Game 43 : Great White @ Great White North

Dano will never get a break, ha - four minutes of ice time... and a goal - he's the new Petan.

Roslovic looked really good, Armia is a very very good player

I like Buff with 20 mins ice time...

Connor-Wheeler-Laine has some chemistry - wonder if you can plug and play Scheif and Wheeler could be 2nd line RW or C

16 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

my Oiler fan buddies are always pitching me on this Bear guy.  Never heard of him.  They still want Trouba really bad.  Not sure Trouba would be wild about that.

Bear played his junior with Seattle. Saw him up close during the WHL finals a couple years ago. Smooth skating, great puck mover, hellava shot and ran their PP. And pretty good in his own end too. He was even born and raised in eastern SK. His family would always take over a section of Westman Place whenever Seattle played in Brandon.  I'd be very happy if he was our prospect.

20 hours ago, Mark F said:

took a look at hfboards jets just now...

Some People there still bitching about the Jets.  :lol:

When I'm watching the Jets or Bombers on TV,  during the game my wife tells me she doesn't understand why I'm not happy, they're winning?

The final buzzer hasn't gone yet, that's why. :-)

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Ethan Bear-man is going to be a good one, I think....we'll see if he makes the transition to pro, but he was a quality D man in Jr....

ok thanks for the input on Bear, both of you guys.  My only concern is if he is so good, why are my Oiler fan buddies always pitching me on taking him? :)

https://www.tsn.ca/three-sharks-name-winnipeg-worst-city-to-visit-1.962684

Some members of the San Jose Sharks aren't too fond of Manitoba's capital.

In a video posted on the Sharks on NBC Sports California Twitter account, three players were asked what the worst city to play in is. All three answered Winnipeg.

"Winnipeg. Dark, cold, Internet is a little questionable," defenceman Justin Braun said. "Internet doesn't work ever. I don't know if they have Wi-Fi there yet."

Added forward Tomas Hertl: "I think it's Winnipeg because every time it's so cold and dark there. I don't like it there."

Defenceman Tim Heed also agreed with the assessment that "it's a bit cold."

Buncha soft, whiny plugs.

22 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I interviewed Mike Vernon for my HR class when I was going to the University of Calgary.  I asked him which city he hated visiting the most in the NHL and he said "without question, Winnipeg".  

13 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I interviewed Mike Vernon for my HR class when I was going to the University of Calgary.  I asked him which city he hated visiting the most in the NHL and he said "without question, Winnipeg".  

I'm not surprised about any of these comments. I'm from this city! Cold, dark, nothing to do. Yeah pretty much. No one's gonna pick on Vegas...ever.

I'm a little curious tho about what hotel is 'sketchy' as I thought they stayed at the Fairmont but could it be the Alt?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

20 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I'm not surprised about any of these comments. I'm from this city! Cold, dark, nothing to do. Yeah pretty much. No one's gonna pick on Vegas...ever.

I'm a little curious tho about what hotel is 'sketchy' as I thought they stayed at the Fairmont but could it be the Alt?

Yes, they stay at the Fairmont, which recently went through renovations. So, I'm sure their opinion will change. I have no idea about the quality of the wifi at the hotel but it could be poor. Nothing to do with the city itself, just where they stay.

And, of course it's dark, it's winter. I'm sure they have the same comments about all the other Canadian and Northern US cities.

What else are the players going to say? They arrive at night, sleep during the day then leave the next night.

It's absolutely overblown. This is what happens nowadays with social media, so you'd think a team's media affiliate would understand that and avoid the controversy altogether.

I get the cold and dark comments. Pretty much every Canadian NHL city outside of Vancouver is cold and dark in the dead of winter, though. Winnipeg is a small market, but so is Ottawa, Calgary, and Edmonton. Players visit these locations to play a hockey game; that's it. They still get the VIP treatment with chartered flights, fancy hotels, etc. 

Was this some lame attempt at humour? Probably. I just don't understand why NBC Sports Sharks' Twitter feed had to even the question, especially during training camp and then post it on social the day before playing here. The focus should be on what the players are paid to do: play hockey.

And Sharks' GM Doug Wilson wasn't too pleased based on his comments yesterday: http://awfulannouncing.com/nhl/sharks-gm-doug-wilson-nbc-sports-bay-area.html

“It’s disappointing that our broadcast partner would put our players in that position. First of all, by even asking that question, then putting it on our broadcast,” Sharks general manager Doug Wilson told this newspaper on Tuesday. “That was a question that was one of 30 that were asked earlier in the year. To me, it was an inappropriate question that should not have been asked. Whether it was an attempt at humor, it was not appropriate.”

…Wilson said he called Winnipeg Jets executive Mark Chipman and general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff on Monday to apologize.

“I went to high school in Winnipeg, I played junior hockey in Winnipeg,” Wilson said. “It’s a great city and (the Jets are) a wonderful organization and I’m disappointed that our broadcast partner would put our players or our organization in a position to have to respond to this.”

Asked, though, if the players do have to bear responsibility for what they say to the media, even if it is to a friendlier outlet, Wilson said, “Sure, we all do. But I think the narrative was cobbled together out of what was probably an attempt by our broadcast partner at some humor or whatever. But inappropriate and unacceptable.”

24 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Could either hotel be described as sketchy? I highly doubt it.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's absolutely overblown. This is what happens nowadays with social media, so you'd think a team's media affiliate would understand that and avoid the controversy altogether.

And then the politicians weighed in....

The questions were ridiculous and they should not have posted the answers but the "uproar" from a few people, who didn't understand the context, has been way over the top.

Get a grip people!

Edited by JCon

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Pretty much every Canadian NHL city outside of Vancouver is cold and dark in the dead of winter

It's not skin freezing cold but it is a wet-cold. And boy oh boy is it dark. Without snow, the short days seem very dark.

Is this like when I'm allowed to make jokes about my wife's cooking, but if someone else makes jokes about my wife's cooking I get to punch them in the nose?

Because Manitoba is cold and dark during winter.  Did we expect people not to notice?

Jets broadcasts also used to have a segment where they asked the players inane questions, and this probably was one of them.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Marlborough!!!

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

The whole thing is way overblown.  Ask players what city is their least favourite to go to in the NHL.... well yeah Winnipeg is a pretty obvious answer.  They're not going to pick Dallas, Anaheim or NYC.

Mike Vernon was obsessed with clubs and restaurants, as he was a pretty big party animal.  He said Winnipeg had neither.  Of course, this was 1992.