CFL Combine

Floyd

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Not sure about a retreat.  I stand by what I said.  If you think he's a "star" after 7 games with  313 yards, I'm going to say that that reason you're saying it has more to do with the jersey he wears, or more to the point, the jersey he doesn't wear.   And you are right, the schtick is old.  But, it's not going to  changes, so,  let's move on...

Yeah insinuating I’m a stamps fans...  weak.

huff picks bpa - it’s a good strategy he gets some nice late picks...  doesn’t mean I don’t like Walters 

and when Demski gets 800 yards this year, I’ll absolutely call him a star

Now we’re done.

33 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Good article today on this draft and Walters, highlighting the receiving talent in this draft. I suspect if there is a run on OL, Walters goes WR or DB,  if the Dbs and WR go then OL.  I also suspect that no matter who we pick people will complain.

I'll guess that their will be a run on OL and we will choose an OL with our first pick too. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Spooner is still a bit of a wild card so I would be down with this...  maybe end up with Dumouchel

Seriously doubt he's playing in a CFL game anytime soon.  Project to my eyes.  Got dominated by a pretty lousy group of DL at the combine.   I think the Bombers will have a few chances to pick him.

47 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I would think HAM will make trade with MTL for the 1st overall. HAM  has several picks on the 1st 3 rounds while MTL is trying to load NAT players.

There`s a pretty big drop from a handful of players, talking guys who are going to be in the CFL, not NFL, and the next tier.  I think Montreal takes Chapman.  And then Hamilton has the board after that.  Why trade up?  Why trade down if you're Montreal?  You need an elite player not 3 2nd rounders.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Do teams primarily pick the best player available as I have heard so many times?

I think if it's an exceptional talent, yes, otherwise pick for need. I can't see the Bombers picking a Safety over an Olineman if they're close (but the Safety is more talented) for example. 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

Do teams primarily pick the best player available as I have heard so many times?

in the cfl I dont think so. I think a lot of teams weigh BPA with needs and positions of depth. Though its possible no team is ever close to the same page over all, I think after the top tier of talent it gets wide open. So the difference between BPA and a player a team likes better or fills the roster better is a big factor. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Need is one thing depth is another. 

Ummm....???  How?

Harris/LaFrance... means we have depth and don't need an RB...

While I'm not a fan of Neufeld at LG... you could argue that Bombers are really only drafting for depth right now and can take BPA...  assuming (like I do) Couture is ready to step in...

Given we used our 3rd rounder for Wolitarsky and signed Demski - I'd be looking at OL, LB and DE with that first pick - there's not much depth in LB/DE/DB this year - I think there'll be a very very good OL available

1st - Shepley, Bennett, Korte, Sceviour, Banner - these are my top five...  not much research to back that list up though ha

Bennett first round then Dumouchel in second... that would be pretty sweet

realistically O-line picks and Canadian stockpiling of such is generally the way to go, but this year we can..and should be going best player possible with all our picks...and don't really see a guy who is going to be an NFL flyer this year...so if all goes well our top 3 should be all in some regard on the roster or hanging out on the practice roster this year.

We have 2 young...and damn good O-lineman in Chungh and Goosen and I would think will be more than willing and want to extend. Couture has developed and can start now if need be...but at moment is going to be our first guy up if injury occurs, we have Spooner developing and if you ask me is going to be better than Goosen and Chungh when all said and done and most likely in next 1-3 years we will have Gray here...so an early pick on an o-lineman when talented other players are still there is not smart drafting.

If I was drafting I would target whoever is there between Bennet and laurent with first pick...and most likely Chapman would be gone with pick 2...so whoever is left between Simonese and Cibaso  grab them as one...if not both will still be there..if surprisingly both gone by then, I would pick up Banner/Onyeka if still there...after that I would sift through the rubble and see who is left as back-up/role guys to our existing backup/role guys