Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

23 hours ago, tracker said:

So far we don't seem to have signed a "holy-crap-can't-miss" player. In the past I have been guilty of really becoming emotionally invested in one or two newcomers and far more often than not, have had my hopes shattered. Oh well, maybe s darkhorse player will emerge in training camp (not so far away any more) and wow everybody.

think thats  very rare these days, its when a guy comes back from the nfl or finally comes up from the nfl like brown or  westerman. 

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

The problem I have is that those guys seem to get cut year-after-year.  Too many times we get excited about a can't miss guy and then he gets cut the first round of cuts or has an injury or some other "family" issue and leaves the team.

Ultra high potential guys with great skills/athletic ability/ high end experience/success sure.  But general level of talent that comes up now compared to what used to is what makes the cant miss guys very rare.  I think cant miss guys who havent played meaningful snaps of pro football are the rarest commodity.  We see less of that and less of the TCF guys and more an across the board high level of talent. The closest thing we could see to a cant miss guy is geoff gray. 

51 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Who was the last guy we signed who was a can't miss receiver? I'm just hoping one of those guys becomes a receiver worth rostering.

By hard, "cant miss" standards id say mike sims walker. He missed, but by injury retirement. The level of skill he had as a wr coming into the league was off the charts. From what little he showed id still take a flyer on that guy if he was healthy. He was that good. 

Other wise Id probably say chris givens. But wr is a hard position to be cant miss at. And football is a hard sport to be cant miss at. Some positions, like Lber (mlb/will) and Rb are easier to perform at but even then nothing is a guarantee. 

The volume of high potential guys we have in camp at every position soo heavily dwarf the likes of the taman era and the modern era as a whole. That is why we dont so much see one guy who cant miss. the competition is better and higher. Virtually any player on the team could be beat out of their position. 

Was is Collins that was in Bomber Camp last year or the year before then went to the Riders(I know there have been a few over the last little while), but this guy started several games and was pretty good for them? I remember him being a bit of a physical receiver too. The name just slips me.  Getting old and having too many concussions myself.

6 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

Was is Collins that was in Bomber Camp last year or the year before then went to the Riders(I know there have been a few over the last little while), but this guy started several games and was pretty good for them? I remember him being a bit of a physical receiver too. The name just slips me.  Getting old and having too many concussions myself.

ricky collins. year before last iirc. 

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I thought he went out East last year after being cut by the Riders, Hamilton maybe but he is now sitting on the Lions roster.

Yeah with bc now, was with hamilton last year broke out with the riders after starting with us.

11 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/rutgers/2016/03/09/rutgers-football-pro-day-results-quentin-gause-shines/81550054/

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/quentin-gause-1.html

Mostly good testing numbers, sounds like a strong, explosive athlete with tons of up side. Upside and high character, thats the bombers to profile to a T. 26 TFL and  122 solo tackles / 190 combined over 3 years. Exciting quality prospect at our biggest position of need. Hope he brings it in camp. 

Nice LB signing...  Wild, JSK, Jones, Wilson, Gause...  nice competition - would like maybe one more...

I'd actually still like to see Loffler get a shot at WIL...

Loffler at WIL, Fenner at SAM and Leggett back to S...  maybe Branning/Jones at CB...?

39 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Nice LB signing...  Wild, JSK, Jones, Wilson, Gause...  nice competition - would like maybe one more...

I'd actually still like to see Loffler get a shot at WIL...

Loffler at WIL, Fenner at SAM and Leggett back to S...  maybe Branning/Jones at CB...?

we have like 7 lbers and I feel like we carry that or more each game on the active roster :lol: might be more to come after mini camp or maybe we will draft some new blood as well. 

Im not holding my breath on loffler at wil though that could be amazing.  All that matters is no hurl. 

28 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Pretty impressive testing numbers at 243 pounds.  Normally I'd say that's a lìttle too heavy for a CFL MLB but if he can move that well... could be a stud prospect.  I'm pretty high on JSK but nothing wrong with some high quality competition.

