CFL Draft 2018

Floyd

14 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Maybe, but the 2017 draft class is going to go down as an all time bust if we don’t get Gray.

That's pretty much a ridiculous statement one year removed from that draft.

Ekakitie is developing fine and will see much more use this year, Spooner as well could push for a roster spot and I bet he ends up when all said and done becoming the best 0-lineman from that draft if Gray never shows up.

Conteh as well is gonna be another Derick Jones but I predict better and a possible starter doen the road...uber talent and physical ability there, not to mention we grabbed arguably the best punter to come out of the CIS in many many years

“The club had forfeited its third-round selection, 24th overall, in selecting University of Minnesota receiver Drew Wolitarsky in a supplemental draft last June, but secured a second third rounder – the 26th pick – in the Willy trade.”

I wonder if there will complaints that the Bombers draft 7th...so low down the list.  ? 

*For more ‘correct’ information on how the Bombers did in the 2017 draft, read Ed Tait’ s article  up above in the tweet.
Edited by Mr Dee

On ‎2017‎/‎12‎/‎13 at 2:07 PM, Noeller said:

where our Nat content was before he took over, to where it is now......Walters has done some seriously heavy lifting. Big thumbs up from me...

He made the smart move of not trading away his draft choices...     not a hard act to follow after Taman.      

My original comment merely pointed out that he's made the same mistake a few times by choosing guys that had small chances of making it in the league with higher draft picks. 

CFL DRAFT DATE ANNOUNCED

MONTREAL ALOUETTES HOLD THE FIRST OVERALL SELECTION IN THE CFL DRAFT ON MAY 3

Friday, December 15, 2017 — TORONTO (December 15, 2017) – The Canadian Football League announced that the 2018 CFL Draft will take place on Thursday, May 3, 2018. The CFL recently released the second edition of the Top-20 prospects in the Scouting Bureau for the 2018 CFL Draft. The 2018 CFL Draft will broadcast on TSN and RDS, additional broadcast details to be announced.

Below is the current draft order for the eight-round draft.

ROUND 1

ROUND 2

PICK

TEAM

PICK

TEAM

Montreal Alouettes

1 (10)

Saskatchewan Roughriders via Montreal

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

2 (11)

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

BC Lions

3 (12)

BC Lions

Ottawa REDBLACKS

4 (13)

Ottawa REDBLACKS

Saskatchewan Roughriders

5 (14)

Saskatchewan Roughriders

Edmonton Eskimos

6 (15)

Hamilton Tiger-Cats via Edmonton

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

7 (16)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Calgary Stampeders

8 (17)

Calgary Stampeders

Toronto Argonauts

9 (18)

Toronto Argonauts

ROUND 3

ROUND 4

PICK

TEAM

PICK

TEAM

1 (19)

Montreal Alouettes

1 (27)

Montreal Alouettes

2 (20)

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

2 (28)

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

3 (21)

BC Lions

3 (29)

BC Lions

4 (22)

Ottawa REDBLACKS

4 (30)

Ottawa REDBLACKS

5 (23)

Montreal Alouettes via Saskatchewan

5 (31)

Montreal Alouettes via Saskatchewan

6 (24)

Toronto Argonauts via Edmonton

6 (32)

Edmonton Eskimos

Forfeited by Winnipeg Blue Bombers in Supplemental Draft

7 (33)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

7 (25)

Calgary Stampeders

8 (34)

Calgary Stampeders

8 (26)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers via Toronto

9 (35)

Toronto Argonauts

ROUND 5

ROUND 6

PICK

TEAM

PICK

TEAM

1 (36)

Saskatchewan Roughriders via Montreal

1 (44)

Montreal Alouettes

2 (37)

Edmonton Eskimos via Hamilton

2 (45)

Saskatchewan Roughriders via Hamilton Tiger-Cats

3 (38)

BC Lions

3 (46)

BC Lions

4 (39)

Calgary Stampeders via Ottawa

Forfeited by Ottawa REDBLACKS in Supplemental Draft

Forfeited by Saskatchewan Roughriders in Supplemental Draft

4 (47)

BC Lions via Saskatchewan

5 (40)

Edmonton Eskimos

5 (48)

Edmonton Eskimos

6 (41)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

6 (49)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

7 (42)

Calgary Stampeders

7 (50)

Calgary Stampeders

8 (43)

Toronto Argonauts

8 (51)

Montreal Alouettes via Toronto

ROUND 7

ROUND 8

PICK

TEAM

PICK

TEAM

1 (52)

Montreal Alouettes

1 (61)

Montreal Alouettes

2 (53)

Edmonton Eskimos via Hamilton

2 (62)

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

3 (54)

BC Lions

3 (63)

Saskatchewan Roughriders via BC

4 (55)

Ottawa REDBLACKS

4 (64)

Ottawa REDBLACKS

5 (56)

Hamilton Tiger-Cats via Saskatchewan

5 (65)

Edmonton Eskimos via Saskatchewan

6 (57)

Edmonton Eskimos

6 (66)

Hamilton Tiger-Cats via Edmonton

7 (58)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

7 (67)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

8 (59)

Calgary Stampeders

8 (68)

Calgary Stampeders

9 (60)

Toronto Argonauts

9 (69)

