Darian Durant signs with Bombers

Jpan85

41 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Well I guess the previous haters are now lovers......funny how that is.

Sure fans disliked dd, but I think he was well respected. He still wasnt top teir in terms of all time qbs in the cfl. But he was a lot better then the QBing we had most of his time in the cfl.  A former high level starter is almost always welcomed as a new back up for depth. 

58 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

you might be right about our starting line up. But Its probably the smart move in the cfl. Kicking and back up qbing is too important. If this ends up being our big off season get then Im gonna be a bit worried. But I am confident in our scouting. 

Thats the truth. You can argue him or glenn for better back up. But aside from glenn idk the last time our QBing was soo strong. 

Probably 2 years ago when Glenn was here but he never saw the field behind Nichols. it was good knowing he was there. Historically? When John Hufnagel was backing up Tom Clements from 1983-86. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just going to state a couple things and then let the Bomber fans discuss. 

Bombers GM Kyle Walters tried to get Kevin Glen for a penny and a song. Telling Glen the Bombers are not willing to spend the kind of money Kevin wanted for a second QB. Walters told Glenn the money is needed elsewhere. Then they lost Glenn to the EE who stepped up for Kevin's services. Even though the EE are paying Reilly over $500K.  More than the Bombers are paying Nichols.                              So now all of a sudden the sky is falling and Walters pays even more money for Durant than Glen wanted. When it's as plain as day the Glen has been the better QB these past few seasons. Glen would have been a better Bomber than Durant. For several reasons! Most importantly Glen would have known his place on the team.  Where as now if I’m Nichols I’m thinking just a minute here. Everyone in the orginization is telling me this is my team. Yet you just signed a guy who has stated over and over that unequivocally he still wants to be a starter!!!!  Not once have the word back up been used by Darian Durant. It is not in his Vocabulary at this point in his career. It's only been other people’s words.  Darian and LaPolice had a working relationship in the past. If I’m Nichols I’m thinking… What a croque! Im going to be thinking what's really going on. They passed on Glen but went with Durant who wants to be a starter. There is no doubt that psychologically it's going to effected some of Nichols decision making both on and off the field. Bombers. Walters made a mistake signing Durant; monatarily, psychologically and of field QB support  (lack there of)

On top of all of this. During Durants time in SK. Durant publically stated on several occasions his dislike of Bomber fans. Durant stated how much he disliked Bomber fans when Bomber fans covered the Saskatchewan #1 highway sign that welcomes you to Saskatchewan with “Welcome to Swaggerville”. You could see it and hear it in his voice. Durant hated everything to do with Winnipeg. He never ever spoke that way about any other teams fans!
I'm sorry but Glen has a better arm than Durant. Glen is a team guy where as Darian is a me guy. Winnipeg now has a QB that figures he's going to push for the starting job at camp. 

I honestly think this signing will not be a good one.

OK discuss  

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, damned if we do signing Durant as now he's too expensive. Damned if we don't as we have no capable backups as we cheaped out at the 2 backup positions. So, TBurg, what would you have done? No one is asking Durant to go out there & win a GC all on his own. All he's being asked todo is to be competent & give the Bombers the best chance to win if Nichols goes down. Good CFL backups are making $180-225,000 which is market value. I expect that is what DD is being paid.  Getting rid of LeFevour's & Davis's contracts will offset this signing. LeFevour didn't play for free & he was vastly overpaid for what he could do on the field as a qb.

Durant, who had options, didn't sign with Winnipeg for the same as LeFevour, who no one else wanted, unless we were vastly overpaying LeFevour. We still need a 3rd and 4th string QB, so there is no offset for Davis' salary, just LeFevour's.

Durant was far from competent last year. Glenn, who most around here hate, outplayed him. Durant was far from competent the year before, so Jones replaced him with Glenn. It's not realistic to assume that  Durant will suddenly become competent again this year. 

Durant is a former great QB who hasn't been the same since he got injured against us without taking a hit.  Folks around here are remembering what he was when they say that he's a great backup QB.  He's a vet on his way down, who is still better than LeFevour but, that's about all he is these days.

31 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just going to state a couple things and then let the Bomber fans discuss. 

