Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

31 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Just one week till mini camp in Winnipeg! Are they holding it inside or outside? ( Honest question considering this insane weather we've been having.)

On the plus side.. .only one week till some football news!!

I think in previous years it has been held in the Soccer complex

I find it interesting that the two most heavily-recruited areas this off-season were areas that were identified in this forum as Achilles' heels for the Bombers. None of the new signing may be worth beans but at least the positions will be contested. And the last open, weeping sore for the Bombers was MLB, and we seem to have some good candidates for that position. Training camp ought to be interesting, as usual.

28 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I predict that one poster will attend and rave about a WR or DB and that player gets cut.

I predict a bunch of balls will drop. but mostly because its football season again! 

I also predict we will field a 4th passer for mini camp. A bison or rifle qb? perhaps the acadia rifle bob cameron? probably too busy renoing houses. Some one new? possibly but doubtful. Buck pierce? who knows. But I dont think we will roll through mini camp with 3 arms.

Deeper into my crystal ball i see over all every one having a solid mini camp. But that the fastest wrs will shine the most. 

1 hour ago, tracker said:

I find it interesting that the two most heavily-recruited areas this off-season were areas that were identified in this forum as Achilles' heels for the Bombers. None of the new signing may be worth beans but at least the positions will be contested. And the last open, weeping sore for the Bombers was MLB, and we seem to have some good candidates for that position. Training camp ought to be interesting, as usual.

I have a lot of hope for JSK but still hope he's pushed. 

WINNIPEG, MB., April 18, 2018 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed international linebacker Chinedu Oparaku and International running back Cierre Wood.

Oparaku (6’2, 210, Fairmont State University, November 27, 1996 in Prince George’s County, MD.) played three seasons with Fairmont State University, playing 17 games at linebacker and on special teams. In his senior year, Oparaku recorded 33 tackles, one sack and one blocked kick. Oparaku also recorded three sacks in the 2017 National Bowl.

Wood (5’11, 226, University of Notre Dame, February 21, 1991 in Bloomington, CA) played three seasons at the University of Notre Dame, rushing 450 times for 2,446 yards. Wood appeared in five NFL games throughout his career, spending time with the Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens.

20 hours ago, Rich said:

I think in previous years it has been held in the Soccer complex

21 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Just one week till mini camp in Winnipeg! Are they holding it inside or outside? ( Honest question considering this insane weather we've been having.)

On the plus side.. .only one week till some football news!!

According to an Ed Tait interview I heard yesterday they are hoping to be outside at IGF (weather permitting).  Fans are welcome and details should be available on the website.

6 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

WINNIPEG, MB., April 18, 2018 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed international linebacker Chinedu Oparaku and International running back Cierre Wood.

Oparaku (6’2, 210, Fairmont State University, November 27, 1996 in Prince George’s County, MD.) played three seasons with Fairmont State University, playing 17 games at linebacker and on special teams. In his senior year, Oparaku recorded 33 tackles, one sack and one blocked kick. Oparaku also recorded three sacks in the 2017 National Bowl.

Wood (5’11, 226, University of Notre Dame, February 21, 1991 in Bloomington, CA) played three seasons at the University of Notre Dame, rushing 450 times for 2,446 yards. Wood appeared in five NFL games throughout his career, spending time with the Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens.

Wood is a bit of an oddball running back. He seems to be fast more than quick, although did not show breakaway speed. More shifty than a power runner and a sort of blend of all running back assets but not outstanding in any area. In the film clip, he didn't seem to break many tackles.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Wood is a bit of an oddball running back. He seems to be fast more than quick, although did not show breakaway speed. More shifty than a power runner and a sort of blend of all running back assets but not outstanding in any area. In the film clip, he didn't seem to break many tackles.

sure is an odd one. You look at his measurable and think wrecking ball. Then watch him play and its a whole other thing. He runs upright, even in short yardage plays.  Doesnt show elite break away speed, but at the same time with running up right hes in 3rd gear by the time any contact comes and runs through arm tackles. Pretty balanced sped wise. Not crazy speed but good speed. Doesnt have elite quicks but has the ability to make people miss.  A little bit of quicks and running with a little bit of power can make for a whole lot of yards.  Shows good vision with cut back lanes and recognizing the hole  and punches through some really tight gaps. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cierre-wood?id=2540209

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cierre_wood_460498.html

Gonna be another great battle in camp. Last year we had some crazy talent and depth at RB too. Itll be entertaining but cracking the roster is about as hard at rb as it gets for us. 

Re: Cierre Woods-

Strengths: Wood has a good frame and possesses thick legs. Quick and shifty runner. Reaches maximum acceleration quickly. Willing to run up the middle and shows a burst. Good feet and makes controlled, fluid movements when moving laterally. Showcases good vision.

Weaknesses: Doesn't play with as much power as his frame would indicate. Unrefined as a blocker, showcases poor technique. Has had trouble holding down the starting running back job at Notre Dame. Ball security a question. Suspended for violation of team rules.

Bottom Line:Wood has plus size, but doesn't play like a bigger back. He has good vision, acceleration, and plays very fluidly. Post season workouts will be important for him, but he will likely be selected within the middle rounds.