Who the heck is Ted Goveia?

Assistant General Manager, Director of Player Personnel

Ted Goveia joined the Blue Bombers in December of 2013 as the team’s Assistant General Manager, Director of Player Personnel. Previously, Goveia held down the role of Director, Player Personnel with the Toronto Argonauts, working free agent camps and scouting in both the United States and Canada, as well as coordinating the CFL Canadian Draft. Prior to that, Goveia had been responsible for recruitment strategies in both Canada and the U.S. for the Argos, scouting various NFL pre-season camps. He first joined the Argos in 2010 as an assistant coach and prior to that spent 15 years in various coaching and recruitment capacities throughout the CIS and Canadian Junior Football ranks.

Ted Goveia has a long resume full of Canadian coaching and football recruitment experience. He’s held positions at the University of British Columbia, McMaster University, Mount Allison University and he spent 2010 coaching the Toronto Argonauts’ running backs. He’s also held fulltime coaching positions in the CJFL, at the high school level and gained extensive experience as a guest coach in the CFL. All told, Goveia has been part of every level of football in Canada.

Goveia joined the UBC Thunderbirds as the Offensive Coordinator in 2004. In 2006, he was promoted to Head Coach and G.M and was responsible for developing a number of CFL prospects who went on to be drafted and play for a variety of teams in the league.

Goveia wore many different hats during his time at McMaster University from 2001-04. He coached the receivers, running backs and special teams while also serving as the team’s Recruitment Coordinator. In his role he was responsible for all aspects of recruitment which resulted in some of the largest and most successful recruitment classes in the history of the program. He helped the Marauders to three straight Yates Cup finals.

Goveia held the position of Recruitment Coordinator at his alma mater, Mt. Allison University, from 1994-98. In addition to his position, he served as Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line Coach and Defensive Line Coach. At Mount A he eventually took charge of all administrative aspects of the football program while helping the Mounties set new CIS team and individual records. Goveia helped Mount A to the AUS finals in 1996 & 1997, winning the championship in ‘97. He ensured players were excelling in the classroom and his athletes attained a 92% graduation rate.

A former offensive lineman from 1991-93 for the Mt. Allison Mounties, Goveia has held coaching positions in the CJFL with the Burlington Braves and Oakville Longhorns. In Burlington, he was head coach and led the club to three provincial finals. He also coached at Assumption High School in Burlington where he once attended and played football. Goveia was a guest coach at Toronto Argonauts training camp each year from 2001-08.

wow - sounds like a pretty impressive resume.  I have never heard his name mentioned anywhere before, not on here by the resident pundits, or the media.  I guess this is why they didn't talk to Higgins.  Call me impressed with this hire.  With McManus and Goveia it sounds like the Bombers mean business.

This is nice to see, assuming they are adding both Danny Mac and this guy.  I can't say if either hire will work out but I love they brought in two guys.

I could never understand how Walters replaced Hodgkinson and assumed all the scouting and draft responsibilities Ross didn't have.  Who was performing all those logistical jobs Ross used to do?  

It was clear we needed more bodies.

This bit from the Argos website in April 2013:

Toronto Argonauts General Manager, Jim Barker announced today that Ted Goveia has been named the team’s Director, Player Personnel. Goveia has spent the past two seasons as the club’s Director, Canadian Scouting.

Since 2011, Goveia has been responsible for recruitment strategies in both Canada and the U.S., scouting various NFL pre-season camps as well as coordinating the CFL Canadian Draft for the Argonauts. He first joined the Argos in 2010 as an assistant coach and prior to that spent 15 years in various coaching and recruitment capacities throughout the CIS and Canadian Junior Football ranks. With this announcement, Goveia becomes one of just two Canadian Player Personnel Directors in the CFL (Craig Smith, Saskatchewan).

Barker remarked, “Ted has worked very hard to get this promotion. He started as a Canadian scout, and as a former CIS and junior head coach he was well suited for this role. Over the last three years, he has expanded his contacts and the scope of his work, and is now ready for this position.”

Commented Goveia, “I’m very excited to take on this role. Our scouting department has synergy and I’ve enjoyed working closely with Jim Barker and Chris Jones to continue to find and secure top quality talent for our coaches. We have something good going here in Toronto and I believe our team can only get better as we work hard to build a roster that competes for the Grey Cup year after year.”

This is a good hire IMO, and complements both McManus and Walters.

I wonder if some scouts will also be hired ?

Or are we just hiring asst. gm's ?

They essentially are the scouts.  They work their contacts and use scouting services/freelancers, target players for workouts and neg list.

We do need someone in football operations.

They essentially are the scouts.  They work their contacts and use scouting services/freelancers, target players for workouts and neg list.

I realize this and didn't expect any different considering Danny Mac and Goveia's experience and roles with other teams.

As of right now we have Walters, McManus and Goveia with the football ops (is Worman with the team ?), so I'm wondering if more hires will be made, specifically in the scouting department.

Most teams have around 7-8 people scouting at times, I'd like to see the Bombers in that range as well.

They essentially are the scouts. They work their contacts and use scouting services/freelancers, target players for workouts and neg list.

I realize this and didn't expect any different considering Danny Mac and Goveia's experience and roles with other teams.

As of right now we have Walters, McManus and Goveia with the football ops (is Worman with the team ?), so I'm wondering if more hires will be made, specifically in the scouting department.

Most teams have around 7-8 people scouting at times, I'd like to see the Bombers in that range as well.

Most teams? Do you mean Montreal?

Most teams have 3-4 (we now have 4) football ops guys on staff with a Rolodex of scouts who aren't officially employed by the team.

I like these moves - including Morris... I would like to see one more Asst GM of Football Ops

LOL - just add "assistant GM" to everyone's name.  "Assistant GM of cash register operation" for the girl at the Bomber store.  "Assistant GM of toilet scrubbing" for the janitor... :D

Or just Asst GM/Director of Football Ops like I stated in the post... just call it Director of Football Ops.  Whatever.

But, yes, that's a cute joke... very witty!