Darian Durant signs with Bombers

Jpan85

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

In all fairness, neither Glenn or Durant are likely to win you a cup...  Kevin Glenn's broken arm and then Kory Sheets won Durant's grey cups

Glenn's broken arm will forever haunt him - and us fans here in Winnipeg. We'd likely be talking about a decade-long drought had Eiben not jumped on him in that East Final.

And that bolded part is a pretty unfair assessment. Durant's 2013 playoff performance was one for the history books: 3 GP, 60 COMP/ 77 ATT (77.9%), 795 passing yards, 8 TDs and no INTs. 2013 was hands down his best season in the CFL, post-season inclusive.

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

My only concern with Durant as the back-up is his head. Is he really, truly ready to be the back-up? Ready to get back-up reps and hold a clipboard?

I agree but so far, he has been saying the right things... suppose only time will tell.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Saying the right thing now and living it are two different things. Let's just hope he means it.

Unless the Bombers gave Durant a big lump of money up front, I cannot see how this could really hurt them. If Durant shows his stuff well at training camp, great. If he gets beaten out by a newcomer, that's Ok too. The Bombers won as many playoff games as the Riders last year, and that is no longer acceptable. Just making the playoffs and bowing out after one  game is not good enough and will lead to significant changes in either coaching or the GM position.

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm wondering with Durant in the fold will this influence O'Shea's approach in going to the QB bullpen a bit more often than previous seasons.

I doubt it.. He likes to ride his starter, hell or high water..  Can't say I don't agree with that concept.   It is good to know that if for some reason Nichols does struggle for a few games or gets nicked up, we can go to someone who has proven they can win a game or two...  But I don't think it will effect how quickly Nichols (if he ever does) gets the hook..

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

Unless the Bombers gave Durant a big lump of money up front, I cannot see how this could really hurt them. If Durant shows his stuff well at training camp, great. If he gets beaten out by a newcomer, that's Ok too. The Bombers won as many playoff games as the Riders last year, and that is no longer acceptable. Just making the playoffs and bowing out after one  game is not good enough and will lead to significant changes in either coaching or the GM position.

Actually, the Riders won 1 more playoff game than the Bombers last year.... 31-20 over Ottawa.

7 hours ago, bluto said:

Yes. A brutal leg break, and a nasty knee injury when he tackled a guy. There were worries that he was going to be one of those guys with potential but never made it due to being snakebit with bad luck and injury-proneness.  

Right but at this point. The worries have been proven to be unfounded.  However, regardless of who your starting qb is you need to have a good backup in the CFL. You might get lucky one season and have no injuries from your starter but you just never know. 

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think we see Davis gone unless he has a really cheap deal and a young QB as #3 with a second on the PR.

I agree.  We need to start developing a guy who can become the backup after Durant.  And it makes sense to go cheap at #3 with Durant making a decent amount as a backup.

Do we even know if he is making bigger bucks?

I highly doubt it and it prob has a clause in it for any starts he may get due to injury...nichols failing etc...good move to pick him up regardless.

If it means Davis has to go..so be it..the trade off of Durant and rookie 3rd string would be less than we woulda payed for Davis and Lefevour. 

We now have a guy who is familiar with coordinator.. an important receiver in Dressler and a guy who is a proven qb who can win and has seen all the defensive looks a qb will see in a game and will give us best chance to win games.

I going to like to see Durant on the short yardage plays stay in in cheetah like Lefevour..but actually make the next play and have ability to stay on field for several plays and run our offence against a jumbo set who cant get off the field..

9 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

I think Bluto hit the nail on the head, Durant has a bit of the X factor, give him some time with our O-line I think he will extend plays until his receivers get open more often than not.

I dont think he will get that many reps. Hes the backup to Nichols. 

Edited by Goalie

In today's episode of "How the Bombers Failed..."

Tburg be Tburging again.  Wonderful.  Everything the Bombers do is wrong, part 4658.

Durant is the bad decision.  Cato is the better choice.  Of course he is.

2016 stats, for those who don't like long posts or math and just want to skip to the end:

So Cato is both the luckiest and the worst.

Also not sure why people waste so much energy arguing with the rider troll.

Also not surprised that Tburg's "logic" lines up so closely with the rider troll's.

...using those numbers at face value (which oddly enough weren't always whole numbers when the math was done, maybe some borderline passes were counted as half interceptable?) and calculating through, this would be the 2016 percentage of interceptable balls per total passes thrown:

Cato - 7.7%

Masoli - 5.4%

Burris - 4.9%

Ray - 4.5%

Jennings - 4.3%

Willy - 4.2%

Glenn - 4.1%

Nichols - 3.6%

Durant - 3.4%

Collaros - 3.2%

Mitchell - 2.5%

Reilly - 2.2%

Harris - 2.1%

Apologies for the lack of fancy colours and formatting.

