Free Agency Week - News Central

BigBlue

As much as I'd like to see us sign a proven commodity at middle linebacker, I often try to remind myself that we as a fanbase frequently complain that we don't find enough of our own recruited talent. If you ask me, I like the prospect of us going into this year without a "proven" name there more than I did last year, as at least we actually have a guy who got on the field and did very well for himself, albeit at a different spot.

Jovan Santos-Knox in the middle to start the year wouldn't worry me in the least ... he's a hyper-athletic linebacker with the ability to go sideline to sideline and while he might not be a smashmouth football player in the mold of an Elimimian or a Larry Dean, he's going to make plays. I want him on the field either way, whether he goes WIL if we sign Henoc or if he plays the middle flanked by Wild and Leggett/Fenner.

If he gets beat out by Jevaris Jones or Kyrie Wilson then hey, even better. I just feel better about that whole situation knowing it's not going to be based on the hopes that a player (Kyle Knox) that hadn't been on the field before can make an immediate impact.

If I had my way, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a front seven of Roh/Nevis/Poop/Jeffcoat/JSK/Henoc/Leggett, but if it goes TO/Nevis/Poop/Jeffcoat/Wild/JSK/Leggett, then I'm not worried either. I just prefer the flexibility of having Henoc on D, as it would enable us to use Flanders on offense.

As it shapes up right now though, our lineup looks pretty damn good. Excited to see how we tinker with it and to see who we add from camps and the draft. I don't see a lot of obvious holes, which means guys cracking our lineup will be beating out proven commodities, not just filling roles as the best of the worst like Carmichael did last year.

Three legs....

1.  Draft/FA
2.  Recruitment
3.  Development

As in icebergs......1 and 2 are the most viable.    Number 3 is the internal improvement component.  Bombers have some young guys, who need reps and coaching up.   Guys who are not "name players"yet -  can always become some.  Will be watching Demski, Santos-Knox, Walker,  Alexander, et al.   Gut feeling is that current management will show to be more adept, in this area......than in the past.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

As much as I'd like to see us sign a proven commodity at middle linebacker, I often try to remind myself that we as a fanbase frequently complain that we don't find enough of our own recruited talent. If you ask me, I like the prospect of us going into this year without a "proven" name there more than I did last year, as at least we actually have a guy who got on the field and did very well for himself, albeit at a different spot.

Jovan Santos-Knox in the middle to start the year wouldn't worry me in the least ... he's a hyper-athletic linebacker with the ability to go sideline to sideline and while he might not be a smashmouth football player in the mold of an Elimimian or a Larry Dean, he's going to make plays. I want him on the field either way, whether he goes WIL if we sign Henoc or if he plays the middle flanked by Wild and Leggett/Fenner.

If he gets beat out by Jevaris Jones or Kyrie Wilson then hey, even better. I just feel better about that whole situation knowing it's not going to be based on the hopes that a player (Kyle Knox) that hadn't been on the field before can make an immediate impact.

If I had my way, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a front seven of Roh/Nevis/Poop/Jeffcoat/JSK/Henoc/Leggett, but if it goes TO/Nevis/Poop/Jeffcoat/Wild/JSK/Leggett, then I'm not worried either. I just prefer the flexibility of having Henoc on D, as it would enable us to use Flanders on offense.

As it shapes up right now though, our lineup looks pretty damn good. Excited to see how we tinker with it and to see who we add from camps and the draft. I don't see a lot of obvious holes, which means guys cracking our lineup will be beating out proven commodities, not just filling roles as the best of the worst like Carmichael did last year.

I am OK with them going with a recruit at MLB, but I still want them to sign Muamba just to hear the funny noises that the gappers will make. Plus if Muamba holds a grudge against Jones for the shabby treatment it can only be a good thing playing against them right? 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I am OK with them going with a recruit at MLB, but I still want them to sign Muamba just to hear the funny noises that the gappers will make. Plus if Muamba holds a grudge against Jones for the shabby treatment it can only be a good thing playing against them right? 

muamba woods or taylor reed would be a huge upgrade. Ideally we sign one of them to an incentive laden deal, then bring in some prospects to push said MLBer hard. But if we got any one of the three id be over the moon. After that IDK how much better our off season could get. 

