The TV Thread

Speaking of TV, started a few more shows recently.

The Good Fight - a spin off of The Good Wife which was a really well written/acted show.  The Good Fight is really more of the same and pretty good so far.  Its part of CBS's All Access streaming service and airs on W in Canada so its not restricted by Network rules.  ie. the run time is not constrained to one hour (with commercials) which I found out the hard way when my PVR stopped at the top of the hour and I missed the end AND, the characters swear repeatedly including several F Bombs.

Big Little Lies - tremendous cast but the premiere on HBO was really boring.  I havent watched Episode 2 yet but Im hoping it gets better.  Slickly made and well acted but I need to care about the characters.  Also they are using a framing narrative technique that is a bit annoying, similar to season one of True Detective and The Affair but not nearly as interesting as either of those.

Crashing - new 30 minute comedy on HBO and its hilarious.  Produced by Judd Apatow and developed by (and starring) Pete Holmes, its really funny.  Holmes plays a version of himself as does Arty Lange and others.  Lauren Lapkus is recurring and she'd pretty cool too.  Sarah Silverman is going to be on it also.  Arty Lange in particular is tremendous.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Speaking of TV, started a few more shows recently.

The Good Fight - a spin off of The Good Wife which was a really well written/acted show.  The Good Fight is really more of the same and pretty good so far.  Its part of CBS's All Access streaming service and airs on W in Canada so its not restricted by Network rules.  ie. the run time is not constrained to one hour (with commercials) which I found out the hard way when my PVR stopped at the top of the hour and I missed the end AND, the characters swear repeatedly including several F Bombs.

I thought this was exclusive to CBSAA but its on the regular network too which makes me wonder if they would do same for ST:D

8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought this was exclusive to CBSAA but its on the regular network too which makes me wonder if they would do same for ST:D

Only the premiere aired on CBS (and Global in Canada).  Subsequent episodes are exclusive to CBSAA in the US and W in Canada.  And the content could not air on CBS Network without heavy editing.

Star Trek Discovery will get the same treatment, a premiere on CBS Network followed by the rest of the season on CBSAA.  Its to air on Space in Canada and I believe CTV is airing the premiere on the main network too.

On 3/1/2017 at 3:58 PM, Noeller said:

Moynihan is a beauty...hope he sticks around, but would be nice to see him get something bigger for his career.

yeah to be honest I would kind of miss him too, so that's how many cast members that Kenan Thompsons has outlasted?

you know it's funny, when I found out the premise of the Live action Archie series, I was kind of disappointed because it looked like the CW was going back to their old ways......back when most of the shows in their lineup were about rich snobby kids, or beautiful people dramas. Though they seemed to have turned it around in around 2011ish and since 2012 they had been airing superhero related shows. I haven't seen the series so I can't really judge it

http://tvline.com/2017/03/07/riverdale-renewed-season-2-the-cw/

Also in pilot news

http://tvline.com/2017/03/07/dallas-roberts-insatiable-pilot-cw-debby-ryan/

http://tvline.com/2017/03/07/cristela-alonzo-cast-the-gospel-of-kevin-abc-drama-pilot/

I'm going to give it a chance, because it'll be the same producers, and Parsons himself is going to be involved, as a "narrator" (think Saget in HIMYM) and an EP. I think he cares about the legacy of the character and wants to do it justice. Spinoffs rarely work, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm going to give it a chance, because it'll be the same producers, and Parsons himself is going to be involved, as a "narrator" (think Saget in HIMYM) and an EP. I think he cares about the legacy of the character and wants to do it justice. Spinoffs rarely work, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

You just want to see what 17to85 was like a a kid...

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Don't watch the show but should it not end this year? Ratings are sliding now? Also isn't the hottie making noise about leaving?

Far and away (by miles and miles) the biggest show on TV....rumours about Cuoco were false.....cast is so tight, they took pay cuts to give other ones a raise. Extension for 2 more years coming shortly, according to Variety and other sources...

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Far and away (by miles and miles) the biggest show on TV....rumours about Cuoco were false.....cast is so tight, they took pay cuts to give other ones a raise. Extension for 2 more years coming shortly, according to Variety and other sources...

Even if they do, those two seasons should be the last seasons, even my dad who is a faithful viewer of the show is getting kind of sick of the crap

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

wait a minute what about All those NCIS's (which was ironically a JAG spinoff) what about all those CSI's, what about Frasier, what about All those Chicago Civil Servant shows, what about Private Practice? what about the Originals, what about Melrose Place? what about the simpsons (yeah that is technically a spinoff) I could go on

Edited by iHeart

6 hours ago, iHeart said:

Even if they do, those two seasons should be the last seasons, even my dad who is a faithful viewer of the show is getting kind of sick of the crap

And yet this has been one of the funniest seasons in recent memory.