The TV Thread

I know I'm late to the game about talking about the Orville, but I actually enjoy it.  There is a bit of stupid humor in it that doesn't seem to fit at times, but it still has a sense of star trekiness about it.  I'm not a fan of the pot humor or the dumb gags.  If they pulled that stupidity out of the show I think it would be really good.  Otherwise for now it's filling my "sci fi" needs.  Maybe I'm just really thirsty for another sci fi show and I'm taking anything I can get.

23 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I know I'm late to the game about talking about the Orville, but I actually enjoy it.  There is a bit of stupid humor in it that doesn't seem to fit at times, but it still has a sense of star trekiness about it.  I'm not a fan of the pot humor or the dumb gags.  If they pulled that stupidity out of the show I think it would be really good.  Otherwise for now it's filling my "sci fi" needs.  Maybe I'm just really thirsty for another sci fi show and I'm taking anything I can get.

I have a feeling Star Trek is going to blow it away.  Just the SFX alone look 100 times better.  I only watched a few minutes of Orville last night but right off the bat we get another **** joke.  But they seemed to be tackling an important social issue.  The gag of the holodeck and Girls Just Wanna Fun was stupid and a good example of the weakness of the show where its very much Seth trying to do Family Guy without the benefit of the animation and absurdity that allows the cut aways to be funny.

For fans of Seinfeld, Jerry's new Netflix special is more of the same old, same old.... in a good way.  Special is 1 hr long; mostly a standup set where he returns to the club in NYC he started out at in the 70s.   New material is relevant and on point, gives you the standard chuckles here & there.  I'm pretty nostalgic & picked up on his older classics too... "you can tell how bad someone's relationship is when they touch their face....higher up they go, worse it is..." 

Still waiting on Comedians in Cars getting to Netflix.... all I can find is "sometime late 2017"....  :/ 

39 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

See I watched the latest episode and it hit me why that show is falling so flat. Seth McFarlane is just making shitty Star Trek fan fiction. It's neither Star Trek nor a comedy show. If he'd pick one or the other and make that it would be a lot better. Personally I think he should have made a pure comedy show that was a parody of Star Trek, but he seems to be more interested in playing at making Star Trek. 

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

See I watched the latest episode and it hit me why that show is falling so flat. Seth McFarlane is just making shitty Star Trek fan fiction. It's neither Star Trek nor a comedy show. If he'd pick one or the other and make that it would be a lot better. Personally I think he should have made a pure comedy show that was a parody of Star Trek, but he seems to be more interested in playing at making Star Trek. 

Seth is also the weakest link in the show.  He's a lousy actor and his "What!" exclamation to everything happening is unconvincing and silly.

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I actually just watched the second show, so I'm not sure if they're on their third episode or not.  I'd actually just like them to be more serious then do comedy.  Like I said, it's just a guilty pleasure for sci fi right now.

11 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I actually just watched the second show, so I'm not sure if they're on their third episode or not.  I'd actually just like them to be more serious then do comedy.  Like I said, it's just a guilty pleasure for sci fi right now.

Last night was Episode 3 and their first on their new night of Thursdays.  They are no longer on Sundays.  I agree.  if they were more serious and let the comedy come organically from the situations and relationships it could be a light sci fi drama that uses the alien concept to explore serious subjects.  It will never be Star Trek because it looks cheap even compared to TNG which was 30 years ago.   But i think there is a market for a Star Trek-lite.

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

That's what I am talking about though, they're trying to straddle the middle ground between two things and not succeeding terribly well as either. As Star Trek it doesn't compare, as a comedy it's just not funny enough. 

I wanted to give it a chance but it's really just all around crappy. McFarlane is a funny dude but he is hella weak as the lead in a show like that. Patrick Stewart he ain't. 

While Mercer isn't as good as he once was (his strength is biting political commentary....I'm not much for the On The Road Again stuff...) this is still a show I watch regularly, and will definitely miss. Here's hoping he's not gone from TV for too long.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Weird in this era but they used to do this with test pilots all the time.  Sometimes episode 2 would never come.

I woulda thought with a show that was a virtual lock, as this would be, that they'd have prepped 13, but maybe not. I guess there's no such thing as a sure thing in entertainment anymore.....

oh man do we really need a Party of Five reboot? I mean the twist is interesting though...if anyone cares tvline said

the new Party of Five would chronicle a Latino clan’s highs and lows as they learn to make it in a new country. (No word on whether Mom and Dad survived or not this time around.)

http://tvline.com/2017/09/27/party-of-five-reboot-latino-family/

I loved Party of Five.  But this seems a bit weird.  Like, it sounds like an entirely different show.  Even if you call it Party of Five for some reason, its not a reboot.  If anything, there might be value in resiting the original.  They all still act but arent *that* huge that you couldnt get them for a reunion.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I loved Party of Five.  But this seems a bit weird.  Like, it sounds like an entirely different show.  Even if you call it Party of Five for some reason, its not a reboot.  If anything, there might be value in resiting the original.  They all still act but arent *that* huge that you couldnt get them for a reunion.

I don't know for some reason I think it would work better if the kids were born in the US but their parents were illegal immigrants and their parents were deported, I mean at least they would still have the struggle of living without parents, but I already know my idea probably has some holes as well

26 minutes ago, iHeart said:

OH NO! PLEASE BE GENTLE....can Kate McKinnon play one of the witches?

http://tvline.com/2017/09/28/hocus-pocus-remake-movie-disney-channel/

no one can out Winifred Bette Midler

I'd imagine Disney would series it up more so then a movie remake but its been 25 so maybe it is just remake.