CJOB Bombers Show Monday Jan 22

Noeller

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Buff knows a guy, who knows a guy...

I know exactly what you're talking about actually.... Are you with the folks who are tight with Todd L? I know he's friends with some colony peeps who help him out a bunch... 

20 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Lol, that news anchor, Kevin Evans tried to pull a fast one on me when he interviewed me in about 1978-79.  I could remember his face but I couldn't remember his name.  Thanks for posting that!

I remember that commercial.  I don't recall whether I liked it or not. It was awful though but that was the whole point of it. Anyway, I know Abalon advertises on CJOB & when I heard "foundation repair" I had to post this. Small business owners do strange things especially when that  small business is struggling. Even in 1985, just $50,000 in sales revenue wasn't very good as foundation repairs aren't cheap. I loved the fact the guy went to the job sites in his dress shoes & casual jacket. Think he ever got his hands dirty or gave advice to the guys doing the work? I'll bet  he never had one callous on his hands. But he was a cheesy singer. Whatever works, I guess. 

As far as Kevin Evans goes, I went to the 1986 Grey Cup in Vancouver. The night before we hit the bars downtown & I ran into him & Stan Kubichek. I had a couple of drinks & chatted with them both before we left & went somewhere else. Evans is like 5'4. Just a little guy. Is he even in the broadcast business anymore? I think he lives on the West Coast now. What about Stan? Anyone know?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 5 weeks later...

Just doubling back on this. Finally had a chance to listen to the whole thing this afternoon and again it was really well done. Some great comments from MOS, Lapo, Buck and DB97, I thought. Bob talking CFL with people is something I will always love listening to. You get so many CFL voices that legitimately believe they're celebrities (not just Rod P... There are a few...) and when Chandler Fenner tells Bob it's an honour to talk to him because he s a living legend, Bob is legit embarrassed and doesn't even wanna further that idea. We are so blessed to have Knucks, I'll tell you what...  

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Just doubling back on this. Finally had a chance to listen to the whole thing this afternoon and again it was really well done. Some great comments from MOS, Lapo, Buck and DB97, I thought. Bob talking CFL with people is something I will always love listening to. You get so many CFL voices that legitimately believe they're celebrities (not just Rod P... There are a few...) and when Chandler Fenner tells Bob it's an honour to talk to him because he s a living legend, Bob is legit embarrassed and doesn't even wanna further that idea. We are so blessed to have Knucks, I'll tell you what...  

Knuckles is every bit as humble as he is a legend. Which is part of what makes him soo great. 

Do you have a link by chance? 

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

That Fenner comment also shows me the kind of guy he is, what a great pickup both on and off the field.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:55 PM, Noeller said:

To help break up the mid-off season blues, CJOB has a special 2-hour Bombers show tonight hosted by Bob Irving. All lame "too many commercials!1!" stuff aside, it'll be nice to hear some Bombers talk again!

Join me for a blue bomber buffet Monday 7-9pm on cjob—oshea, walters, nichols, harris, durant, miller, d. Brown and ed tait on the menu.

just listen to the podcast, they upload all of them on apple podcasts.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, WBBFanWest said:

Lol, that news anchor, Kevin Evans tried to pull a fast one on me when he interviewed me in about 1978-79.  I could remember his face but I couldn't remember his name.  Thanks for posting that!

what did he do?  Put a mickey in your drink at Grapes Pier 7?

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

More likely totally distorted what you said turning your position upside down. Been there many years ago.  There is a reason journalists are ranked with politicians on popularity contests.  

11 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was about 18-19 at the time and was with the Forces Reserve at Minto Armoury.  We were having an open house and I was tasked with manning a table with some of our equipment laid out.  He came up and asked if he could interview me.  That was something new and I probably looked as nervous as I felt.  So he went over what he was going to ask and when I was ready, we started the interview.  Everything went fine until he started with "one last question".  Then he asked the real question.  "Is the Reserves just a Boy Scouts for old men?"  Not too cool to put a 18-19 year old newly promoted corporal on the spot like that.  Would have been fine if it hadn't been a try at a "gotcha" question.

10 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I was about 18-19 at the time and was with the Forces Reserve at Minto Armoury.  We were having an open house and I was tasked with manning a table with some of our equipment laid out.  He came up and asked if he could interview me.  That was something new and I probably looked as nervous as I felt.  So he went over what he was going to ask and when I was ready, we started the interview.  Everything went fine until he started with "one last question".  Then he asked the real question.  "Is the Reserves just a Boy Scouts for old men?"  Not too cool to put a 18-19 year old newly promoted corporal on the spot like that.  Would have been fine if it hadn't been a try at a "gotcha" question.

What a doink.  CBC, what can you do.  Shrugs....