The TV Thread

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Netflix is valued at 100 bn....  it also carries a lot of debt and is nowhere near generating revenue.    I don't see a tonne of companies wanting to buy into that. 

It makes way more sense for Disney to go on their own.  

Netflix spends a lot but is seen in a very positive light.  They are spending a lot now to increase original programming. And they keep increasing subscriptions too, in a market with a huge upside. 

At 100 million subs paying $10 a month, there revenue is ridiculous. 

“A Dry Run” will follow the Abraham Lincoln and George Washington Battalions, both part of the International Brigade that fought in the Spanish Civil War, from their arrival in 1937 and first bloody battle in the Jarama Valley until their departure in 1939. The show offers a “compelling and tragic narrative,” Simon said, adding that the “Spanish struggle against fascism and the misuse of capitalism as a bulwark to totalitarianism” represent “the preeminent political narrative of the 20th century and of our time still.”

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-wire-david-simon-new-series-spanish-civil-war-1202747360/

http://tvline.com/2018/04/19/murphy-brown-tyne-daly-revival-cast-phils-sister-phyllis/

dear god please let the comedy network show episodes of the show before the revival happens, I never saw an episode even though I was totally aware that it existed when I was younger (I was 8 when it ended) or maybe they'll start releasing seasons on dvd again because they stopped after 1 due to poor sales

hey why not, king of the hill eventually resumed, Family Matters eventually resumed, the Simpsons just started doing it again

Edited by iHeart

http://tvline.com/2018/04/23/lethal-weapon-season-3-cancellation-clayne-crawfords-behavior/

oh and CBS all Access is now officially available in Canada.....but Star Trek discovery airs on Space and hey is W airing the Good Fight?

go home netflix you're drunk

http://tvline.com/2018/04/23/the-fast-and-the-furious-netflix-series-first-look/

Edited by iHeart

15 hours ago, iHeart said:

http://tvline.com/2018/04/23/lethal-weapon-season-3-cancellation-clayne-crawfords-behavior/

oh and CBS all Access is now officially available in Canada.....but Star Trek discovery airs on Space and hey is W airing the Good Fight?

go home netflix you're drunk

http://tvline.com/2018/04/23/the-fast-and-the-furious-netflix-series-first-look/

W airs The Good Fight.  Its really good.   Its on late though (Midnight, I think), Sunday night/Monday morning.  More adult now, they speak like real people (F bombs, occasional nudity).

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Anyone watching Westworld Season 2?  I havent seen the premiere yet.  We just finished binging Season 1.  I highly recommend watching Season 1 again, and ofcourse its way better when you binge it.  That show is BRILLIANT.  Like...crazy!  There is one twist, where when it happens, its not that it's sudden, it starts to happen and you're like "wait...did he...no...what!" Its incredible.  And very much a smart show with its concepts about the bicameral mind and the nature of consciousness. 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Anyone watching Westworld Season 2?  I havent seen the premiere yet.  We just finished binging Season 1.  I highly recommend watching Season 1 again, and ofcourse its way better when you binge it.  That show is BRILLIANT.  Like...crazy!  There is one twist, where when it happens, its not that it's sudden, it starts to happen and you're like "wait...did he...no...what!" Its incredible.  And very much a smart show with its concepts about the bicameral mind and the nature of consciousness. 

I'm getting into the second half of season 1 now. I started a while back but ended my HBO subscription before getting too far. 

It's interesting but I feel like they could have done a lot more. 

Spoiler

I just finished episode 6 and Elsie was just grabbed after finding a bunch of evidence. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm getting into the second half of season 1 now. I started a while back but ended my HBO subscription before getting too far. 

It's interesting but I feel like they could have done a lot more. 

Hide contents

I just finished episode 6 and Elsie was just grabbed after finding a bunch of evidence. 

When I watched it originally, I sort of struggled to make myself watch it.  And when it was done, I felt exhausted but knew it was good.  Only the second time around have I truly realized how great it is.  Its really confusing as far as whats happening (for me anyway) so when it was revealed, while it was great it didnt change the fact I watched most of it with a "WTF is happening" mentality.  Watching it again i noticed more and loved more.

The first half (or even 2/3) absolutely sets up the remaining third of episodes.  Probably episode 7 or 8, things are paid off.

Please come back and tell me what you think after you finish it.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

When I watched it originally, I sort of struggled to make myself watch it.  And when it was done, I felt exhausted but knew it was good.  Only the second time around have I truly realized how great it is.  Its really confusing as far as whats happening (for me anyway) so when it was revealed, while it was great it didnt change the fact I watched most of it with a "WTF is happening" mentality.  Watching it again i noticed more and loved more.

The first half (or even 2/3) absolutely sets up the remaining third of episodes.  Probably episode 7 or 8, things are paid off.

Please come back and tell me what you think after you finish it.

Spoiler

What gets me is how incredibly unprofessional everyone is at the company and how much leeway staff have. Thinking of Felix and how he interacts with Maeve. 

I think my curiosity about how this type of "park" would operate and the complexity is what's keeping me going. 

Waiting for the payoff. 