Bombers GM Kyle Walters tried to get Kevin Glen for a penny and a song. Telling Glen the Bombers are not willing to spend the kind of money Kevin wanted for a second QB. Walters told Glenn the money is needed elsewhere. Then they lost Glenn to the EE who stepped up for Kevin's services. Even though the EE are paying Reilly over $500K.  More than the Bombers are paying Nichols.                              So now all of a sudden the sky is falling and Walters pays even more money for Durant than Glen wanted. When it's as plain as day the Glen has been the better QB these past few seasons. Glen would have been a better Bomber than Durant. For several reasons! Most importantly Glen would have known his place on the team.  Where as now if I’m Nichols I’m thinking just a minute here. Everyone in the orginization is telling me this is my team. Yet you just signed a guy who has stated over and over that unequivocally he still wants to be a starter!!!!  Not once have the word back up been used by Darian Durant. It is not in his Vocabulary at this point in his career. It's only been other people’s words.  Darian and LaPolice had a working relationship in the past. If I’m Nichols I’m thinking… What a croque! Im going to be thinking what's really going on. They passed on Glen but went with Durant who wants to be a starter. There is no doubt that psychologically it's going to effected some of Nichols decision making both on and off the field. Bombers. Walters made a mistake signing Durant; monatarily, psychologically and of field QB support  (lack there of)

On top of all of this. During Durants time in SK. Durant publically stated on several occasions his dislike of Bomber fans. Durant stated how much he disliked Bomber fans when Bomber fans covered the Saskatchewan #1 highway sign that welcomes you to Saskatchewan with “Welcome to Swaggerville”. You could see it and hear it in his voice. Durant hated everything to do with Winnipeg. He never ever spoke that way about any other teams fans!
I'm sorry but Glen has a better arm than Durant. Glen is a team guy where as Darian is a me guy. Winnipeg now has a QB that figures he's going to push for the starting job at camp. 

OK discuss  

I'll discuss how full of holes this is. How there's no way you'd be able to back up any of the claims you're making. As for Durant trying to push for a starters spot (to be fair thats not a bad thing...but regardless) I spoke to Matt and just told him that I’m just coming in to support you 100 percent. You’re the guy. You helped build what is Winnipeg Blue Bomber football in its present day,” said Durant.

seems like he is really here to shake things up! Lol

Edited by Bigblue204

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Durant, who had options, didn't sign with Winnipeg for the same as LeFevour, who no one else wanted, unless we were vastly overpaying LeFevour. We still need a 3rd and 4th string QB, so there is no offset for Davis' salary, just LeFevour's.

Durant was far from competent last year. Glenn, who most around here hate, outplayed him. Durant was far from competent the year before, so Jones replaced him with Glenn. It's not realistic to assume that  Durant will suddenly become competent again this year. 

Durant is a former great QB who hasn't been the same since he got injured against us without taking a hit.  Folks around here are remembering what he was when they say that he's a great backup QB.  He's a vet on his way down, who is still better than LeFevour but, that's about all he is these days.

He is better than anything we could have got. So, I'm satisfied. Glenn is on his way down as well. Again, you don't give an alternative. Who would you sign?

22 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

OK discuss  

Okay, thanks for the input Migs or anonymous Rider fan. Buh bye.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

44 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

Where as now if I’m Nichols I’m thinking just a minute here. Everyone in the orginization is telling me this is my team. Yet you just signed a guy who has stated over and over that unequivocally he still wants to be a starter!!!!  Not once have the word back up been used by Darian Durant. It is not in his Vocabulary at this point in his career. It's only been other people’s words.  Darian and LaPolice had a working relationship in the past. If I’m Nichols I’m thinking… What a croque! Im going to be thinking what's really going on. They passed on Glen but went with Durant who wants to be a starter. There is no doubt that psychologically it's going to effected some of Nichols decision making both on and off the field. Bombers. Walters made a mistake signing Durant; monatarily, psychologically and of field QB support  (lack there of)

Dude,

if you think that Matt Nichols is at all worried about DD taking his starting job, etc,etc...

you don't know Matt Nichols.

I mean ,just look what the two qb's have done the last 2 seasons.

Edited by Zoidberg
spelling

38 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

OK discuss  

Some strange twisting of logic here but ok. I like Durant over Glenn because he has won a cup and is more mobile than Glenn.  Durant is an upgrade over what we had last year as a backup and that my friend is a fact. 

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I’m not a fan of Durant as a backup as he has a bit of a history of being hysterical.  Hopefully his attitude got knocked down about 10 pegs after last season and he can settle in.

I'd be more concerned about his attitude if we were bringing him in to sit behind a young qb. I don't think Durant knowing his place will be an issue  behind an established vet.

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He is better than anything we could have got. So, I'm satisfied. Glenn is on his way down as well. Again, you don't give an alternative. Who would you sign?