Bear Woods is at 240ish

The scouting report had him at 6'5" 280 but he doesn't look that heavy in the film clip he put together himself. He doesn't seem to do "polite" tackles but tackles to hurt- appropriate for an ex-marine I suppose. Looks to be quick and fast with a nose for the ball.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Pretty impressive testing numbers at 243 pounds.  Normally I'd say that's a lìttle too heavy for a CFL MLB but if he can move that well... could be a stud prospect.  I'm pretty high on JSK but nothing wrong with some high quality competition.

Its kind of the larger end of the current generation of MLBers. Its possible to have the mobility to make it work much heavier. In the nfl he was listed alot in the 235 range as well. 

The strength and explosiveness in his testing is very impressive. Atm i think jsk is a lock to start at either mlb or wlb. I feel like wild needs to stay healthy and re find his former groove. 

15 minutes ago, tracker said:

The scouting report had him at 6'5" 280 but he doesn't look that heavy in the film clip he put together himself. He doesn't seem to do "polite" tackles but tackles to hurt- appropriate for an ex-marine I suppose. Looks to be quick and fast with a nose for the ball.

6'5 280? o; did you look at the right guy? It sounded like he came in as a RB to rutgers. also his personal web site is inspiring as heck. 

It drives me mad to see guys in the front 7 get into the back field, get a hand on the qb then get spun around or shrugged off by the qb. Riley is a big qb for the cfl. But mostly a Lber or DE is gonna have a giant advantage in strength and size.  So I love seeing a guy who flies around and lays the wood to any one in their path. Guys like loffler, play with that edge that elevates the entire defense.  Run around like some mad dogs and have some fun.  

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Nice, exciting prospect. Perhaps you end of JSK-Gause-Legget with Wild as a DI.

Floyd, please give up on this idea of Lofler to WIL. No way the club is moving the 2 time all CFL S to WIL.

Gotta agree...plus what cdn do we have that could backup Loffler at the Wil?....better to leave him at safety imo.

59 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Nice, exciting prospect. Perhaps you end of JSK-Gause-Legget with Wild as a DI.

Floyd, please give up on this idea of Lofler to WIL. No way the club is moving the 2 time all CFL S to WIL.

wasnt mo the same as S before he moved to sam? he may have been more under rated but no doubt he was as valuable at S if not more. Sam is a harder position to fill though, and S harder then wil. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Its kind of the larger end of the current generation of MLBers. Its possible to have the mobility to make it work much heavier. In the nfl he was listed alot in the 235 range as well. 

The strength and explosiveness in his testing is very impressive. Atm i think jsk is a lock to start at either mlb or wlb. I feel like wild needs to stay healthy and re find his former groove. 

6'5 280? o; did you look at the right guy? It sounded like he came in as a RB to rutgers. also his personal web site is inspiring as heck. 

It drives me mad to see guys in the front 7 get into the back field, get a hand on the qb then get spun around or shrugged off by the qb. Riley is a big qb for the cfl. But mostly a Lber or DE is gonna have a giant advantage in strength and size.  So I love seeing a guy who flies around and lays the wood to any one in their path. Guys like loffler, play with that edge that elevates the entire defense.  Run around like some mad dogs and have some fun.  

When I went back to the scouting report, it had him at 6'5" 280 and 6''0" 232 as well. The 6'0" sounds more real.

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120037&draftyear=2016&genpos=OLB

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

wasnt mo the same as S before he moved to sam? he may have been more under rated but no doubt he was as valuable at S if not more. Sam is a harder position to fill though, and S harder then wil. 

Mo was but Loffler has played the S spot very well and given his injury history a move to WIL makes no sense.

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Mo was but Loffler has played the S spot very well and given his injury history a move to WIL makes no sense.

imo mo was hands down a better saftey as well. Very different players though.  Football is football, you cant hide injury prone guys any place. (but kicker) Loffler already plays in the box or on the edge of the box like in a 4-6. 

I dont think we see the swap happen. I dont think they even look at it. In that case mo coming back from a serious injury with a real question mark also has to adjust back to S, loffler has to adjust to wil and JSK has to adjust to MLB.  its a continuity nightmare and if one guy cant make the adjustment every thing falls apart. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

imo mo was hands down a better saftey as well. Very different players though.  Football is football, you cant hide injury prone guys any place. (but kicker) Loffler already plays in the box or on the edge of the box like in a 4-6. 

Loffler didn't play that way in the 2016.  In 2017 he played more in the box because of who was starting at MLB.