Bombers Post $5.1M Operating Profit in 2017

Rich

Non-football events also played a role.

That Guns N Roses concert was packed! lol  And I might have to go to Regina to see the Eagles.

So if they made a 3 million dollar payment to the mortgage, they have around $2 million left over.  Hopefully they are building up a nice rainy day fund.

What stands out to me is the increase in sponsorship which speaks volumes to the appeal of the Bombers and the efforts of their sales team and management.  There was a fear the Jets would suck up all the corporate dollars and its great that that is not true.

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That Guns N Roses concert was packed! lol  And I might have to go to Regina to see the Eagles.

So if they made a 3 million dollar payment to the mortgage, they have around $2 million left over.  Hopefully they are building up a nice rainy day fund.

What stands out to me is the increase in sponsorship which speaks volumes to the appeal of the Bombers and the efforts of their sales team and management.  There was a fear the Jets would suck up all the corporate dollars and its great that that is not true.

They also paid  $1.3M to the City for an old Winnipeg Enterprises debt that was assigned to the organization in 2005 and scheduled to be paid in 2017.     Still in the black, and can still add to the rainy day fund, but not as much as it initially looks.

I know its not a popular opinion, but I'd be fine if the Province just paid off the mortgage and gave the Bombers a pass.  They'd be a very wealthy team if that was the case.  I suppose it doesnt matter since they dont have to be profitable as long as they're breaking even, paying their bills and are a solid organization.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I have been to Regina many times so if you have to go there my advice to you is: when you get to the outskirts, close your eyes and plug your nose. Resume normal position after you leave. Yes, I know it makes enjoying the concert difficult, but it is better for your long term mental state!

52 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

I have been to Regina many times so if you have to go there my advice to you is: when you get to the outskirts, close your eyes and plug your nose. Resume normal position after you leave. Yes, I know it makes enjoying the concert difficult, but it is better for your long term mental state!

And whatever you do, don't tell them that Glenn Frey died.  The flatbillies are just discovering the joys of Hotel California right now.

Edited by WBBFanWest

On 4/20/2018 at 10:31 AM, blueingreenland said:

definitely plug your nose.  That's a smell that will haunt your nightmares.

http://winnipegsun.com/opinion/columnists/blue-bombers-post-profit-but-stadium-will-never-be-repaid

I disagree with this guy's assessment that this was a bad deal.  The BC Lions got a $500 million upgrade to their facility and didn't have to pay a dime.  The fact that the Bombers are paying anything back is a win for taxpayers in my view, even if it was the NDP who did this deal.  One of the few deals I've seen them do that actually made some sense.  But the Manitoba NDP aren't really comparable to the disastrous NDP gang we have out here in BC.

Just now, Jpan85 said:

Is the city paying for for the Jets street parties?

They haven't come to a conclusion yet on who pays for everything.  They were going to sit down after round 1 to figure that out.   True North making some good cash with beer sales.  Street vendors as I understand it are making the money on their own.  

58 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The Bombers are at least paying off some of the $ as KBF stated. Does Broadbeck also ***** about the VLT deal True North got? How about the tax breaks they've gotten and will continue to get, you know for the team owned by the wealthiest man in Canada.

Broadbeck ******* about everything.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

http://winnipegsun.com/opinion/columnists/blue-bombers-post-profit-but-stadium-will-never-be-repaid

I disagree with this guy's assessment that this was a bad deal.  The BC Lions got a $500 million upgrade to their facility and didn't have to pay a dime.  The fact that the Bombers are paying anything back is a win for taxpayers in my view, even if it was the NDP who did this deal.  One of the few deals I've seen them do that actually made some sense.  But the Manitoba NDP aren't really comparable to the disastrous NDP gang we have out here in BC.

Send a pipeline to Churchill.  

23 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The Bombers won't be able to continue to meet their financial obligations in the future. They way this deal is structured is absurd. Not the Bombers fault, that's for sure. 

On 4/20/2018 at 9:30 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

I know its not a popular opinion, but I'd be fine if the Province just paid off the mortgage and gave the Bombers a pass.  They'd be a very wealthy team if that was the case.  I suppose it doesnt matter since they dont have to be profitable as long as they're breaking even, paying their bills and are a solid organization.

I know its not a popular opinion, but I'd be fine if the Province just paid off my mortgage and gave me a pass. I'd be a very wealthy citizen if that was the case, I suppose it doesn't matter since I don't have to be profitable, as long as I'm breaking even, paying my bills and being a solid citizen.

2 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I know its not a popular opinion, but I'd be fine if the Province just paid off my mortgage and gave me a pass. I'd be a very wealthy citizen if that was the case, I suppose it doesn't matter since I don't have to be profitable, as long as I'm breaking even, paying my bills and being a solid citizen.

Fact is, they've already lost a lot of money and are going to continue to lose a lot of money on the stadium. They might want to cut their losses and find a buyer at a deep discount. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Fact is, they've already lost a lot of money and are going to continue to lose a lot of money on the stadium. They might want to cut their losses and find a buyer at a deep discount. 

Nah. Keep it publicly owned but write it off so the bombers aren’t saddled with it. 

Any plan to sell it would mean selling the team and even then no one is taking the standout debt or paying much for it.