Glenn to Edm

Booch

Damon Allen was a terrible pocket passer who lasted by being able to escape. I remember we always called him Gumby cause the guy never got hurt. I remember he was SO mad when he didn't get into the Hall right away which only proved the point that he was never that good and the HOF people knew it. They eventually relented because of his overall numbers, but there's no question the guy had big numbers only because he lasted so long. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Damon Allen was a terrible pocket passer who lasted by being able to escape. I remember we always called him Gumby cause the guy never got hurt. I remember he was SO mad when he didn't get into the Hall right away which only proved the point that he was never that good and the HOF people knew it. They eventually relented because of his overall numbers, but there's no question the guy had big numbers only because he lasted so long. 

C'mon man. that is so decidedly one sided &  hateful that it ain't funny. You & 17to85 are trying to convince us that Allen was one step above being basically competent. He won 4 Grey Cups. Not every team had great talent surrounding him like the Lions who finished second during  the regular season in the West Division in 2000.  Glenn could never elevate the players around him but Allen could. Glenn can't win the last game of the season. I've seen him turn coward & turtle more times than any other qb I've seen play. Where Matt Dunigan would spit in the collective face of any defense he faced when he was getting beat up, Glenn just shuts off.  I never saw Allen do that. He played & he won. Glennis always the great alternative but never the undisputed starter. Allen was.

1. Other than 2007, in which season did Glenn deserve to be considered as an MOP candidate?

2. Allen had a winning record as a starting QB, Glenn does not, how does this not move Allen ahead of Glenn?

3. Being a dual threat doesn't count? Allen could hurt teams with his arm and his legs, Glenn could not.  Allen's ability to run added another element for Defenses to scheme and account for. Running ability enhances things such as play action.

4. Allen was an undisputed starter as Speed Flex said, Glenn generally was not.

5. Glenn has 3 season in his career where he lead his team to a winning record, Allen had 8.

Edited by rebusrankin

It's the Grey Cup. You can start Allen or Glenn. Who you gonna start?

Maybe Allen and Glenn had similar careers in that they both played forever and they were both the guy who got the call from the team that finished last in the annual QB shuffle.  But Allen was a stopgap who could actually win Grey Cups and that alone puts him above Glenn in the all-time QB rankings.  Then you consider that Allen's ceiling was a couple miles above Glenn's, that he was clutch as hell, and that he had a way more diverse skillset, and there's really no comparing them aside from that longevity.

That said, I do think Glenn's resilience and longevity is a hell of an achievement and I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Hall.  But leaving him out wouldn't be a crime.  Leaving Allen out of the Hall would be.

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Back in 2006 Allen was voted the 14th greatest player in CFL history.  The top-50 list was voted on by former players.  Seems they thought he was a very good player.

44 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Back in 2006 Allen was voted the 14th greatest player in CFL history.  The top-50 list was voted on by former players.  Seems they thought he was a very good player.

I understand that the Defensive Back Association of Canada voted Kevin Glenn "Best Quarterback Ever".

3 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

you mean the year after his only CFL MOP season and after he'd compiled the bulk of his career stats? Hardly a nonbiased poll. Allen has his reputation because of his longevity nothing more. 

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

you mean the year after his only CFL MOP season and after he'd compiled the bulk of his career stats? Hardly a nonbiased poll. Allen has his reputation because of his longevity nothing more. 

Allen has this reputation because he's won 4 Grey Cups with 4 different teams while Glenn hasn't won any playing for 9 teams. 

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Well, Darian Durant is considerably better than you Kevin Glenn. 

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'm thinking that not signing Glenn will make signing our DB's a whole lot easier because salary < salary+stat padding

How do we know that he wasn’t chirping about Regina? They were his last team and subsequently ponied up a lot more for Collaros than what they were willing to pay Glenn.

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You could apply the same logic to Glenn, though. Longevity is a factor to consider for any QB who's had a lengthy career.

11 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

How do we know that he wasn’t chirping about Regina? They were his last team and subsequently ponied up a lot more for Collaros than what they were willing to pay Glenn.

This is true. Glenn's already responded:

Even if this has nothing to do with football, making vague statements on social media will get varied reactions. Leave something open to interpretation and that's what happens.

He should've just kept his "random thoughts" to himself.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You could apply the same logic to Glenn, though. Longevity is a factor to consider for any QB who's had a lengthy career.

This is true. Glenn's already responded:

Even if this has nothing to do with football, making vague statements on social media will get varied reactions. Leave something open to interpretation and that's what happens.

He should've just kept his "random thoughts" to himself.

Random thoughts? Yeah, he realized the backlash from talking trash & backed off.  A wise man once said, "Stupid is as stupid does". 

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

3DownNation is so stupid.  Really going to "report" everyday on random tweets?  That tweet could literally be about anything/anyone.

I like 3DN but not as much as I used to. I'm seriously considering blocking it as they are reporting a lot of non stories now & the fan comments are UGH!! Reading what those dimwits say lowers the credibility of the site. There shouldn't be any comments as most of the people who do post are stupid. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I like 3DN but not as much as I used to. I'm seriously considering blocking it as they are reporting a lot of non stories now & the fan comments are UGH!! Reading what those dimwits say lowers the credibility of the site. There shouldn't be any comments as most of the people who do post are stupid. 

Given who they have as "staff" the comments are sometimes more enlightening.

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

wait why would people assume he's talking about Winnipeg and Durant and not you know... the Riders who he was recently with who went and spent a crapload on qbs recently...

3 Down Football wrote a story  indicating he was taking a shot at the Bombers for not signing him. People react as the story is slanted against the Bombers. At the same time, Glenn would have to be an absolute idiot if he claimed he didn't know that tweet could be interpreted as a shot to the Bombers or any other CFL team. He knew. 

50 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

wait why would people assume he's talking about Winnipeg and Durant and not you know... the Riders who he was recently with who went and spent a crapload on qbs recently...

Or maybe his friend said he doesn't care about cars and just went out and bought a $40,000 car.  Tweet could literally be about anything.