Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jpan85

Darian Durant signs with Bombers

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Imagine what would happen if we beat the Riders in the play offs with Durant starting and Dressler having a monster game....  would be awesome. 

I'd rather see the Riders not make the playoffs and set fire to Jonestown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Besides being completely unproven at the CFL level, sure.

I'm thinking in terms of how much athleticism they have at this stage of their careers. But yah the smart money is on Durant.  If JS shows enough promise maybe we just let him sit for a year as the third stringer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Like it. Interested to see contract details, so I know how much to like it.

I feel very much the same. I hope this move doesnt come at the expense of a starter at another position.

That said, last year in MTL he was better then any of our back ups. And MTL was a hot mess. He fits the system, and is familiar with it. Hes the type of vet that can help all the other qbs on the roster. Strange to see him in a bomber uniform? At this point nothing is strange to me. Seen soo many faces of franchise change teams its not a shock any more. 

This isnt the same darian durant that left the riders. But it isnt the same one that played with an awful team last year. And he doesnt have to be the riders era DD. Its a bit of a toss up between durant and glenn for who the better back up would be. Edge to glenn after last season, but Id rather have dd late in a game then glenn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I feel very much the same. I hope this move doesnt come at the expense of a starter at another position.

That said, last year in MTL he was better then any of our back ups. And MTL was a hot mess. He fits the system, and is familiar with it. Hes the type of vet that can help all the other qbs on the roster. Strange to see him in a bomber uniform? At this point nothing is strange to me. Seen soo many faces of franchise change teams its not a shock any more. 

This isnt the same darian durant that left the riders. But it isnt the same one that played with an awful team last year. And he doesnt have to be the riders era DD. Its a bit of a toss up between durant and glenn for who the better back up would be. Edge to glenn after last season, but Id rather have dd late in a game then glenn. 

Between our kicker and our backup qb we might really be short changing our starting lineup.  But I personally feel it is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Its a bit of a toss up between durant and glenn for who the better back up would be. Edge to glenn after last season, but Id rather have dd late in a game then glenn. 

Durant AINEC. 

I don't care if he had trouble in Montreal last year, that team was a mess. Darian Durant is a good qb who knows what it takes to win the CFL. Past his prime? sure but as a backup you can certainly do a hell of a lot worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I'm very happy with this move. You want to be in a situation where you're fully confident in your backup qb so you don't feel pressured to play a taped together Nichols out of desperation. I have confidence in Durant playing under Lapo with his all time favorite target in the receiving core. My only disappointment is we likely will have to go with a cheap 3rd string QB as a result. I really liked the work that Dan LeFevour did in short yardage last season.   It's likely only a matter of time before Dom Davis is released. Feel bad for the guy but you know... it's a business.

Backups only get so many oppportunities & have to shine or at least show signs of progress when they do see the field. Davis never showed that. Probably time to move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Durant AINEC. 

I don't care if he had trouble in Montreal last year, that team was a mess. Darian Durant is a good qb who knows what it takes to win the CFL. Past his prime? sure but as a backup you can certainly do a hell of a lot worse. 

He's not expected to carry the team so this is a good scenario for Durant & the Bombers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I feel very much the same. I hope this move doesnt come at the expense of a starter at another position.

That said, last year in MTL he was better then any of our back ups. And MTL was a hot mess. He fits the system, and is familiar with it. Hes the type of vet that can help all the other qbs on the roster. Strange to see him in a bomber uniform? At this point nothing is strange to me. Seen soo many faces of franchise change teams its not a shock any more. 

This isnt the same darian durant that left the riders. But it isnt the same one that played with an awful team last year. And he doesnt have to be the riders era DD. Its a bit of a toss up between durant and glenn for who the better back up would be. Edge to glenn after last season, but Id rather have dd late in a game then glenn. 

The Darian Durant that isn't the guy who left the Riders is still better than the 2 players we had hit the field last season behind Nichols so I'm good with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we signed Durant in his prime, I'd love this move and expect him win the battle for #1 QB, but that's not who we signed. We signed Durant who hasn't looked good for at least a couple of years now. Durant who won a couple or three games last year. Durant who was widely inaccurate missing wide open receivers. Durant who was replaced  by Drew Freakn' Willy when he couldn't get the job done.

We are now way more expensive at the QB spot. Does that cost us one of our FA's or a new FA who could be a difference maker? At the very least, it tightens up our SMS room.

Backup QB's cost us one game last year. How many games did our MLB or two rookie DB's or below average receiving corps cost us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many assumptions about the contract.  Just because a guy has started doesn’t mean he’s getting paid like a starter now.

I’m not a fan of Durant as a backup as he has a bit of a history of being hysterical.  Hopefully his attitude got knocked down about 10 pegs after last season and he can settle in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Well I guess the previous haters are now lovers......funny how that is.

Never hated him as a player and you can argue one of the greats, not a particularly good starting QB to hang your entire season on given his age and injury issues but he's a great option as a backup QB.

IMO a step up on Kevin Glenn at this point in their career given athletic ability and ability to evade pressure.

Edited by Gotmilt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salary details haven’t been released which leads to speculation that he wanted to end his career with another grey cup ring. He spent over a decade in a dump at Regina always envious of any opportunity to play in our forested megalopolis, Winnipeg.  From Assiniboia to St. Vital, to the St.Pauls, to the Oakbank he has cherished this opportunity to live where we create outstanding garlic sausage, remarkable breads, Jennie’s cakes and Ellmans pickles. It’s an incredible dream great come true. With the Zoo, IGF, professional hockey, and the Big Blue personnel, he views this move as a instant improvement in his quality of life. Hopefully he can contribute to the teams success as he much as receives in benefits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

If we signed Durant in his prime, I'd love this move and expect him win the battle for #1 QB, but that's not who we signed. We signed Durant who hasn't looked good for at least a couple of years now. Durant who won a couple or three games last year. Durant who was widely inaccurate missing wide open receivers. Durant who was replaced  by Drew Freakn' Willy when he couldn't get the job done.

We are now way more expensive at the QB spot. Does that cost us one of our FA's or a new FA who could be a difference maker? At the very least, it tightens up our SMS room.

Backup QB's cost us one game last year. How many games did our MLB or two rookie DB's or below average receiving corps cost us?

So, damned if we do signing Durant as now he's too expensive. Damned if we don't as we have no capable backups as we cheaped out at the 2 backup positions. So, TBurg, what would you have done? No one is asking Durant to go out there & win a GC all on his own. All he's being asked todo is to be competent & give the Bombers the best chance to win if Nichols goes down. Good CFL backups are making $180-225,000 which is market value. I expect that is what DD is being paid.  Getting rid of LeFevour's & Davis's contracts will offset this signing. LeFevour didn't play for free & he was vastly overpaid for what he could do on the field as a qb.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Between our kicker and our backup qb we might really be short changing our starting lineup.  But I personally feel it is worth it.

you might be right about our starting line up. But Its probably the smart move in the cfl. Kicking and back up qbing is too important. If this ends up being our big off season get then Im gonna be a bit worried. But I am confident in our scouting. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Darian Durant that isn't the guy who left the Riders is still better than the 2 players we had hit the field last season behind Nichols so I'm good with it. 

Thats the truth. You can argue him or glenn for better back up. But aside from glenn idk the last time our QBing was soo strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×