15 minutes ago, JCon said:
  Hide contents

What gets me is how incredibly unprofessional everyone is at the company and how much leeway staff have. Thinking of Felix and how he interacts with Maeve. 

I think my curiosity about how this type of "park" would operate and the complexity is what's keeping me going. 

Waiting for the payoff. 

Spoiler

Thats a good point.  The one that struck me was the head writer and what an obnoxious ******* he was.  But I think it was done to show the different "personalities" of the divisions.  For example programming/behavior (Bernard, Else) are pretty professional and on-point.  Creative (the English guy) is immature.  QA (Theresa) is strict and authoritarian. 

And ofcourse, its all related to how Robert Ford acts in that the park is somewhat rudderless because Ford doesnt seem to care much about the business aspect as he does about the creations.

Im not sure you'd been introduced yet to Charlotte, she's the Board of Directives rep.  So once she appears, it provides even more explanation for the business end of things.  And some of the professionalism and wild behavior is somewhat acknowledged or at least it makes sense in the context of the Board sending someone in to see whats up.

But one thing I think I'd point to, they all have very different personalities and everyone is either well fleshed out or at least hints at depth of character. 

16 minutes ago, JCon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Waiting for the payoff. 

What your looking for is coming. It's a pivotal scene.

I find Westworld really hard to follow, but it's quality TV, even if you don't understand what is really going on. First episode of season two continues with the ambiguity.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:
  Hide contents

Thats a good point.  The one that struck me was the head writer and what an obnoxious ******* he was.  But I think it was done to show the different "personalities" of the divisions.  For example programming/behavior (Bernard, Else) are pretty professional and on-point.  Creative (the English guy) is immature.  QA (Theresa) is strict and authoritarian. 

And ofcourse, its all related to how Robert Ford acts in that the park is somewhat rudderless because Ford doesnt seem to care much about the business aspect as he does about the creations.

Im not sure you'd been introduced yet to Charlotte, she's the Board of Directives rep.  So once she appears, it provides even more explanation for the business end of things.  And some of the professionalism and wild behavior is somewhat acknowledged or at least it makes sense in the context of the Board sending someone in to see whats up.

But one thing I think I'd point to, they all have very different personalities and everyone is either well fleshed out or at least hints at depth of character. 

Spoiler

I find it interesting that they're not sitting at computers coding. It seems they spend a lot of time interacting with with the androids. I guess watching them code would be boring. 

Yes, Charlotte was just introduced in the last episode, with the head writer hitting on her, then urinating on the map. 

1 minute ago, itchy said:

I find Westworld really hard to follow, but it's quality TV, even if you don't understand what is really going on. First episode of season two continues with the ambiguity.

I'm looking forward to the reveal. 

I stopped watching the last two nights to watch Spiderman: Homecoming. I still hadn't seen it and I'm going to Avengers on Saturday. 

Also re-watching Guardians of the Galaxy I & II. Love those movies. Watched Civil War last month. 

But those are movies and we're in the TV Thread. 

Just now, JCon said:

Reveal hidden contents

I find it interesting that they're not sitting at computers coding. It seems they spend a lot of time interacting with with the androids. I guess watching them code would be boring. 

Yes, Charlotte was just introduced in the last episode, with the head writer hitting on her, then urinating on the map. 

I'm looking forward to the reveal. 

I stopped watching the last two nights to watch Spiderman: Homecoming. I still hadn't seen it and I'm going to Avengers on Saturday. 

Also re-watching Guardians of the Galaxy I & II. Love those movies. Watched Civil War last month. 

But those are movies and we're in the TV Thread. 

Episode 7

8 minutes ago, itchy said:

I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out whats going on.  I actually read a refresher online before binging season 1 again, just to remind myself.  And it helped and then watching it the second time so quickly, it really is like mind-blowing.  Even some things that still are a little ambiguous, the "it could be this..." was cool.

Once Jcon finishes, we can ditch the spoilers (its two years old lol) and really delve into season 1!

23 minutes ago, iHeart said:

so....apparently Double Dare is going to be revived on Nickelodeon....but I don't know if it ever aired in Canada so I don't know if anyone here will get nostalgic over it...no word yet on a host

Isn’t that the show with kids who run an obstacle course at the end through all manner of sauce, and slime etc?

if so it aired here. Late afternoon (like after school) and was very popular for a time. 

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Isn’t that the show with kids who run an obstacle course at the end through all manner of sauce, and slime etc?

if so it aired here. Late afternoon (like after school) and was very popular for a time. 

yeah I guess you could say it was kind of a very distant cousin of Uh Oh there were also questions involved (except Uh Oh was spun off from It's Alive)

anyway the show ended when I was very young so I wouldn't have nostalgia for it.  I'm old enough to remember Uh Oh, Video and Arcade top ten, Clips (aired on YTV) Secrets of the Cryptkeepers Haunted House (which was basically Hidden Temple with a haunted house...at least that is how I see it and I haven't seen Hidden Temple), Jep! Wheel 2000! (kids versions of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune) and both Carmen Sandiego game shows

what network did it air on in Canada because we didn't get Nick til 09

Edited by iHeart