Free Agency Week - News Central

BigBlue

We've had some fine discussions over several threads about free agency.  I have enjoyed flipping back and forth between the various discussions. But in the next few days the news and rumours are going to be coming fast and furious, particularly on Monday night and Tuesday. 

What I don't want to have to do is to keep searching several threads to make sure I don't miss any of this juicy stuff. So I thought it would be cool if we could have a central place to keep up to the latest.  I'm not saying this thread would be the only place to post and I'm not saying that some news might deserve a whole thread for itself. 

I'm just saying it would be nice to post the latest tidbits, speculations and announcements over the next 3   days to a week in this one spot - - so none of us miss anything because we are not looking in the right thread. 

So do you want to try this spot as the central posting place for this week?

Meanwhile as we are waiting for announcements tomorrow and beyond, I have a question. With sports salaries being so widely published everywhere else, why is it that we keep CFL salaries so closely guarded?

Ran into Chad Rempel at the outlet mall today. First thing i said tongue in cheek was "Grey Cup this year?" and he chuckled and said that was the plan, then without prompting he mentioned how huge the Bowman signing was. He seemed pumped. Then i mentioned how i was hoping we would sign Demski in free agency . His response was "i think we are going after him". Take that for what its worth.

26 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Salaries aren't announced normally because who cares. Do you announce how much you make to the world? 

The NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA all announce their players' salaries.

And as with most other professions, salaries/wages are typically made available on request.

Really, why can't the CFL make their players' salaries public?

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And as with most other professions, salaries/wages are typically made available on request.

Do you know the difference in $$$ between the CFL and those other leagues? That's why it's not announced. Nor does it need to be. 

interesting that Jones in Riderland has come out and said that they are right at the cap now....and free agency hasn't even started.

Plus they have 2 starters on their o-line unsigned...not Canadian depth on defence..especially on the d-line...and some other key pieces to their team that would hurt them to lose....so not sure how or if they can sign any big names..let alone some of their own guys from last year...there gonna have to be some purging there...or a very weak depth issue there and marginal Canadians...will be interesting for sure

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Technically those leagues don't announce salaries.  Here is the NHL free agent tracker from last year, only shows players and terms.   https://www.nhl.com/news/free-agency-signings-2017/c-281090126

The salaries all come out onto 3rd party sites.   https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/free-agency .  Or look at sites like capfriendly.com that actually document salaries.  Not created or shown by the league.

One of the reasons is the CFL just isn't big enough for these sites and reporters to get the contacts and dedicate the effort into tracking the salaries.

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

interesting that Jones in Riderland has come out and said that they are right at the cap now....and free agency hasn't even started.

Plus they have 2 starters on their o-line unsigned...not Canadian depth on defence..especially on the d-line...and some other key pieces to their team that would hurt them to lose....so not sure how or if they can sign any big names..let alone some of their own guys from last year...there gonna have to be some purging there...or a very weak depth issue there and marginal Canadians...will be interesting for sure

I find it hard to believe that Jones said that and if he did that he meant it or if he did mean it that it matters.  I just don't believe anything that Jones says.  

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

This statement is likely true, though he probably accounted for the draftees and some budgeted amounts for key fee agents.  It isn't unusual.  That is why there will be veteran cuts before and during training camp.  Has no bearing on whether they will go after free agents.

53 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Do you know the difference in $$$ between the CFL and those other leagues? That's why it's not announced. Nor does it need to be. 

Yes, I'm well aware of the difference between salaries. The CFL is still a salary cap league, so I'd consider myself someone interested in teams' management of their salaries, the same as I am with the NHL and the NFL. Just because the CFL isn't as lucrative as other professional leagues in North America shouldn't be a factor, IMO.

From a resources standpoint, however, I can understand the lack of information.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:32 PM, do or die said:

We should have a thread about things that people feel we need a thread about.    It could touch it with a needle or have us in stitches.....

I like the idea, but think we need to have a thread to discuss doing it in first. A pre thread. Then maybe draft people to be involved and have a thread for that. then a thread to pick up any one who wasnt drafted.  Then we can make a practice/training  thread....

The off season is dark and full of terrors. 

Fearless fa predictions:

- Westerman will get a ridiculous offer and sign with the Als

- Bond & Konar both go to BC

- Demski and Evan Gill both come home to Winnipeg

- In addtion to Gill, we also sign Mrabure to cover the Canadian spots lost in Westerman & Thomas

- Heath ends up back in Toronto

-Messam goes to Hamilton

- Larry Dean bidding goes too high and we pass on a fa mlb altogether, opting to go with Wild/JSK and scouting

- Laurent goes back to Hamilton despite a huge offer from Montreal

- Evans goes back to Sask

- We'll use the mlb money to sign one of the top dbs available

- we sign a 2nd tier Canadian OL for depth