CFL Combine

Floyd

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If Simonise actually fell out of the top 5 picks I hope it’s the Bombers who are the team smart enough to give him a shot. The guy has it all and is a player too.  He’s done with the NFL until he does something up here so it’s a perfect scenario to grab a guy with that talent IMO.

Simonise, the man of 1000 drafts

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If Simonise actually fell out of the top 5 picks I hope it’s the Bombers who are the team smart enough to give him a shot. The guy has it all and is a player too.  He’s done with the NFL until he does something up here so it’s a perfect scenario to grab a guy with that talent IMO.

He seems like the kind of up side pick we'd make too. Assuming his head is on straight. 

18 hours ago, Floyd said:

Just signed Demski and lafrance and trades a pick for wolitarsky... I’ll take Best OL available please... unless there’s a standout LB

I suspect the LaFrance signing was not exactly planned for and may have come more from the urging of Andrew Harris than need.  What his signing does is make Flanders ultimately expendable, cutting his modest salary plus Wild's, who is close to being redundant backing JSK might be two moves they could make to afford Muamba, instead of dropping a key contributor like Okpalaugo.  Agreed that these may not be "classy"or popular moves but football is a ruthless business and sentimentality has no place in the heart of a good G.M.

22 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I suspect the LaFrance signing was not exactly planned for and may have come more from the urging of Andrew Harris than need.  What his signing does is make Flanders ultimately expendable, cutting his modest salary plus Wild's, who is close to being redundant backing JSK might be two moves they could make to afford Muamba, instead of dropping a key contributor like Okpalaugo.  Agreed that these may not be "classy"or popular moves but football is a ruthless business and sentimentality has no place in the heart of a good G.M.

Lafrance basically replaces Normand on the roster and allows them to use more packages involving guys like Flanders.

You don't really save a whole lot of cap space by cutting a running back to sign a linebacker because you still have to replace the running back on the roster.  Say you cut Flanders and replace him with a rookie receiver or running back on the 44 man roster, you maybe save $20,000.

21 hours ago, Mike said:

Simonise is a guy I'd like to see us get - but he's probably a two year guy here and that's it. If he shows absolutely anything at all in the CFL, he's going to the NFL. I'd take it though, our championship window is open.

To me with the way free agency is (no restricted free agency) every draft pick is 2-3 years with their original team at best whether they are hitting CFL free agency or heading south.  The draft is getting less and less important as free agency becomes crazier.

48 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

To me with the way free agency is (no restricted free agency) every draft pick is 2-3 years with their original team at best whether they are hitting CFL free agency or heading south.  The draft is getting less and less important as free agency becomes crazier.

It does seem like OL are sticking with their team longer and getting playing time earlier than other positions... 

Yeah not understanding the notion Lafrance is going to make Flanders expendable.....that just makes zero sense. 

He effectively is taking Normands roster spot..and did Normand make Flanders expendable??

It will just be more a case no w that when Lafrance comes in it won't be as a jumbo package or as a tight end like Normand was used and he will see touches or at the least take a defender away from one of the other playmakers...as well as spell Andrew off the odd snap as to not mess with ratio

Edited by Booch

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah not understanding the notion Lafrance is going to make Flanders expendable...texpendable...that just makes zero sense. 

He effectively is taking Normands roster spot..and did Normand make Flanders expendable??

It will just be more a case no w that when Lafrance comes in it won't be as a jumbo package or as a tight end like Normand was used and he will see touches or at the least take a defender away from one of the other playmakers...as well as spell Andrew off the odd snap as to not mess with ratio

point taken, I intended to say that the additions of Demski and LaFrance make Flanders  extremely expendable, especially if they plan to field two Natl. receivers.  As good as he is, there is no logical which-way to get Flanders on the field.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

8 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

point taken, I intended to say that the additions of Demski and LaFrance make Flanders  extremely expendable, especially if they plan to field two Natl. receivers.  As good as he is, there is not enough logical which-way to get Flanders on the field.

