East Coast Expansion ?

Zontar

Rumour has it the long suffering idea of  team in the Maritimes might be coming true.

Symbolically important for the league, even divisions, more jobs for canadians but....

Its one more team taking out a piece of the revenue pie. Yes tv ad rates and rights ownership will increase but is Atlantic Canada THAT lucrative ?

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie was in Halifax, Nova Scotia on Friday, with all kinds of curiosity across the league about when the CFL might be prepared to announce Halifax as its 10th franchise. Dave Naylor has the latest and explains what the Halifax group has to get done to get the ball rolling.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/naylor-ambrosie-in-halifax-with-potential-ownership-group-members-a-positive-sign~1325194

Not a lot of young fans at the fan fest with Ambrosie.  It was mostly fans in their 40's & up. I'm sure most Millennials are Pats fans.  That Maritime market may be a lot tougher to crack than people think.  Boston  & New York aren't that far away.  NFL loyalties are set after years of following teams south of the border.  I'm sure a lot of potential fans are thinking the CFL ignored them for over half a century so why should they be excited to support a CFL team in Halifax now? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not a lot of young fans at the fan fest with Ambrosie.  It was mostly fans in their 40's & up. I'm sure most Millennials are Pats fans.  That Maritime market may be a lot tougher to crack than people think.  Boston  & New York aren't that far away.  NFL loyalties are set after years of following teams south of the border.  I'm sure a lot of potential fans are thinking the CFL ignored them for over half a century so why should they be excited to support a CFL team in Halifax now? 

Have you been watching the CFL demographics? I think it's mostly 40's and up now.

You can't just show up one day and expect the youth to come out. Set up a team and draw them in, like Ottawa. 

What did the crowd in Calgary look like?

How about Winnipeg? 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Have you been watching the CFL demographics? I think it's mostly 40's and up now.

You can't just show up one day and expect the youth to come out. Set up a team and draw them in, like Ottawa. 

What did the crowd in Calgary look like?

How about Winnipeg? 

There's history in Wpg & Calgary. In Halifax there's none.  Haligonians  & people from the Maritimes go to Boston hence the support for the Pats. My wife's friends used to live in Bridgewater, NS.  Huge Pats fans. Don't knw if they'd support a CFL team because we never, ever discussed it. Love to see the CFL succeed but is there a groundswell of support for a team?

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There's history in Wpg & Calgary. In Halifax there's none.  Haligonians  & people from the Maritimes go to Boston hence the support for the Pats. My wife's friends used to live in Bridgewater, NS.  Huge Pats fans. Don't knw if they'd support a CFL team because we never, ever discussed it. Love to see the CFL succeed but is there a groundswell of support for a team?

I'm hearing of this new fangled thing called market research.  I understand its something that, believe it or not, is more effective than idle speculation on websites and can actually show the market potential for a product or service.  We can only hope that the CFL is aware of this amazing tool.

8 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'm hearing of this new fangled thing called market research.  I understand its something that, believe it or not, is more effective than idle speculation on websites and can actually show the market potential for a product or service.  We can only hope that the CFL is aware of this amazing tool.

Funny how "market research" works so well in Toronto. We can only hope that the CFL is aware of this amazing tool. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Funny how "market research" works so well in Toronto. We can only hope that the CFL is aware of this amazing tool. 

I'll have you know that I have it on good authority that the Argo have tens of thousands, nay, hundreds of thousands of fans.  In fact that have so many fans that they jam up all the entrances to BMO field because the teaming throngs are all trying to get in and the same time and as a result, there are just a few hundred that make it through the doors before the log jam occurs.  Here's a snapshot outside just one of the gates:

image.jpg

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

n = 1

Tell me more about about your friend, who represent the entire East Coast market.