The TV Thread

On 10/20/2017 at 11:34 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Magnum was really good. I’m intrigued.  I prefer “sequels” to reboots. Tom Selleck works for CBS so I’d love to see him return as Magnum. At least to set it up. 

OMG, you can't replace Tom Selleck.  Why don't they just remake the Andy Griffith show while they're at it.

32 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

OMG, you can't replace Tom Selleck.  Why don't they just remake the Andy Griffith show while they're at it.

A few years ago they did a Knight Rider reboot.  And at the last second they added David Hasselhoff in a cameo.  Originally the show was meant to be a complete reboot but I guess it wasnt very good so they decided to make the main character the son of Michael Knight.  So the son met with the father for a brief cameo at the end.  And it was, by far, the best part of the show.  And had they just kept Hof and KITT, it could have been a fun show.

An older Tom Magnum living on the estate would be great.  Maybe he's enjoying retirement in Hawaii and every episode he reluctantly gets pulled into some caper.  Use his daughter as the star.

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A few years ago they did a Knight Rider reboot.  And at the last second they added David Hasselhoff in a cameo.  Originally the show was meant to be a complete reboot but I guess it wasnt very good so they decided to make the main character the son of Michael Knight.  So the son met with the father for a brief cameo at the end.  And it was, by far, the best part of the show.  And had they just kept Hof and KITT, it could have been a fun show.

An older Tom Magnum living on the estate would be great.  Maybe he's enjoying retirement in Hawaii and every episode he reluctantly gets pulled into some caper.  Use his daughter as the star.

Yeah I remember that.  That was the red mustang or something like that wasn't it?  That show was awful.

Yeah, if Tom Selleck is in the show as an older Magnum, then I could see it.  But if it's just replacing Magnum then...bleh.

13 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Yeah I remember that.  That was the red mustang or something like that wasn't it?  That show was awful.

Yeah, if Tom Selleck is in the show as an older Magnum, then I could see it.  But if it's just replacing Magnum then...bleh.

Yup.  They will NEVER capture the heart of the original show with someone else playing Magnum.  So they shouldnt try.  Have Selleck cameo or guest star with someone starring in a different role.  Then again, I hear Hawaii Five O is good.  But that was more of an ensemble, right?

For Magnum to work you need 1) Magnum (Selleck)   2) Ferrari  3) that theme song  4) surprising heart and serious look at PTSD underneath the lush and wealthy aspects of Hawaii.

Binged a couple shows over the weekend...

Nearly done with s1 of Mindhunter.  Reading reviews online, some think the writing is too convenient at times.  I really like it.  Though the main character Holden Caufield or whatever his last name is, is kinda phony.  I'm a sucker for shows that dramatize real events / stories.  One of the better recent takes on the age old "cop and bad guys" show.

I'm always almost done watching the UK's Black Mirror but can't really do more than 1 ep a day.  Such a mindf&#( kind of show....so if that's your thing, check it out!   The cast is not reoccuring, and each episode has a different storyline, so it's unique for sure.  Season 2's White Christmas episode with Jon Hamm is a great one to start off with. 

Edited by Jimmy Pop

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Binged a couple shows over the weekend...

Nearly done with s1 of Mindhunter.  Reading reviews online, some think the writing is too convenient at times.  I really like it.  Though the main character Holden Caufield or whatever his last name is, is kinda phony.  I'm a sucker for shows that dramatize real events / stories.  One of the better recent takes on the age old "cop and bad guys" show.

I'm always almost done watching the UK's Black Mirror but can't really do more than 1 ep a day.  Such a mindf&#( kind of show....so if that's your thing, check it out!   The cast is not reoccuring, and each episode has a different storyline, so it's unique for sure.  Season 2's White Christmas episode with Jon Hamm is a great one to start off with. 

I have Mindhunter on my list.  Looks really interesting.  Thanks for the report!

The gf loves Black Mirror.  I watched a few episodes and didnt mind it. 

I also recommend Ozark.  And Im still waiting to get to Narcos Season 3.

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A new Western series on Netflix.  Warning, there is some salty language in the trailer but it looks great!

That does look good.

Did you ever watch Hell on Wheels?  I was really into seasons 1 & start of 2 then I just forgot about it.  May have to revisit it to prep for Godless. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

That does look good.

Did you ever watch Hell on Wheels?  I was really into seasons 1 & start of 2 then I just forgot about it.  May have to revisit it to prep for Godless. 

It was always on my "to-do" list but I just never got around to it.  I do like period movies though, especially "olden" times.  Deadwood was great.

Must be fall, because all I seem to do is watch Jets/Bombers and binge TV shows :P

I started s1 of The Leftovers over the weekend.  It's a pretty somber show, won't be a pick me up for you.  Interesting nonetheless.  Randomly one day,  160M people, or 2% of the Earth's population just straight up vanish.  The series opens 3 years to the day from "the disappearance".  

....some might say it's what the real world needs right now....a lot less ppl!  ;)