Toronto Argonauts

TEAM SELECTIONS

AMOUNT OF DRAFT PICKS

TEAM

WHERE THEY ARE SELECTING

Montreal Alouettes

1, 19, 23, 27, 31, 44, 51, 52 and 61

Calgary Stampeders

8, 17, 25, 34, 39, 42, 50, 59 and 68

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

2, 11, 15, 20, 28, 56, 62 and 66

BC Lions

3, 12, 21, 29, 38, 46, 47 and 54

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

7, 16, 26, 33, 41, 49, 58 and 67

Edmonton Eskimos

6, 32, 37, 40, 48, 53, 57 and 65

Toronto Argonauts

9, 18, 24, 35, 43, 60 and 69

Ottawa REDBLACKS

4, 13, 22, 30, 55 and 64

Saskatchewan Roughriders

5, 10, 14, 36, 45 and 63

On 12/13/2017 at 8:23 PM, pigseye said:

Look at the Argos National starters to win the GC this year and ask yourself if it really matters. 5 on the lines, a safety and a hybrid back/receiver. Nothing special about any of them. Walters needs to focus on the international talent because that is where this team is behind in. 

They barely made the play offs, didnt post a winning record, and were in trouble the whole year. Let their year guide your aim and youll return to the dark ages.  We dont have the luxury of playing in the east, or of being irrelevant for huge swings of time. The sports market in TO is not like that of any other city in the nation. Out side of the leafs they are professional bandwagon hoppers. The argos are a trinket to occasionally revel at for a small portion of the city. The bombers are a part of the heart of winnipeg. 

22 hours ago, wbbfan said:

They barely made the play offs, didnt post a winning record, and were in trouble the whole year. Let their year guide your aim and youll return to the dark ages.  We dont have the luxury of playing in the east, or of being irrelevant for huge swings of time. The sports market in TO is not like that of any other city in the nation. Out side of the leafs they are professional bandwagon hoppers. The argos are a trinket to occasionally revel at for a small portion of the city. The bombers are a part of the heart of winnipeg. 

He's still not wrong.  The Bombers do need better international talent at some positions.  I have no quarrel with how the Argos won the GC.  It's how the CFL works.  Make the playoffs and make sure your team is trending up after Labour Day. 

21 hours ago, Mark H. said:

He's still not wrong.  The Bombers do need better international talent at some positions.  I have no quarrel with how the Argos won the GC.  It's how the CFL works.  Make the playoffs and make sure your team is trending up after Labour Day. 

We need more import talent, not better. The top tier of our imp talent is among the best in the league.  We need more, and so does every other team in the league. That is the nature of the modern cfl. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

and every team in the league needs more depth below that... 

I assume you are referring to the size of the roster being a limiting factor?

However, the Bombers have several import positions where the talent needs to be better.  Maybe it's just a matter of experience, but what we saw from some positions this year was inadequate. 

On 12/18/2017 at 9:24 PM, Mark H. said:

I assume you are referring to the size of the roster being a limiting factor?

However, the Bombers have several import positions where the talent needs to be better.  Maybe it's just a matter of experience, but what we saw from some positions this year was inadequate. 

We saw mixed results at various times. At times we struggled to rush the passer. Then we did not. DL talent is the best and deepest in the league. We struggled with Lbers, but then knox turned it up to 11. Wild is in the mix and MO is in our prayers to return to form. Hurl is the issue in the LB core, that and our D system. Db, we need more quality bodies. Over all thats probably the position weve scouted the best in this regime. Still think we let go of superior players though, so it doesnt matter if we bring the guys in only to sit/cut em. ol, rb we are pretty strong at. qb, I think we know the guys who will be in camp next year one way or another. Wr is like DB, but a bit brighter. if dressler and adams play a full season each no one will talk about a need for wrs. Weve also had talent at wr but lets not rehash all that again. Similar situation to DB. though Im excited to see givens in a full camp. I would love to see a legit no1 wr come in to turn our core into one of the best. But thats almost certainly some thing thatd come from the cfl FA, or a guy we have stepping up. 

On 2017-12-14 at 8:57 AM, Booch said:

That's pretty much a ridiculous statement one year removed from that draft.

Ekakitie is developing fine and will see much more use this year, Spooner as well could push for a roster spot and I bet he ends up when all said and done becoming the best 0-lineman from that draft if Gray never shows up.

Conteh as well is gonna be another Derick Jones but I predict better and a possible starter doen the road...uber talent and physical ability there, not to mention we grabbed arguably the best punter to come out of the CIS in many many years

Spooner has a long long way to go. He’s considered a major project at this point.  If Gray come up here within the next couple of years I wouldn’t be surprised if Spooner doesn’t ever start a game for us.  

On 2017-12-22 at 6:49 PM, tracker said:

I have enough confidence in Walters and his scouting system that I am not going to waste any time over it. Still, Wolitarsky had better become a good player, otherwise people could say he  "Drew a blank" there.

He’s already shown enough upside considering it was just 3rd round pick we gave up. We’ve continually drafted worse receivers higher up than that.

41 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Spooner has a long long way to go. He’s considered a major project at this point.  If Gray come up here within the next couple of years I wouldn’t be surprised if Spooner doesn’t ever start a game for us.  

Imo spooner as a rookie was about a year behind suhk chung (as a rookie). So if his off season and camp goes well He could be a guy who is a starts to develop into a good starter type. But it could still easily be a coin flip if he ever plays a regular season game for us. Thats just the nature of NIs. 

40 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

He’s already shown enough upside considering it was just 3rd round pick we gave up. We’ve continually drafted worse receivers higher up than that.

Thats the darned truth. Idk how far back youd have to go to find the last time we had a NI developmental wr who was better.