Darian Durant signs with Bombers

Jpan85

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

A 3rd round pick would likely get it done.

A 3rd round CFL pick would be a very, very hard sell. Riders are stupid, but even they aren't that stupid. If Jones really wanted him out, he'd just cut him loose.

I'd agree that Glenn is a better backup than Durant, but I think people are overestimating Durant's ability to bargain in the league right now - if he's relegated to backup status now, most teams are pretty stable at the position. A quick rundown of the current backup status for each team (I've bolded who I think would've made offers to him)

Calgary - Buckley seems to have 2nd string down, besides they seem to have no problem digging up QBs.
Edmonton - Signed Glenn - no need for another backup
Winnipeg - We really needed a backup
Sask. - He got run out of town here a few years ago
B.C. - They have Lulay, but he could be done...

Toronto - Argos acquired James Franklins' rights - even if Ray retires, Fajardo seems okay.
Montreal - He just got released here
Hamilton - Maybe - but they seem set on Manziel sweepstakes...
Ottawa - I could've seen him going here too.

Coming off another bad year - I don't think Durant would've been able to ask for too much. If we didn't overpay for him, I think it's a good signing.

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

A 3rd round CFL pick would be a very, very hard sell. Riders are stupid, but even they aren't that stupid. If Jones really wanted him out, he'd just cut him loose.

I'd agree that Glenn is a better backup than Durant, but I think people are overestimating Durant's ability to bargain in the league right now - if he's relegated to backup status now, most teams are pretty stable at the position. A quick rundown of the current backup status for each team (I've bolded who I think would've made offers to him)

Calgary - Buckley seems to have 2nd string down, besides they seem to have no problem digging up QBs.
Edmonton - Signed Glenn - no need for another backup
Winnipeg - We really needed a backup
Sask. - He got run out of town here a few years ago
B.C. - They have Lulay, but he could be done...

Toronto - Argos acquired James Franklins' rights - even if Ray retires, Fajardo seems okay.
Montreal - He just got released here
Hamilton - Maybe - but they seem set on Manziel sweepstakes...
Ottawa - I could've seen him going here too.

Coming off another bad year - I don't think Durant would've been able to ask for too much. If we didn't overpay for him, I think it's a good signing.

Dont have to think bro.. It was confirmed by ppl like bauming that those were the 3 teams. Actually BC Ham and WPG. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Calgary seems like a team that needs a backup to me.  BLM is coming off a pretty tough surgery/rehab.  Buckley and the rest looked like garbage outside of the Hamilton 62-0 game.

I actually thought they'd sign Glenn...

8 hours ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just going to state a couple things and then let the Bomber fans discuss. 

Bombers GM Kyle Walters tried to get Kevin Glen for a penny and a song. Telling Glen the Bombers are not willing to spend the kind of money Kevin wanted for a second QB. Walters told Glenn the money is needed elsewhere. Then they lost Glenn to the EE who stepped up for Kevin's services. Even though the EE are paying Reilly over $500K.  More than the Bombers are paying Nichols.                              So now all of a sudden the sky is falling and Walters pays even more money for Durant than Glen wanted. When it's as plain as day the Glen has been the better QB these past few seasons. Glen would have been a better Bomber than Durant. For several reasons! Most importantly Glen would have known his place on the team.  Where as now if I’m Nichols I’m thinking just a minute here. Everyone in the orginization is telling me this is my team. Yet you just signed a guy who has stated over and over that unequivocally he still wants to be a starter!!!!  Not once have the word back up been used by Darian Durant. It is not in his Vocabulary at this point in his career. It's only been other people’s words.  Darian and LaPolice had a working relationship in the past. If I’m Nichols I’m thinking… What a croque! Im going to be thinking what's really going on. They passed on Glen but went with Durant who wants to be a starter. There is no doubt that psychologically it's going to effected some of Nichols decision making both on and off the field. Bombers. Walters made a mistake signing Durant; monatarily, psychologically and of field QB support  (lack there of)

On top of all of this. During Durants time in SK. Durant publically stated on several occasions his dislike of Bomber fans. Durant stated how much he disliked Bomber fans when Bomber fans covered the Saskatchewan #1 highway sign that welcomes you to Saskatchewan with “Welcome to Swaggerville”. You could see it and hear it in his voice. Durant hated everything to do with Winnipeg. He never ever spoke that way about any other teams fans!
I'm sorry but Glen has a better arm than Durant. Glen is a team guy where as Darian is a me guy. Winnipeg now has a QB that figures he's going to push for the starting job at camp. 

