The TV Thread

And I always feel sorry for SNL alumni that  leave the show because they signed on to a tv pilot that gets picked up only for it to get cancelled, not every cast member can have the same success rate as Tina Fey or Amy Pohler, or Seth Meyers....geez it how come the weekend update anchors always end up getting the best gigs, but then again we haven't really seen Colin what's his name or Charles Rocket (or really Norm Macdonald for that matter) do anything post SNL (the only thing I saw Rocket on post SNL was playing the father in Hocus Pocus, I find the watch your language line on him to be quite ironic)

and before anyone gets on my case about Norm Macdonald....and I think he got his ABC sitcom like a year after his termination

and I think Kevin Nealon might be a Happy Madison employee or something because he has appeared in several of Sandler's films

Edited by iHeart

32 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Katrina was a crime only in the moral sense but not criminal sense.

It based on the book Five Days at Memorial:

Five Days at Memorial explores the aftermath of 2005's Hurricane Katrina at the New Orleans Memorial Medical Center as well as the decision by staff — including Dr. Anna Pou — to euthanize critically ill patients after being trapped in the hospital for days without power. The book explores the attempts to prosecute Pou and two nurses for homicide after an investigation revealed elevated levels of morphine and other drugs in 23 patients who died at the hospital. Fink won the Pulitzer for a story she did in 2009 for ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine. 

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It based on the book Five Days at Memorial:

Five Days at Memorial explores the aftermath of 2005's Hurricane Katrina at the New Orleans Memorial Medical Center as well as the decision by staff — including Dr. Anna Pou — to euthanize critically ill patients after being trapped in the hospital for days without power. The book explores the attempts to prosecute Pou and two nurses for homicide after an investigation revealed elevated levels of morphine and other drugs in 23 patients who died at the hospital. Fink won the Pulitzer for a story she did in 2009 for ProPublica and The New York Times Magazine. 

Now THAT'S interesting.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Now THAT'S interesting.

Yeah Katrina has been a tough one for them.  I think they went in thinking there were so many things wrong that it would make a great story but they actually halted production and went back to the drawing board.

It was originally based on the book The Great Deluge and told the story of government mismanagement (Dennis Quaid was cast as George W Bush).  But they said they had trouble with finding the story, scheduling the actors and complicated water effects.

the new story sounds "smaller" but perhaps more dramatic.  Though I admit I was REALLY looking forward to seeing Quaid as Bush.

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

And I always feel sorry for SNL alumni that  leave the show because they signed on to a tv pilot that gets picked up only for it to get cancelled, not every cast member can have the same success rate as Tina Fey or Amy Pohler, or Seth Meyers....geez it how come the weekend update anchors always end up getting the best gigs, but then again we haven't really seen Colin what's his name or Charles Rocket (or really Norm Macdonald for that matter) do anything post SNL (the only thing I saw Rocket on post SNL was playing the father in Hocus Pocus, I find the watch your language line on him to be quite ironic)

and before anyone gets on my case about Norm Macdonald....and I think he got his ABC sitcom like a year after his termination

and I think Kevin Nealon might be a Happy Madison employee or something because he has appeared in several of Sandler's films

Norm MacDonald and Colin Quinn both have been doing stand up.   Some of Norm's stuff is absolutely hilarious.   

If you watch any Happy Madison films you would see a lot of re-occuring actors and actresses.   Adam Sandler hires his buddies and usually makes it a big vacation for him and his friends when on set.   

oh so that's what Quinn's been doing

and the reason why I didn't mention Fallon in my Weekend update examples because he kind of struggled for a few years post-SNL (both Taxi and Fever Pitch didn't do well, which is a shame because the climax was filmed when the Red Sox had their miracle playoff run) until he took over the late night job from Conan (yeah Ironically he too was an SNL employee but he was never a principle player he was a writer, who after SNL worked for the Simpsons for a couple of years before he got Dave's old job....every time my dad says Conan isn't funny, I keep telling him "You mean Conan O'Brien a former producer for the SImpsons who also wrote the episode Marge vs the Monorail isn't funny? (well he did also write New Kid on the Block and homer Goes to College and a THOH IV segment....I kind of wonder if Bart Gets Famous was Conan's swan song or something considering the time frame between Conan hosting an his appearance on the Simpsons)

that's true I guess Happy Madison does serve a purpose, Sandler employs his SNL buddies for his films, there were plenty of Alumni that worked on Hotel Transylvania (including former writer and TV Funhouse creator Robert Smigel, yeah he's not know for that much **bark bark bark** what's that google? **bark bark bark** Smigel is the performer of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog? (just once i would like to see Sandler do a movie with Will Ferrel)

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah Katrina has been a tough one for them.  I think they went in thinking there were so many things wrong that it would make a great story but they actually halted production and went back to the drawing board.

It was originally based on the book The Great Deluge and told the story of government mismanagement (Dennis Quaid was cast as George W Bush).  But they said they had trouble with finding the story, scheduling the actors and complicated water effects.

the new story sounds "smaller" but perhaps more dramatic.  Though I admit I was REALLY looking forward to seeing Quaid as Bush.

oh so Bush isn't in it now? oh well, but I guess maybe it's good that they chose a different story from that horrid time to give it an ACS focus

15 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I wonder if they touch on Ralph Nagin at all. NOLA’s mayor at the time of Katrina.... currently in prison until 2023.

Sounds like the original idea was very political.  This one seems more contained but I'd have to think would still touch on the politics.  Although the actors cast as President, Governor etc, they say they are looking for "new roles" for them.

15 hours ago, iHeart said:

and apparently alot of people watched Stranger Things, it got like Walking Dead sized numbers

http://tvline.com/2017/11/02/stranger-things-season-2-ratings-nielsen-audience/

Good to hear.  Its a really good TV show.  I love how it not only takes place in the 80's but has a feeling of being filmed in the 80's.  And a terrific cast.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sounds like the original idea was very political.  This one seems more contained but I'd have to think would still touch on the politics.  Although the actors cast as President, Governor etc, they say they are looking for "new roles" for them.

Good to hear.  Its a really good TV show.  I love how it not only takes place in the 80's but has a feeling of being filmed in the 80's.  And a terrific cast.

oh kind of like how Mad Men had the look of being filmed in the 60's?

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

oh kind of like how Mad Men had the look of being filmed in the 60's?

Well I only watched one episode of Mad Men lol  But yeah its very high production values.  it takes place in 1983 and 1984.  And if you grew up in the 80's it will bring back memories.  But like, the theme song and some of the score and ofcourse the soundtrack are all true to the era it takes place in.  Fashion, hair, cars, homes etc.  Really great.

If you havent seen it, highly recommend.  You'll love the cast, especially those damned kids.  Very charming.  The lead, Millie Bobby Brown, not only has a great name but is going to be a big star.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well I only watched one episode of Mad Men lol  But yeah its very high production values.  it takes place in 1983 and 1984.  And if you grew up in the 80's it will bring back memories.  But like, the theme song and some of the score and ofcourse the soundtrack are all true to the era it takes place in.  Fashion, hair, cars, homes etc.  Really great.

If you havent seen it, highly recommend.  You'll love the cast, especially those damned kids.  Very charming.  The lead, Millie Bobby Brown, not only has a great name but is going to be a big star.

well so have i but that was enough for me to notice the visual quality of the show