Glenn to Edm

Booch

Nichols is only 30.  There is no desperate need to replace him.  Let's find a decent QB prospect rather than hoping something finally clicks for Davis after multiple years.  It just doesn't happen for some guys and no amount of time will change that.

Let's sign Durant for a great 1/2 punch and then find a legitimate QB prospect for the first time in this regime's history.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

Two points regarding this thread:

1)  Durant likely still believes he can compete as a starter somewhere.  Where?  I'm not sure.  If he came to grips with the reality, he likely would have agreed to a contract restructure.  Now he is unemployed.  Classic example of risk versus the reward.

2)  People can crap all over Davis all they want, but the truth of it is, he needs more playing time to actually get better.  Starting from scratch with someone with no experience is going back to square one yet again.   Regardless of how long Davis has been with the team, it's too soon to write him off for good. 

This was the argument used for Dinwiddie...  McPherson...  LeFevour...

QBs that have moved from development to backup to starter have all had a 'wow' factor in their first starts then they drop off a bit

I can't think of any QB that looked shaky early and then kept developing as a backup to eventually claim the starting job...?

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

How can he get more playing time here if the coaches do not have confidence in his abilities? They have slowly tried to bring him along and when he got his chance he was like a deer in the headlights reaction....its professional sports you have to grab your chance when it comes along. Time to move  on.

Who said the coaches don't have confidence in his abilities?  If you're referring to them choosing Lefevour to start the last game of the season, that'd be more of a situational decision given the circumstances (short prep week, game significance, etc) as opposed to a lack of confidence.   If the coaches didn't think Davis was able, he wouldn't be here.

Seize the moment, yes, but give the guy a legitimate chance to do so.  

1 hour ago, tracker said:

If you had an employee who was in training for 3 years and still felt he/she could not step into the breech and showed he/she could not, you would fire that person and look elsewhere for someone who could. This is not rocket surgery.

That would hold true if the coaches felt this way about Davis, but they don't.

41 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This was the argument used for Dinwiddie...  McPherson...  LeFevour...

QBs that have moved from development to backup to starter have all had a 'wow' factor in their first starts then they drop off a bit

I can't think of any QB that looked shaky early and then kept developing as a backup to eventually claim the starting job...?

Calvillo and Allen both had shaky starts to their careers after significantly more playing time than Davis has had so far.  Allen in fact had under a 50% completion % and close to 1:1 TD/INT ratio for his first 5 seasons in the league. 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Nichols is only 30.  There is no desperate need to replace him.  Let's find a decent QB prospect rather than hoping something finally clicks for Davis after multiple years.  It just doesn't happen for some guys and no amount of time will change that.

Let's sign Durant for a great 1/2 punch and then find a legitimate QB prospect for the first time in this regime's history.

How does a prospect get to develop at #3 and no game-play time?

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Calvillo and Allen both had shaky starts to their careers after significantly more playing time than Davis has had so far.  Allen in fact had under a 50% completion % and close to 1:1 TD/INT ratio for his first 5 seasons in the league. 

Damon Allen was raw but he had that 'wow' factor...  he came off the bench to win the grey cup very early in his career - iirc

I'd also venture that Calvillo was never 'really' a backup more like a 1A - yeah he looked pretty bad at times but he also had thrown for almost 8000 yards in his first three years

If Davis has not 'seized' his moment after 3-4 years, its likely not going to happen

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Damon Allen was raw but he had that 'wow' factor...  he came off the bench to win the grey cup very early in his career - iirc

I'd also venture that Calvillo was never 'really' a backup more like a 1A - yeah he looked pretty bad at times but he also had thrown for almost 8000 yards in his first three years

If Davis has not 'seized' his moment after 3-4 years, its likely not going to happen

The number of seasons is not as important as people think, when you factor in he didn't throw a single pass in 2016. 

21 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

How does a prospect get to develop at #3 and no game-play time?

Same way every other prospect has developed as a #3 with no game-play time.  This isn't exactly a novel concept.  You go to practice, you go to the film room, and when you get that opportunity due to injury or poor play in front of you, you seize it and don't let go.

27 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

The number of seasons is not as important as people think, when you factor in he didn't throw a single pass in 2016. 

In the sense that he is on the same trajectory as a Dinwiddie or a McPherson, of course it is...

Its possible he becomes a Jeremiah Masoli but time's ticking

I wouldn't write off Davis just yet,  very limited play time and I would trust the coaches would know if the guy has what it takes.    I would take Durant to replace LeFevour as I would assume they would be equal on short yardage and Durant would be more likely to succeed in being able to throw the ball and take over the team for an extended period. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

There is another way to look at this too: Rarely does a CFL QB look good in his 1st start/1st time getting into a game...the exceptions that I can think of were:Kent Austin, Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia. Most guys need plenty of time. I am not saying Davis will develop into a CFL starter if given more time. I just think he was given limited reps, was hamstrung by poor play calling when in there, and then was leapfrogged by LeFevour  which most saw as a real head-stratcher.

50 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I wouldn't write off Davis just yet,  very limited play time and I would trust the coaches would know if the guy has what it takes.    I would take Durant to replace LeFevour as I would assume they would be equal on short yardage and Durant would be more likely to succeed in being able to throw the ball and take over the team for an extended period. 

Until a backup QB is given a significant amount of playing time due to injury of the starter, it's really hard to tell if they are progressing or not.  3 full games with first team practice reps. is a decent indication of their potential.

28 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Until a backup QB is given a significant amount of playing time due to injury of the starter, it's really hard to tell if they are progressing or not.  3 full games with first team practice reps. is a decent indication of their potential.

It's not like Davis was a raw rookie he had 3 years in this league to develop and when his chance came he just was timid to a very noticeable extreme. If the coaches then would of come back the next game with him fine,but he then lost out to noodle arm Lefevour who started the next game. If he can't beat out Lefevour really is there any hope this guy can be a star in this league? 

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

There is another way to look at this too: Rarely does a CFL QB look good in his 1st start/1st time getting into a game...the exceptions that I can think of were:Kent Austin, Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia. Most guys need plenty of time. I am not saying Davis will develop into a CFL starter if given more time. I just think he was given limited reps, was hamstrung by poor play calling when in there, and then was leapfrogged by LeFevour  which most saw as a real head-stratcher.

I disagree...  the 1st start is rough but you always see an 'it' factor then they look good very quickly afterward

Look at most of the starters in the league - Reilly, Collaros, BLM, Jennings, Harris, Nichols, Franklin - they all came in and looked good early, looked like they were leaders

After three years, Davis lost his job to Dan LeFevour - time to cut bait.  Move on to our fourth string that we've been quietly developing... oh wait... :(

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

My problem with Davis is that he already had a rap as guy who gave up on his reads too quickly and threw to his check down too often.  When he played this year he seemed to really struggle with reading defenses.  Dave Dickenson struggled in his first game but he didn’t have a bad rap before the stamps signed him.