CFL Draft 2018

Floyd

Winter rankings are out - https://press.cfl.ca/cfl-scouting-bureau-winter-edition?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Will be interesting to see what happens with Simonise...

I'll probably watch for Laurent, Kwemo, Shepley...  also think Bennet is a prototypical bomber pick

WINTER SCOUTING BUREAU RANKINGS

Rank 

Name 

Position 

School 

Hometown 

1 (1)

David Knevel

OL

Nebraska

Brampton, ON

2 (2)

Trey Rutherford

OL

Connecticut

Markham, ON

3 (3)

Ryan Hunter

OL

Bowling Green

North Bay, ON

4 (6)

Peter Godber

OL

Rice

Toronto, ON

5 (10)

Julien Laurent

DL

Georgia State

Toronto, ON

6 (4)

Godfrey Onyeka

DB

Laurier

Brampton, ON

7 (12)

Rashaun Simonise

REC

Calgary/Okanagan

Vancouver, BC

8 (9)

Regis Cibasu

REC

Montreal

Kinshasa, Congo

9 (5)

Darius Ciraco

OL

Calgary

Burlington, ON

10 (-)

Mark Chapman

REC

Central Michigan

Port Huron, Michigan

11 (14)

Dakoda Shepley

OL

UBC

Windsor, ON

12 (-)

Mark Korte

OL

Alberta

Spruce Grove, AB

13 (19)

Jackson Bennett

DB

Ottawa

Cumberland, ON

14 (8)

Kene Onyeka

DL

Carleton

Brampton, ON

15 (13)

Andrew Pickett

OL

Guelph

Kitchener, ON

16 (15)

Alex Taylor

RB

Western

Winnipeg, MB

17 (20)

Nelkas Kwemo

LB

Queen’s

Montreal, QC

18 (16)

Ryan Sceviour

OL

Calgary

Calgary, AB

19 (11)

Chris Amoah

RB

Laval

Montreal, QC

20 (-)

David Brown

OL

Western

London, ON

Interesting bit from Julien Laurent's GSU Bio.

JUNIOR COLLEGE: Made 21 tackles and one interception in six games in 2014 at New Mexico Military Institute... Native of Canada who played for ESC Renaissance ... Relative newcomer to football who has been compared to former Georgia State defensive lineman Christo Bilukidi, another Canadian who completed his third NFL season with the Baltimore Ravens in 2014.

Let's just hope he doesn't follow Bilukidi's footsteps by getting drafted by the Blue Bombers and never suiting up for the team...

46 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Do we have an extra pick this year to waste on a white Canadian receiver out of Saskatchewan or an undersized DB who can't make it out of training camp??

I sure hope that Walters gets it right this time.  After all, no other GM has ever drafted  someone that didn't work out.

33 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I sure hope that Walters gets it right this time.  After all, no other GM has ever drafted  someone that didn't work out.

Even the first round can be a crapshoot in the cfl. Overall it’s about acquiring depth and some prototypical CFL starters and the odd genius pick turns into a ratio breaker. We’ve acquired plenty of all three since Walters took over.   I’ve got zero complaints when looking at the macro of his drafting. 

9 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Even the first round can be a crapshoot in the cfl. Overall it’s about acquiring depth and some prototypical CFL starters and the odd genius pick turns into a ratio breaker. We’ve acquired plenty of all three since Walters took over.   I’ve got zero complaints when looking at the macro of his drafting. 

ya I think this comment was more so directed at the individual above whom believes every pick should be a home run and no pick should ever be poor, etc.    Most of us understand that even the first 10 picks are usually a risky pick no matter what kind of leg work is done previously...  I mean even last year, Faith Etitikake... people were calling him a bust already because hes not even rotational ready yet.   I mean let the kid develop before passing judgement.   people forget that the plug in first rounders are the exception to the norm, not the norm.

34 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

You might want to have your sarcasm meter re-calibrated!  Ya, it's always amazing to me how easy it is for everyone but the GM to do his job.

Edited by WBBFanWest

Just jokes. The whole Addison Richards debacle will always stick out like a sore thumb for a lot of fans (and to a lesser extent Brendan Morgan and Garrett Waggoner), but overall it seems like he drafts really well. A good number of Walters' draft picks are still making an impact in the CFL (Derek Jones, Jesse Briggs, Ettore Lattanzio), not to mention our Canadian hogs, All-Star Taylor Loffler, and the emerging talent in Trent Corney. If not for a couple suspect picks (and they were suspect at the time) he'd be an A++ draft manager.

I've got no major complaints, but what kind of Bomber fan would I be if I didn't ***** and moan about the past from time to time?

Edited by MOBomberFan
I should proofread before hitting submit, not after

34 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Wait a minute.  Are people actually complaining about Walter’s drafting? 

I'm a fan of Walters but I might say its time to look at him with a bit more critical eye...

Goossen and Chungh came out of a very strong first rounds

Corney, Couture, Loffler are home runs I'd say

Richards, Morgan, Waggoner, Trading up for Briggs...  not so good

How 2017 class turns out will say a lot imo - if it misses, it undoes a lot of Walters success

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm a fan of Walters but I might say its time to look at him with a bit more critical eye...

Goossen and Chungh came out of a very strong first rounds

Corney, Couture, Loffler are home runs I'd say

Richards, Morgan, Waggoner, Trading up for Briggs...  not so good

How 2017 class turns out will say a lot imo - if it misses, it undoes a lot of Walters success

So drafting a special teams guy who... well, was a special teams guy but didn't evolve beyond that.. a solid LB prospect that opted to retire versus move up the depth chart and another ST stud with backup LB potential (and he was drafted where? second round??) is how you want to lambaste the GM..

do you not recall our previous nightmarish drafting before Walters got here?    I don't think you could list 5 home runs in 10 years where as Walters and Co have landed 5 in 3?    Your expectations are a tad askew.

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

do you not recall our previous nightmarish drafting before Walters got here?    I don't think you could list 5 home runs in 10 years where as Walters and Co have landed 5 in 3?    Your expectations are a tad askew.

'Bit more critical eye' is not exactly 'lambasting' anyone...  I said I like Walters.

I absolutely remember the Mack regime.  But this will be Walters fifth draft - Mack is gone, NI depth is rebuilt... we are a normal team again.

2018 is a big draft for Walters et al in my opinion...   does he know where to go from here - there were real signs of 'overthinking' in the 2017 draft.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Do we have an extra pick this year to waste on a white Canadian receiver out of Saskatchewan or an undersized DB who can't make it out of training camp??

Nah we have to restock and  take a guy who will go to the nfl and sit on a PR for a few years. We are far too low on those right now.

Another year and the same talk of simonise. It certainly will be interesting floyd. Top tier athletic ability and size. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Nah we have to restock and  take a guy who will go to the nfl and sit on a PR for a few years. We are far too low on those right now.

Another year and the same talk of simonise. It certainly will be interesting floyd. Top tier athletic ability and size. 

Plus, apparently he really knows wax products.

Look at the Argos National starters to win the GC this year and ask yourself if it really matters. 5 on the lines, a safety and a hybrid back/receiver. Nothing special about any of them. Walters needs to focus on the international talent because that is where this team is behind in.