Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?

Atomic

Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?

• Yes
    • No

His drafting has been really good, that will do more to ensure the long term success of the team than anything else. Just gotta be patient. They said that from the get go, they weren't going to be big players in FA, they were going to build from within, well that takes like 5 years to really pay off. 

And they're well on their way assuming guys keep progressing. I don't know if Scheifele has the real high end #1C potential but he'll be a solid top 6 C I think and Trouba could be your #1D for a long time so once you have those two pieces the rest just comes naturally. 

And they're well on their way assuming guys keep progressing. I don't know if Scheifele has the real high end #1C potential but he'll be a solid top 6 C I think and Trouba could be your #1D for a long time so once you have those two pieces the rest just comes naturally. 

And there are good kids coming to join them as well. Scheifele and Trouba are always the first two kids people think of when it comes to the future but guys like Petan and Lowry have bright, bright futures as well. Personally I'm really excited about Lowry when he's ready given the size he has for the centre position.

I voted yes but I do wonder how long his rope is.   Very good chance we don't make the playoffs this year with the conference we are in.

Do we have to make them next year, the year after before people start calling for his head?

When the Wild came back to Minnesota, took them 10 years before they stopped selling out and a winning team mattered more to the bottom line. 

I ask what else could the guy do? He offered huge money to Stastny so far his draft picks have been rock solid. He's shed all the garbage and locked up the talent we have.

What more could he do?

He could sign a decent left-winger so we don't have Eric Tangradi as our third line left wing.  Tangradi is terrible.

Sticking with Pavelec is a terrible move.  Either he is not good enough, or the team in front of him is not good enough.  Well, our defence is the exact same as it was last season.  So what are they expecting?  Pavelec to take a huge leap in his development?  The defence to somehow magically get better this season, even with no changes?  Sorry but that's not going to happen.

Everyone knows this team is not going to make the playoffs this season.  There is literally no chance.  And yet Cheveldayoff sits idly by and does nothing, as usual.  What has he ever done to improve this team?  He took a broken team from Atlanta and is trying desperately to keep them together.  Why?  What is this team going to look like after a few injuries?  Clitsome on the top D-pairing, Thorburn back on the third line again... Tangradi on the second line?  God help us.

I like the "Draft and develop" strategy.  But that is only one part of building a team.  It can't be the ONLY route a team goes to improve.  4 years after the Thrashers came to Winnipeg, and they still look like the Thrashers.  Chevy is just not nearly active enough in free agency or on the trade market.

Even his drafting has been suspect so far.  Sure, it looks like he hit home runs with Trouba and Scheifele.  But that's only two players, and there isn't a single player in St. John's who looks ready to make the jump.  You gotta get some value from the second and third round picks... you just have to.  It can't just be one first-round pick every year.

People talk about a five-year plan, or whatever.  I don't buy it.  Chevy does not have a plan.  It should have been a full-scale rebuild from the beginning, but he has clung to this idea that the team needed to stay together to win some games now.  So we end up in 10th every year.  And we will again this year.  Not bad enough for a high pick, not good enough to make the playoffs.  We can do better... but we won't.  Not with Chevy.

Even his drafting has been suspect so far.  Sure, it looks like he hit home runs with Trouba and Scheifele.  But that's only two players, and there isn't a single player in St. John's who looks ready to make the jump.  You gotta get some value from the second and third round picks... you just have to.  It can't just be one first-round pick every year.

The difficulty is that 2nd and 3rd round picks often take 4 or 5 years to be ready to even start to break into the NHL, it's development. People get impatient though expecting instant results. 

The difficulty is that 2nd and 3rd round picks often take 4 or 5 years to be ready to even start to break into the NHL, it's development. People get impatient though expecting instant results. 

Well in 4 years, our second round picks are Nic Petan, Eric Comrie, and Lukas Sutter.  Petan and Comrie obviously have potential, but Sutter isn't even Jets property anymore.  I'm as excited as anyone about Petan, but in four years of drafting you would hope we could find one player in the second round that would be able to play at least a depth role moving between the Jets and IceCaps.

and 2nd round picks have like a 25% chance of ever playing in the NHL so if you got 2 guys you expect to make it you're ahead of the curve...

So then, draft & develop is kind of a joke, isn't it?  We're counting on one, maybe two, players each year coming up in the system.  At that rate, it takes 8-9 years to rebuild a team.  This is how long we are expected to wait?

and 2nd round picks have like a 25% chance of ever playing in the NHL so if you got 2 guys you expect to make it you're ahead of the curve...

