The TV Thread

What crap TWD has become. Can't tell which is worse, the writing or the acting.

I didn't read the comics. But I love the series. Though I think the killing of major characters is sometimes done for shock value more than their claim of "the story led us there".
I'm not even comparing it to the comics (which full warning, I do love). It's only drama for drama's sake and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. But people, you included, obviously still love it Soooo... That's great for amc.

I didn't read the comics. But I love the series. Though I think the killing of major characters is sometimes done for shock value more than their claim of "the story led us there".
I'm not even comparing it to the comics (which full warning, I do love). It's only drama for drama's sake and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. But people, you included, obviously still love it Soooo... That's great for amc.

Having never read the comics, I'm curious how closely the show follows them?   Do they deviate from the primary story much?  If you've read the comics, are you not really surprised by what happens in the show?

Having never read the comics, I'm curious how closely the show follows them?   Do they deviate from the primary story much?  If you've read the comics, are you not really surprised by what happens in the show?

My understanding is they follow pretty closely.  My girlfriend loves the graphic novels and usually teases me with "I know whats going to happen".  Sometimes a character will look or act a bit different or die in a different way but at the right time or something like that.  Or certain scenes from the comic will happen but to a different character.  And ofcourse, some characters in the TV show are original.

There is a new series in development that would take place in the same universe but be completely original.

I think the things I dont like about the series is the deaths of the major characters.  In retrospect I get it but sometimes it seems done just for shock value.  And I found the last couple of seasons sort of repetitive - group confronts "evil" group, fight happens, people die, hope is lost, move on.  And yet I really like the show.  Its definitely cliched and unabashedly plays emotional games.  But it works at pulling you in.

I enjoy the show as well, but it does seem to become formulaic in that they settle in somewhere, bad guys come, they fight, they move on and repeat.   Their story telling is well done and bring you in every week to see what will happen to the characters.

Started seeing commercials for AMC's new show Better Call Saul, which is a spinoff of Breaking Bad.  Looking forward to that show.

It's different - different people die etc - I'm firmly of the belief it is for shock value/to mix it up for the readers.  The show is painfully slow.  What I love about the comics isn't necessarily what happens - but how they make you connect with the characters without tons of boring as hell dialogue.  That Darryl/Beth crud was nigh unwatchable.

It's different - different people die etc - I'm firmly of the belief it is for shock value/to mix it up for the readers.  The show is painfully slow.  What I love about the comics isn't necessarily what happens - but how they make you connect with the characters without tons of boring as hell dialogue.  That Darryl/Beth crud was nigh unwatchable.

Daryl/Beth...you mean their stand alone episode where they were getting to know each other?  Im a big fan of both characters so I enjoyed it.  I thought Beth was under-used until this season even though she spent most of it kidnapped.  It was definitely an interesting idea to hint at a romance between the two characters.

• 2 months later...

So....who has consumed season three of House of Cards?

My wife is half way through episode 7. I'm sure I'll get the coles notes when I get home from work. She claims it is not as engrossing as seasons 1 & 2.... but I repeat, she is already halfway through episode 7 the day it launched... pretty sure that's the definition of engrossing.

So I completed Sons of Anarchy. I had sort of knew the finish so it wasn't a shock to me. I can see why people didn't like the final episode as it was written in away showing jax's moves rather then doing the climax first for the shock value and then explaining things after.

There was something holding it back from being a truly great series though. I find a lot of people I know that thought it was the greatest ever are people that didn't like The Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire. It was "simpler", dumbed down to an extent but still good once you got into the characters.

I found the development of Tig the most interesting and hoped they'd show more of that to end the series but they didn't. One could also look at the series as the journey of Chibbs to an extent and he is a great character and fine actor.

Really into this show just added to Netflix it's about a wacky group of surgeons in the Korean War it's pretty edgy stuff.

Woah...sounds interesting.  But I think it may need someone with super powers in it.  Maybe someone with some kind of radar sense or something.  Otherwise I just don't think I would be interested in watching it.

Here's what I don't get. Why would DC have a TV show about The Flash when they are going to make movies with a different Flash?

Because...money!

They're making a movie universe and a TV universe.  As a matter of fact they're making multiple TV universes.  Half of the DC shows aren't even connected to each other.  Gotham is not in the same TV verse as Flash and Arrow (and soon Atom with Brandon Routh), and apparently Supergirl will be in it's own TV verse as well (although that hasn't been fully determined yet).  And there will be a Superman on the Supergirl show that will not be Henry Cavill.

What I'm thinking that they may do in the future, is create a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" story line (this is a comic book storyline that fixed some issues in the DC comics that crossed multiple universes together to create one DC Universe) and cross over the TV universes with the Movie universe.  That's just my theory.  But that could completely confuse a lot of people.

I dunno...it's DC.  They aren't exactly very smart when making movies outside of the Batman franchise.

Here's what I don't get. Why would DC have a TV show about The Flash when they are going to make movies with a different Flash?

I dunno...it's DC.  They aren't exactly very smart when making movies outside of the Batman franchise.

Quoted for the truth!

To be fair, they do seem to be making some strides in the right direction but they still make some head scratching decisions.  I'm still trying to get my head around Khal Drogo/New Conan as Aquaman.