I honestly think this signing will not be a good one.

OK discuss  

Sure Walter's was trying to get Glenn for cheap (who wouldn't). However, since they didn't pony up and match or surpass the Edmonton offer I think there's more too this then simply trying to get Glenn for cheap.  LaPolice seems to really value having a dynamic short yardage unit and I just don't think that Kevin Glenn is well suited to running that package. He's not big or tall and he's never been fast. With Durant he can likely run that package really well. So when you break it down the bombers can afford to pay Durant more since he can do the job of Glenn and Lefevour. Had we signed Glenn we may have needed to pay Lefevour considerably more than a rookie will cost us to be our 3rd string quarterback. 

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I find it interesting that one of TB’s biggest criticisms of our roster has been that we, for a long time, didn’t roster an experienced backup QB and now that we have for the past two years, he’s complained about both of them at the time they signed.

Meh he complains about everything the bombers do so no surprises.

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

When you make stuff up and pretend it's the truth. I think Donald Trump and his fake news.

FTR: I was ecstatic that we got something for Willy and that we signed Glenn, an experienced backup QB. I didn't like the LeFevour signing and he's not a vet QB. I don't like the Durant signing and my biggest criticism of the last couple of years has been starting Hurl at MLB.

A 3rd round pick would likely get it done.

1. See last comment. To add to it... Adams is their 3rd string QB who probably wants out. Jones just paid a ton for his top 2 QB's, so he's likely to want to get rid of Adams and would be happy to trade him for very little in return unless multiple teams are bidding and I don't think will happen.

2. Yup. I'd rather have a guy with some upside than one who is living off of their past accomplishments and is most likely done like dinner. 

3. Don't care how old a QB on a 1 year contract is. I prefer Glenn because he played better last year than Durant did. I don't have contract details, but I'd guess that Durant and Glenn are making similar salaries this year.

I'm not suggesting that LeFevour or Davis can get the job done if Nichols goes down. I'm suggesting that Durant won't be able to get the job done if Nichols goes down and that's the backup QB's job.

Sorry TBurg, I usually agree with a lot of what you say but you're way off on this one. 

I wouldn't want Glenn. Never had. Not because he can't manage a game an run an offence, but because he can't do anything else or over and above that.

But, Bluto, isn't that the lion's share of his job description?

Yes. Which is why such a bang average QB has enjoyed such a long and lucrative career in our league. I also feel that in fairness to Glenn, I should mention that he's also a team-guy and doesn't seem to have any significant character flaws (and you likely would have to stretch to say the same about Durant).

My issue with KG has ever been that he simply doesn't have it in him to rise above the game and take it over. His skills, mental-game, leadership and physicality just don't get to a level where he'll ever strap the team on his back and carry it over the goal line. When a guy like Ray comes on the field in the dying minutes and needs a score to win, the only worry you have is whether he'll leave enough time on the clock for the other team for them to try to pull the lead back. With Glenn, not only do you doubt he'll win it, but you're pretty sure that he'll sense a blitz comig, get happy-feet and toss up an INT or a fumble.  This is why he is not, and never will be, a big game QB. In big games, the true playmakers step forward and impose their will on the game. Glenn doesn't have that gear. He'll win you 8-12 games in the regular season and put up borderline all-star numbers... but once the heat is on, he'll make his meek exit.

But, Bluto, do we really need a bona fide match-winner as our #2?

Need? No. But Nichols has a history of injuries. Sorry to bring this up, but it seems germane to my point, but does anyone else remember 2007 when you needed a backup to win a big game? Ask yourself, in one game for all the marbles, who would you rather have leading the Bombers. And I guess that's the entirety of my point here.

Edited by bluto
specificity

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Nichols has a history of injuries...? He's missed all of one game the last 4 seasons.

