Rule Changes For 2018

BigBlue

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

OK but it's easy to play hockey without fights.  That's a totally different situation which I'm sure you are aware of.  Tackling is central to the game of football.

As a defender you can line up a clean hit, then suddenly the ball comes in low, the receiver stretches to make the catch and puts his head in the line of fire.  How on earth is a defender supposed to avoid that?  Or a running back makes a cut, slips, and goes a little low while a defender who is already 8 inches taller, comes in for a hit.  What do you propose that defender does?

And what about linemen?  Dozens of sub-concussive hits per game.  They go head-to-head on every play.  Don't care about that?  Could be far more long-term effect from that than just from huge hits.  How could you possibly enforce head-to-head contact along the lines?

It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

This.    It doesn't take a massive blow to rattle your brain around in it's bucket and cause long term damage.

Pretty hard to eliminate all head hits, since there are times the ball carrier turns into the defender at the last instant.

Anyways , I am in favour of adding one more challenge per team. If you lose it, you lose a time out. 

Bring the "reserve" guys onto the game day roster...they are getting paid anyways, might as well play 'em.

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

Top, number one for me is the need to make helmet to helmet an immediate ejection, and suspension for minimum one game.

no excuses or exceptions permitted.    

As somebody here posted, (maybe Speedflex, or Booch), learn to tackle properly, forget about the highlight reel hit, and putting someone at risk of permanent brain damage.

I'm tired of watching that crap, CFL, and NFL. How many of those did Nichols and Harris take last season? Plain Brutality.

Actually, if it keeps up, I will probably lose all interest in North American football.

Don't think I'm alone on that one.

So, you're suggesting that we move to flag football?  Because that's the only way you can have any hope of removing head to head hits.  Deliberate hits to the head or leading with the head?  I agree completely.   Immediate ejection.  Subsequent infractions get ejection and suspensions, but you can never remove incidental helmet to helmet contact in a sport where 24 guys are colliding with each other at high speed.

The only rule changes that I would suggest are

1.   adding of a second challenge if the coach wins the first one.   It seems strange that a coach may have to burn his challenge to correct a officials error, but then doesn't have that opportunity later.   I would off-set this with a 10 yard penalty for an unsuccessful challenge to help prevent the "fishing" flags.

2.  Increase the mandatory plays off for injury delays.    1st time a player goes down (requiring assistance leaving the field) he is out for 3 plays (same as it is now)   2nd time the same player goes down, he's out for 10 plays.   3rd time, he's done for the day.   I believe that this will make it tougher for coaches to implement the fake kneel to slow down the game, while still allowing players needing medical assistance to get some help.

44 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

1.   adding of a second challenge if the coach wins the first one.   It seems strange that a coach may have to burn his challenge to correct a officials error, but then doesn't have that opportunity later.   I would off-set this with a 10 yard penalty for an unsuccessful challenge to help prevent the "fishing" flags.

2.  Increase the mandatory plays off for injury delays.    1st time a player goes down (requiring assistance leaving the field) he is out for 3 plays (same as it is now)   2nd time the same player goes down, he's out for 10 plays.   3rd time, he's done for the day.   I believe that this will make it tougher for coaches to implement the fake kneel to slow down the game, while still allowing players needing medical assistance to get some help.

I'd agree with the challenge rule.  I think that if  player goes down after the play is whistled in then they should receive a delay of game penalty and that player is gone for minimum 6 plays.

Edited by WBBFanWest

29 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

1. would off-set this with a 10 yard penalty for an unsuccessful challenge to help prevent the "fishing" flags.

I like 2.

On 1, tho -- a lot of fishing challenges are 4Q last-gasp things where they still make sense to go after even with the potential 10 yard penalty, so is the penalty doing enough to disincline the fishing coach?

6 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Part of the issue with helmet to helmet ejection is having to make a determination if the ball carrier or QB ducks his head immediately prior to impact. This then results in helmet to helmet. If you can determine intent I am open for potential ejection.....tough call at full speed.

I suggest that the answer is to review the game tapes after the game and suspend the offender for s long as it takes for the victim to recover.

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

give teams 2 challenges but stop letting them challenge PI problem solved. 

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about this.  It is refreshing to watch NFL and know that PI is PI and there isn't a challenge coming.  But the officiating is just so inconsistent in the CFL, especially in regards to PI... I think we need the challenge.

35 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'd allow challenges on pi, but not illegal contact. A bad pi call can change a game.

This.  Being able to challenge illegal contact is ridiculous and that's what teams look for when they need a desperation bail out call.   Most of the time it has nothing to do with the play and the QB never even looks to the side where the 'infraction' takes place.

41 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'd allow challenges on pi, but not illegal contact. A bad pi call can change a game.

I like this solution.

The refs in the CFL are terrible and get PI incorrect so frequently, I would hate to see the challenge for it go away. But illegal contact rarely has an effect on the outcome of the play, IMO.

Edited by JCon

6 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Any challenge for illegal contact....not saying it should even be allowed should only be possible on a play involving the intended receiver.  The junk 50 yds away from where the ball is thrown is embarrassing.

We've been over how that wouldn't work. Only the coaches/players know who the intended rec. is for that specific play. And illegal contact can change it. So I'd just rather do away with the illegal contact challenging all together than put in another rule that the refs/coaches can get wrong or abuse.

5 hours ago, JCon said:

I like this solution.

The refs in the CFL are terrible and get PI incorrect so frequently, I would hate to see the challenge for it go away. But illegal contact rarely has an effect on the outcome of the play, IMO.

but PI is a subjective call, which is why reviewing it is crazy to me. By the letter of the law you can probably find PI on any play, which is why so many coaches went on fishing trips so much and it was so successful. It was a gross over reaction to one missed call in the playoffs a few years ago and it's made the game worse. Just let the refs call PI on the field and screw it up or not, feels better when it's screwed up in real time than when it's still screwed up after review. 

5 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Regarding reffing:

- most of the time they get it right

-yes, at times it is terrible

-NFL refs also make terrible calls; just saying...

Thats kind of the nature of reffing. Its like playing OL. 90% of the time you do some thing good or get it done right no one notices. The times you get it wrong or its close, every one notices. 

The PI rules as they are make our refs look bad. The inconsistency in more severe penalties (stuff that get fines and suspensions)  is my biggest problem with the refs.Even that has a lot to do with the league though. 

11 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Regarding reffing:

- most of the time they get it right

-yes, at times it is terrible

-NFL refs also make terrible calls; just saying...

NFL refs do make bad calls sometimes but from watching both leagues pretty extensively I'm comfortable saying the problem is far worse in the CFL.  It's the consistency of calls.  I know what PI is in the NFL.  In the CFL, I usually have no idea.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

NFL refs do make bad calls sometimes but from watching both leagues pretty extensively I'm comfortable saying the problem is far worse in the CFL.  It's the consistency of calls.  I know what PI is in the NFL.  In the CFL, I usually have no idea.

I can't agree enough with this statement. The refs in the CFL are horrible and very inconsistent in what and when they call things.

I mostly watched high-profile college games this year, so I probably saw the best crews, but I was extremely impressed with the refing in the NCAA.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:14 PM, Jaxon said:

How about like they do in hockey where they call the offensive player for diving, call the player who fake kneels, delay of game?

Subjective call especially when it's a potential injury but . . .?