So Cato is both the luckiest and the worst.

Alright, back to work now.

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

Do we even know if he is making bigger bucks?

I highly doubt it and it prob has a clause in it for any starts he may get due to injury...nichols failing etc...good move to pick him up regardless.

If it means Davis has to go..so be it..the trade off of Durant and rookie 3rd string would be less than we woulda payed for Davis and Lefevour. 

We now have a guy who is familiar with coordinator.. an important receiver in Dressler and a guy who is a proven qb who can win and has seen all the defensive looks a qb will see in a game and will give us best chance to win games.

I going to like to see Durant on the short yardage plays stay in in cheetah like Lefevour..but actually make the next play and have ability to stay on field for several plays and run our offence against a jumbo set who cant get off the field..

I remember 3downnation mentioning that rookie QBs make league minimum and that Vernon Adams had a 'really good deal' because he was making like $70k...

But I also remember Mack talking about how we had to lock down Brink and Goltz at like $100k+ each as our backups...

If Jennings and Adams were both at league minimum, I would assume Davis can't be more than $60k with playing time bonus

44 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I remember 3downnation mentioning that rookie QBs make league minimum and that Vernon Adams had a 'really good deal' because he was making like $70k...

But I also remember Mack talking about how we had to lock down Brink and Goltz at like $100k+ each as our backups...

If Jennings and Adams were both at league minimum, I would assume Davis can't be more than $60k with playing time bonus

When the Manziel stuff was going down a month ago, it was reported that no QB in the league is making the league minimum and most are around 100k minimum.....

1 minute ago, mbrg said:

In today's episode of "How the Bombers Failed..."

Tburg be Tburging again.  Wonderful.  Everything the Bombers do is wrong, part 4658....

Alright, back to work now.

Everything is the Bombers do is wrong? :lol: This is the first off season move that I really dislike. I questioned re-signing Wild due to injury concerns and Nevis because he is expensive and was outplayed by the much cheaper Johnson, but I loved re-signing Randle and Bryant and I didn't complain about any of the other off season moves, but that doesn't matter cuz mbrg gotta mbrg. ;)

As for Cato being lucky... you bet he was, and I never suggested he wasn't, but that's not the only way to judge a QB. I didn't say he was my #1 choice . That would be Adams from the Riders. I didn't suggest that either of them were  to complete for the #1 job against Nichols, so what you really want to look at is how Cato compares to Davis/LeFevour. Cato threw for almost 10 times as many yards (3570) in his 2 year career than Davis (377) in his 3 year career and more than LeFevour (2620) in his 5 year career. He's only 25 and he has more playing time than Davis(28)/LeFevour(30) combined. 

Durant peaked yards wise in 2010 and hasn't played a full season since then. His Eff Rating was 93.3 in 2016 which is below most of the other starters including Cato and Jennings. Willy was the only starting QB below him. Durant's Eff Rating in 2017 was even worse at 85.1. Jennings and Collaros were the only 2 starters below him. I'll be very surprised if Durant turns it around this year, but luckily we don't need him to be #1 unless Nichols goes down.

13 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Everything is the Bombers do is wrong? :lol: This is the first off season move that I really dislike. I questioned re-signing Wild due to injury concerns and Nevis because he is expensive and was outplayed by the much cheaper Johnson, but I loved re-signing Randle and Bryant and I didn't complain about any of the other off season moves, but that doesn't matter cuz mbrg gotta mbrg. ;)

As for Cato being lucky... you bet he was, and I never suggested he wasn't, but that's not the only way to judge a QB. I didn't say he was my #1 choice . That would be Adams from the Riders. I didn't suggest that either of them were  to complete for the #1 job against Nichols, so what you really want to look at is how Cato compares to Davis/LeFevour. Cato threw for almost 10 times as many yards (3570) in his 2 year career than Davis (377) in his 3 year career and more than LeFevour (2620) in his 5 year career. He's only 25 and he has more playing time than Davis(28)/LeFevour(30) combined. 

Durant peaked yards wise in 2010 and hasn't played a full season since then. His Eff Rating was 93.3 in 2016 which is below most of the other starters including Cato and Jennings. Willy was the only starting QB below him. Durant's Eff Rating in 2017 was even worse at 85.1. Jennings and Collaros were the only 2 starters below him. I'll be very surprised if Durant turns it around this year, but luckily we don't need him to be #1 unless Nichols goes down.

You may have missed my prior post when I was asking, but I wondered to what extent you could attribute the sh__show that was in Montreal last year with Durant's play level? Any? And if so, what sort of boost it could be to his confidence and form in coming to a team that plays better football and actually seems to have a good clubhouse atmosphere?