Glenn to Edm

Booch

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

there is a slight possibility I'm remembering the 2016 Pre-Season.......did Davis almost single handedly beat Montreal during pre-season one time? 

Pre season? You can't use that for any real comparison. Defenses play vanilla. He might have been facing guys from the 5th to 7th round. Half the players from that game never made it to the regular season. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Pre season? You can't use that for any real comparison. Defenses play vanilla. He might have been facing guys from the 5th to 7th round. Half the players from that game never made it to the regular season. 

Well, if the preseason is that useless, why don't they just scrap it altogether?  

Really, which team has a good backup?

Hamilton had Masoli.

Montreal... no

Toronto... after Ray retires, probably not.

Wpg...

Sask.... don't know what's up there

Calgary, probably not

Edmonton... don't know who it is*

* edit... glenn.   We know about him

BC...... starter not good, backup can't survive playing his style.

Hard enough to get a good starter, let alone a good backup guy as well.

My hopes are up for Josh Straughn.

Edited by Mark F

Glenn....ugh just go away.

It will be a very sad day for the CFL when they put him in the Hall of Fame. 

And introducing to the Hall for the 2024 ceremony............................the king of mediocrity.....soggy 4th quarter K.G.!

You don't see the NFL putting Vinny Testeverde in the Hall simply because he played a long time, and he's 13th on the all-time yards list.

Edited by basslicker

15 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Glenn....ugh just go away.

It will be a very sad day for the CFL when they put him in the Hall of Fame. 

And introducing to the Hall for the 2024 ceremony............................the king of mediocrity.....soggy 4th quarter K.G.!

You don't see the NFL putting Vinny Testeverde in the Hall simply because he played a long time, and he's 13th on the all-time yards list.

who says he's going in the Hall? Hell, Damon Allen took a couple years to get there....if Glenn never wins a cup, there's no guarantee he ever gets there...

He's one of just seven QBs in CFL history to pass for over 50K yards. That's pretty significant. And getting a ring doesn't determine if a player gets into the HOF.

Glenn is by no means a slam dunk to get into the HOF but to crap on him and claim it'll be sad a day if and when he does get in is absurd.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He's one of just seven QBs in CFL history to pass for over 50K yards. That's pretty significant. And getting a ring doesn't determine if a player gets into the HOF.

Glenn is by no means a slam dunk to get into the HOF but to crap on him and claim it'll be sad a day if and when he does get in is absurd.

I dunno, I kind of think it would be... it would be honouring mediocrity.    He really hasn't done anything beyond have a long career.. he is the epitome of "meh"  and I really don't think he even deserves a spot in the hall.   Having a long career is not justification for getting into the hall imo.    I know we are Canadian and we love giving out participation awards and all..

5 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I dunno, I kind of think it would be... it would be honouring mediocrity.    He really hasn't done anything beyond have a long career.. he is the epitome of "meh"  and I really don't think he even deserves a spot in the hall.   Having a long career is not justification for getting into the hall imo.    I know we are Canadian and we love giving out participation awards and all..

So, had his arm not been broken and the Bombers went on to win the 95th Grey Cup, he'd be more deserving...?

Participation awards and being Canadian have nothing to do with it. What a silly remark.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Really, which team has a good backup?

Hamilton had Masoli.

Montreal... no

Toronto... after Ray retires, probably not.

Wpg...

Sask.... don't know what's up there

Calgary, probably not

Edmonton... don't know who it is

BC...... starter not good, backup can't survive playing his style.

Hard enough to get a good starter, let alone a good backup guy as well.

My hopes are up for Josh Straughn.

Hard hitting analysis!

If the HoF has either a "backup QB's" section or a "He sure hung around a long time" wing, then Glenn should be in consideration.  If however, being in the Hall means that you had a career that had significant impact on the game and you were someone who stood out year after year, then how in the world would you justify putting in a guy who for the majority of career was described by the fact that he was the best of the left overs?