So then, draft & develop is kind of a joke, isn't it?  We're counting on one, maybe two, players each year coming up in the system.  At that rate, it takes 8-9 years to rebuild a team.  This is how long we are expected to wait?

yes basically, unless you're interested in spending a ton in FA it takes a long time to build up a system with depth, especially when you're starting from as shitty a place as the Thrashers were in. That team really crippled it's organizational depth. They left a few good pieces in the system, but not nearly enough. 

yes basically, unless you're interested in spending a ton in FA it takes a long time to build up a system with depth, especially when you're starting from as shitty a place as the Thrashers were in. That team really crippled it's organizational depth. They left a few good pieces in the system, but not nearly enough. 

Well, Winnipeg has the fourth-most cap space in the league right now, so I think a free agent or two wouldn't kill us.

Well, Winnipeg has the fourth-most cap space in the league right now, so I think a free agent or two wouldn't kill us.

So who do they sign?   And how do they sign guys when they offer them big money and they turn us down?

it's a depth move, who is available out there right now? care to tell us?

I'll give you a hint, It's nobody at all.

Not a huge fan of this move but... it's just a depth move, another 2 way deal... not sure why every move needs to be a huge move, guess we have some (one??) guy on here who wants us to go the maple leafs or philly route and try to buy our way in to the playoffs only to miss it the year after.. 

is making the playoffs the goal? or is making the playoffs and having a chance to actually win in the playoffs the goal? 

Cuz man i'd feel sooo much better if we made the playoffs and got swept in 4 straight games. That would definitely mean a step in the right direction, getting embarrassed in the play-offs. Hope that happens soon so people seriously shut up.. but it won't and for the long term of the franchise, it's best that we miss the playoffs again, We aren't good enough to compete with the elite teams, that's gonna take some time, we aren't there... not sure why anyone honestly thought we would or even could be in 3 seasons. 

it's a depth move, who is available out there right now? care to tell us?

I'll give you a hint, It's nobody at all.

Not a huge fan of this move but... it's just a depth move, another 2 way deal... not sure why every move needs to be a huge move, guess we have some (one??) guy on here who wants us to go the maple leafs or philly route and try to buy our way in to the playoffs only to miss it the year after.. 

is making the playoffs the goal? or is making the playoffs and having a chance to actually win in the playoffs the goal? 

Yeah you're right, there isn't much available out there now.  Because it's the end of July and Chevy spent the whole month doing nothing while other teams signed up the good players.  I still think we should sign Dustin Penner.  He is a flawed player, no doubt, but he is far better than guys like Tangradi, Halischuk, and Thorburn... he can at least contribute offensively.  And he is Manitoban.

We have literally no depth at left wing right now.  We have Ladd, then Kane, then nobody.  We're looking at Tangradi or a call-up like Klingberg filling that role.  WTF?  You can't win with depth like that.

I don't know why you can't see the difference between signing a couple pieces to fill-in the holes in the line-up, versus being like the Leafs and signing everyone available.  You don't have to go to one extreme or the other, there is a middle ground there.  Signing a couple free agents isn't going to prevent us from being a good team in the future, it isn't going to cripple the team.

As for your last statement about making the playoffs, or winning in the playoffs... care to explain to me how signing a couple free agents will prevent us from building a team that can win in the playoffs?  That is lost on me.

If you truly feel we are one or 2 pieces and free agent pieces at that away from making the playoffs... I honestly don't know what to say.. I think you are kind of kidding yourself a bit there though.

I guess, fact is... we aren't even close.

Not sure why you think a team who couldn't make the playoffs in the weakest division in all of sports before (the southeast) has a chance or is one or 2 pieces away from making it in one of the toughest divisions in hockey now...

I guess, why do you think a team who basically finishes .500 is one or 2 players away from winning in the play-offs? 

If you truly feel we are one or 2 pieces and free agent pieces at that away from making the playoffs... I honestly don't know what to say.. I think you are kind of kidding yourself a bit there though.

I guess, fact is... we aren't even close.

Not sure why you think a team who couldn't make the playoffs in the weakest division in all of sports before (the southeast) has a chance or is one or 2 pieces away from making it in one of the toughest divisions in hockey now...

I guess, why do you think a team who basically finishes .500 is one or 2 players away from winning in the play-offs? 

And you still think Chevy is doing a good job??  Wow.  3 years on the job and hasn't given us a team that is even close to the playoffs.  Wonderful..  Don't worry, I already know the response.  "It would have been impossible for Chevy to turn this team around in 3 years."  What an absolute loser mentality.

Anyways, you are totally missing the point.  A couple free agents would make this team better.  Its not about winning in the playoffs or not, it's simply about making the team better.  What argument do you have against making the team better by signing a couple players?