23 hours ago, Mike said:

Sure looking like its Wild-JSK-Fenner...

Taylor Reed sucks and he’s definitely not worth 6 figures.  I’d take JSK over him.  If JSK starts 18 games he gets 100 tackles and 5-6 sacks, 2-3 picks a bunch of forced fumbles and recoveries, from either the middle or WIL.  He’s all over the field.

The only CFL vet MLB left worth paying for is Muamba and that’s mostly for ratio purposes, because he was pretty bad for most of last season.  Whoever signs him is hoping he works his ass off to drop about 25 pounds and regain his previous speed.

There's a good list of remaining free agents at 3down nation.

some well known  Canadian D lineman there. 

I wonder if Bear Woods is about ready to call it quits. 

How many concussions has he had? a couple?

maybe he's thinking it's not worth continuing to play, or at least not for less than a lot of money.

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/18/complete-look-remaining-cfl-free-agents/

Edited by Mark F

On 2/16/2018 at 9:53 AM, Mike said:

No doubt that JSK has the athleticism, but I think that the experience of playing middle linebacker is hard won and should not be discounted. That is the argument for picking up an veteran MLB like Reed or Woods who have played a few years in the CFL and can call the proper defensive sets. Reed is a prototypical MLB and hits a ton. If the Bombers can sign him, that would be great. He is still in his prime.

24 minutes ago, tracker said:

No doubt that JSK has the athleticism, but I think that the experience of playing middle linebacker is hard won and should not be discounted. That is the argument for picking up an veteran MLB like Reed or Woods who have played a few years in the CFL and can call the proper defensive sets. Reed is a prototypical MLB and hits a ton. If the Bombers can sign him, that would be great. He is still in his prime.

Of course experience is good.  JSK has experience as a MLB.  He's done well in what we have seen of him and no matter what he's a definite upgrade over Hurl.  What makes you think that Reed would automatically be a better choice, other than he's had more CFL experience.  I'd argue he's had less Bomber experience than JSK, so that being the case, I really can't say that Reed would be an upgrade.  

I also look at the fact that he's still not been picked up.  That might mean that his "ask" is too high or that maybe there's something else that's worrying.

4 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Of course experience is good.  JSK has experience as a MLB.  He's done well in what we have seen of him and no matter what he's a definite upgrade over Hurl.  What makes you think that Reed would automatically be a better choice, other than he's had more CFL experience.  I'd argue he's had less Bomber experience than JSK, so that being the case, I really can't say that Reed would be an upgrade.  

I also look at the fact that he's still not been picked up.  That might mean that his "ask" is too high or that maybe there's something else that's worrying.

Its not that Reed has had CFL experience as an MLB, as important as that is- its also that he has been a good solid player whereas JSK has yet to make his bones. JSK may well be as good or better, but his resume in the CFL is a lot thinner.

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/19/details-on-riders-and-zach-collaros-restructured-contract/

430k with no incentives, my god thats crazy.

"Collaros has lost 12 straight starts dating back to 2016, one short of the CFL record. He completed 62.7 per cent of his passes for 1,743 yards with eight touchdowns (lowest among the league’s starters at the time) and seven interceptions in 2017, but the Ticats did give up 21 sacks and 77 pressures."

If i was a rider fan i would not be happy with the qb situation. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/19/details-on-riders-and-zach-collaros-restructured-contract/

430k with no incentives, my god that's crazy.

"Collaros has lost 12 straight starts dating back to 2016, one short of the CFL record. He completed 62.7 per cent of his passes for 1,743 yards with eight touchdowns (lowest among the league’s starters at the time) and seven interceptions in 2017, but the Ticats did give up 21 sacks and 77 pressures."

If i was a rider fan i would not be happy with the qb situation. 

The fact that you can post a coherent statement automatically disqualifies you from posing as a Rider fan.