46 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

So, had his arm not been broken and the Bombers went on to win the 95th Grey Cup, he'd be more deserving...?

Participation awards and being Canadian have nothing to do with it. What a silly remark.

ya, I'd say he would be more deserving seeing as he would be a Grey Cup champion QB versus just some guy who had a lengthy career and a fair chunk of said career as a backup.    I get you are a Kevin Glenn fan and all but really now, what has he accomplished beyond throwing the ball a lot?

And last time I checked, us Canadians are not only awarding failure with participation awards left right and centre but we have also removed the soccer ball from the game of soccer in some instances to make things more "fair".   We love to award everyone for everything or you think that statement is erroneous?

3 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

ya, I'd say he would be more deserving seeing as he would be a Grey Cup champion QB versus just some guy who had a lengthy career and a fair chunk of said career as a backup.    I get you are a Kevin Glenn fan and all but really now, what has he accomplished beyond throwing the ball a lot?

By that logic, HOFers Dieter Brock or Sam Etcheverry aren't deserving as neither of them ever won a championship.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan - I'm not sure what that would even have to do with rationally pointing out his individual statistics, anyway - but I also don't hate the guy, either. Despite playing on some mediocre to bad teams and being relegated to a backup position at times, he cracked the 50K passing yardage mark and has tossed nearly 300 TDs.

And seriously, what else is the bulk of a QB's job besides throwing the ball?

Have to applaud Glenn's career, he is an extremely motivated individual to continue his career as long as he has, playing for so many different teams and absorbing so much rejection.  Most QB's would have thrown in the towel and moved on with their lives after a decade or so but Glenn just keeps chasing the dream.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

By that logic, HOFers Dieter Brock or Sam Etcheverry aren't deserving as neither of them ever won a championship.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan - I'm not sure what that would even have to do with rationally pointing out his individual statistics, anyway - but I also don't hate the guy, either. Despite playing on some mediocre to bad teams and being relegated to a backup position at times, he cracked the 50K passing yardage mark and has tossed nearly 300 TDs.

And seriously, what else is the bulk of a QB's job besides throwing the ball?

oh I don't know... win games, be a leader, make a difference,  ****** defeat from the jaws of victory?    he is a QB, a mediocre one who didn't accomplish much beyond piling up passing yards... in a passing league...   if he happened to do something.... ANYTHING.. beyond sulking on the bench when not in, showing zero remorse for costing his teams games for lack of drive or throwing back breaking INTs at the most inopportune times... sure, i'd say give him a nod for the hall but I've watched him for almost his whole career.. he has not been a hall of famer QB.

6 hours ago, SPuDS said:

oh I don't know... win games, be a leader, make a difference,  ****** defeat from the jaws of victory?    he is a QB, a mediocre one who didn't accomplish much beyond piling up passing yards... in a passing league...   if he happened to do something.... ANYTHING.. beyond sulking on the bench when not in, showing zero remorse for costing his teams games for lack of drive or throwing back breaking INTs at the most inopportune times... sure, i'd say give him a nod for the hall but I've watched him for almost his whole career.. he has not been a hall of famer QB.

He didn't just pile up passing yards, though. He did it at an incredible rate. Over 50k. How many other QBs can say that? 

If he had won just one Grey Cup as the starter, would you say he's deserves to be in the HOF? 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

He didn't just pile up passing yards, though. He did it at an incredible rate. Over 50k. How many other QBs can say that? 

If he had won just one Grey Cup as the starter, would you say he's deserves to be in the HOF? 

All he'd have to do is still be a bomber and Spuds would be leading the HOF campaign... ;)

2 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

If the guy doesn’t break his flipping arm in the Eastern Final he likely wins the Cup.  He must be doing something right for teams keep signing him.....even if it is as a depth guy.  He is a team guy, a good role model to younger players and a quality person.

He's a depth guy who always managed to find himself starting. Quite incredible, really.