And QB depth is crucial for any team, regardless of the starter's injury history.

Yes. A brutal leg break, and a nasty knee injury when he tackled a guy. There were worries that he was going to be one of those guys with potential but never made it due to being snakebit with bad luck and injury-proneness.  

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Yes. A brutal leg break, and a nasty knee injury when he tackled a guy. There were worries that he was going to be one of those guys with potential but never made it due to being snakebit with bad luck and injury-proneness.  

Sure, there were worries after two pretty ugly injuries way back when. I'm pretty sure they've been put to rest in the four seasons he's played since then, though.

Anyway, Durant's addition to the QB corps is a considerable upgrade over LeFevour or Davis - or any previous QB in recent years on this team. I just hope said addition came at a reasonable price and won't hinder the roster when it comes upgrading key positions like MLB and receiver.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sorry TBurg, I usually agree with a lot of what you say but you're way off on this one. 

Agree to disagree then.

I think Durant's done and has been for a while. You think he still has what it takes to win games. 

You'd rather use the SMS on a vet backup QB. I'd rather use it on Bond or Westerman.

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Agree to disagree then.

I think Durant's done and has been for a while. You think he still has what it takes to win games. 

You'd rather use the SMS on a vet backup QB. I'd rather use it on Bond or Westerman.

And then ***** when Nichols gets hurt and we have no QB depth

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Agree to disagree then.

Attempts to engage TBurg's inner Devil's Advocate:  How much of looking like he's "done" would or could you ascribe to having been in the dumpster fire that is the Alouette Football Club?

Edited by bluto
sp

32 minutes ago, bluto said:

I wouldn't want Glenn. Never had. Not because he can't manage a game an run an offence, but because he can't do anything else or over and above that.

Yes. Which is why such a bang average QB has enjoyed such a long and lucrative career in our league. I also feel that in fairness to Glenn, I should mention that he's also a team-guy and doesn't seem to have any significant character flaws (and you likely would have to stretch to say the same about Durant).

My issue with KG has ever been that he simply doesn't have it in him to rise above the game and take it over. His skills, mental-game, leadership and physicality just don't get to a level where he'll ever strap the team on his back and carry it over the goal line. When a guy like Ray comes on the field in the dying minutes and needs a score to win, the only worry you have is whether he'll leave enough time on the clock for the other team for them to try to pull the lead back. With Glenn, not only do you doubt he'll win it, but you're pretty sure that he'll sense a blitz comig, get happy-feet and toss up an INT or a fumble.  This is why he is not, and never will be, a big game QB. In big games, the true playmakers step forward and impose their will on the game. Glenn doesn't have that gear. He'll win you 8-12 games in the regular season and put up borderline all-star numbers... but once the heat is on, he'll make his meek exit.

Couldn't agree more.  Everyone talks about how great Glenn is as a backup QB but how many teams have won the GC after signing him?  You'd think if he was so fantastic it would have worked out at some point in the last 15 years.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

In all fairness, neither Glenn or Durant are likely to win you a cup...  Kevin Glenn's broken arm and then Kory Sheets won Durant's grey cups

I also don't think its a choice between Westerman/Bond and a backup QB though

It was actually Kerry Joseph he beneficiary of Glenns arm break wasn't it? I have a hard time giving backups credit for cups. Durant won later, and hell maybe he would have had a second if his team knew how to count in 09 right?

I think Durant is absolutely capable of winning a cup. Guy is actually a pretty solid winner as a player outside of last year, but come on, Montreal was a dumpster fire, no one was winning with that bunch. 

3 hours ago, bluto said:

But, Bluto, do we really need a bona fide match-winner as our #2?

Need? No. But Nichols has a history of injuries. Sorry to bring this up, but it seems germane to my point, but does anyone else remember 2007 when you needed a backup to win a big game? Ask yourself, in one game for all the marbles, who would you rather have leading the Bombers. And I guess that's the entirety of my point here.

its nice to see someone from outside the zone so to speak, weigh in on Glenn.   this would be perfect for the Glenn "hof" discussion that is going on in another thread.

agree 100%