cuts or has an injury or some other "family" issue and leaves the team.