I'd trade with the Riders for Vernon Adams, who should be cheap as the 3rd man on their QB chart. If that didn't work out, I'd call Cato and see if he's grown up yet. Both of those guys have upside, are young and have shown flashes of having what it takes to win in the CFL.

If I wanted to go with an aging vet, which I don't because it would create the same SMS issue, I'd take Glenn over Durant for the same $.

Just now, Mike said:

I find it interesting that one of TB’s biggest criticisms of our roster has been that we, for a long time, didn’t roster an experienced backup QB and now that we have for the past two years, he’s complained about both of them at the time they signed.

Contrarian gotta contrary...

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I'd trade with the Riders for Vernon Adams, who should be cheap as the 3rd man on their QB chart. If that didn't work out, I'd call Cato and see if he's grown up yet. Both of those guys have upside, are young and have shown flashes of having what it takes to win in the CFL.

If I wanted to go with an aging vet, which I don't because it would create the same SMS issue, I'd take Glenn over Durant for the same $.

Wait... what?

1. What would you give up to get Adams? It'd be a tough sell to our rival, especially for a player in the most important position in the CFL. I don't think they'd be interested in Davis or LeFevour.

2. Cato played 30 games for the Als over the 2015/2016 seasons - the Als were 6-12 and 7-11. Not only that, he's a guy that is known to have attitude issues, and you want to bring him in as a bench warmer?

3. Glenn (38) is even older than Durant (35). Besides, for contract negotiations, if you're pinching pennies, who would you rather negotiate a price with?
- Glenn - who just finished another year leading a team into the playoffs, known as the best backup in the business right now.
- Durant - Just released from tire-fire city, coming off some of his worst years.

End of the day, management recognized that Davis/LeFevour aren't going to cut it if Nichols goes down. They tried for Glenn, he asked to much - so we got Durant instead.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I find it interesting that one of TB’s biggest criticisms of our roster has been that we, for a long time, didn’t roster an experienced backup QB and now that we have for the past two years, he’s complained about both of them at the time they signed.

When you make stuff up and pretend it's the truth. I think Donald Trump and his fake news.

FTR: I was ecstatic that we got something for Willy and that we signed Glenn, an experienced backup QB. I didn't like the LeFevour signing and he's not a vet QB. I don't like the Durant signing and my biggest criticism of the last couple of years has been starting Hurl at MLB.

30 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

What are you willing to give up for him?

A 3rd round pick would likely get it done.

56 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Wait... what?

1. What would you give up to get Adams? It'd be a tough sell to our rival, especially for a player in the most important position in the CFL. I don't think they'd be interested in Davis or LeFevour.

2. Cato played 30 games for the Als over the 2015/2016 seasons - the Als were 6-12 and 7-11. Not only that, he's a guy that is known to have attitude issues, and you want to bring him in as a bench warmer?

3. Glenn (38) is even older than Durant (35). Besides, for contract negotiations, if you're pinching pennies, who would you rather negotiate a price with?
- Glenn - who just finished another year leading a team into the playoffs, known as the best backup in the business right now.
- Durant - Just released from tire-fire city, coming off some of his worst years.

End of the day, management recognized that Davis/LeFevour aren't going to cut it if Nichols goes down. They tried for Glenn, he asked to much - so we got Durant instead.

1. See last comment. To add to it... Adams is their 3rd string QB who probably wants out. Jones just paid a ton for his top 2 QB's, so he's likely to want to get rid of Adams and would be happy to trade him for very little in return unless multiple teams are bidding and I don't think will happen.

2. Yup. I'd rather have a guy with some upside than one who is living off of their past accomplishments and is most likely done like dinner. 

3. Don't care how old a QB on a 1 year contract is. I prefer Glenn because he played better last year than Durant did. I don't have contract details, but I'd guess that Durant and Glenn are making similar salaries this year.

I'm not suggesting that LeFevour or Davis can get the job done if Nichols goes down. I'm suggesting that Durant won't be able to get the job done if Nichols goes down and that's the backup QB's job.

5 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Well I guess the previous haters are now lovers......funny how that is.

I always said he had good receivers and threw a lot of balls up for grabs, that’s still true of him. It’s also been true of Mike Reilly this past season. That doesn’t make either of them a bad QB as a whole. 

17 minutes ago, tracker said:

Durant didn't have many viable options, and neither did the Bombers for a credible backup. That said, Durant potentially gives us the best backup we have for a long while. Yes, he's a gamble but he has had success, and I'm happy to have him here.

Durant had 3 offers on the table. So.. Maybe read some articles or even this thread b4 spewing BS.