Either way, one of Dressler or Flanders will be used a lot less...  which makes cutting one of them a higher probablity given their $$ 

On 3/18/2018 at 12:03 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lafrance basically replaces Normand on the roster and allows them to use more packages involving guys like Flanders.

You don't really save a whole lot of cap space by cutting a running back to sign a linebacker because you still have to replace the running back on the roster.  Say you cut Flanders and replace him with a rookie receiver or running back on the 44 man roster, you maybe save $20,000.

It isnt about cap space, its about usage and roster space. Lafrance can do all the package stuff we did with flanders, while freeing up a valuable DI spot. 

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

Either way, one of Dressler or Flanders will be used a lot less...  which makes cutting one of them a higher probablity given their $$ 

I dont see the connection between flanders and dressler. One is our back up rb the other is maybe our best wr and a big leader on offense the last few years. In the clutch he is the guy you are best off throwing the ball to. 

No way flanders makes near dressler money. His spot is gonna be a real battle though. imo itll take a lot to over come the pass port of lafrance. 

Guys who could be cap casualties imo, Fogg (returners pop up every year, he has to find consistency and make it as a db or become an elite returner) Wild (love the guy, when healthy and on hes great. But thats all too rare) Ogogpogo (3 des, similar production hes much more expensive) Newf (the young cheaper Nis are at his heels, coulture could fill his spot with ease imo)  Two crazy out side shots at being cap cuts are medlock, faith and bowman. Kicker is the most what have you done for me lately position, in a sport that is quick to turn on you. If medlock starts out poor and FMB has a good camp medlock could be gone in the blink of an eye. its kind of his MO as well. Bowman, obviously coming off his worst year. We have some good looking young prospects his position is in pencil not pen. Faith ekakitie is pretty crazy, but the bombers gave him huge money for a drafted rookie. And the leash for high picks like him isnt terribly long. Sure they get run around half the league, but plenty of first round picks, and high picks that dont work out are gone quick. 

Edited by wbbfan

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It isnt about cap space, its about usage and roster space. Lafrance can do all the package stuff we did with flanders, while freeing up a valuable DI spot. 

I dont see the connection between flanders and dressler. One is our back up rb the other is maybe our best wr and a big leader on offense the last few years. In the clutch he is the guy you are best off throwing the ball to. 

No way flanders makes near dressler money. His spot is gonna be a real battle though. imo itll take a lot to over come the pass port of lafrance. 

Bowman is now our 'go to' guy...  Dressler is pretty banged up up - maybe you can DI Flanders/Dressler...  but if you're going heavy import on D then probably want to save it for that side

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The context was cutting a guy like Flanders to make cap space for Muamba.

I disagree on Lafrance.  Demski maybe could play Flanders role.  Lafrance is nowhere near as dynamic.  Honestly have no idea of how he'd play the receiver side of that role.  I've watched him play and coached against him since he was 14 and have never seen him run routes as a receiver.  Lafrance really gives the Bombers a backup for Harris that won't completely throw the gameplan out the window and a guy who is still a really solid special teamer.

Little known fact... Last years CFL combine people in Sask were confused about what a Combine is so technically this is the first year CFL week has had a legit combine. Anyone see the pics of the guys last year running around tractors? Google it. 

Edited by Goalie

14 hours ago, Goalie said:

Little known fact... Last years CFL combine people in Sask were confused about what a Combine is so technically this is the first year CFL week has had a legit combine. Anyone see the pics of the guys last year running around tractors? Google it. 

They were mostly confused why someone would want a combine in the spring, before the snow even melted. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Aren't dem fields still too wet? 

Heck, the honey wagon can't even empty the toilet yet, as it's still frozen over. 

Oh yes the honey wagon where name and function are very different.  I remember being excited to see the honey wagon visiting the farm but less so when I did see it.