Bomber property in the NFL

Milt

Now that training camp is under way, just wondering if anyone has any insight into who we might expect to shake loose from the crop of bomber picks and former bombers in the NFL right now as I don't follow it too closely.

Bilukidi as I understand is in tough to make it in cincy and is no longer PR eligible. Sounds like he could be here by the end of the year.

What's the word on Mulumba, Muamba, and Mathews?

Thanks

I'd be shocked if Henoc makes the Colts. I read I believe it was three days ago or so that he was taking minimal reps because of his position on the depth chart. It will be interesting to see how much time he gets once preseason for the team starts.

As far as Matthews goes I highly doubt he comes back. I don't see us getting into a bidding war for him. If he gets cut I'd expect him to end up in Ottawa given how poor their receivers are.

If Muamba doesn't make it, wonder what the chances of him coming back are, or would he be more like to go play closer to home.

Certainly hope we would make a monetary offer that would make him consider coming back here.

Now that training camp is under way, just wondering if anyone has any insight into who we might expect to shake loose from the crop of bomber picks and former bombers in the NFL right now as I don't follow it too closely.

Bilukidi as I understand is in tough to make it in cincy and is no longer PR eligible. Sounds like he could be here by the end of the year.

What's the word on Mulumba, Muamba, and Mathews?

Thanks

Bilukidi seems like he could shake loose.  The potential problem there is he's been at NFL weight for quite some time and you need to be athletic and mobile to play in our current defense.  Hang on to him and send him to Jenny Craig in the offseason?  Move him to a team that will actually use him and get a more athletic Dlineman in return?  Wait and see.  Some players don't have enough football passion that they want to continue playing in the CFL, or they've accumulated enough injuries and money that it isn't worth it.  He could just retire.

Matthews chances of landing with the Seahawks increased with the retirement of Sidney Rice.  I don't think they've brought in any more receivers since, so if they have planned for a set number of receivers on their roster then he's probably going to stick.

Mulamba probably stays with Green Bay for at least one more year.  He only got positional reps because of injuries to the guys in front of him, but he did well in those and has been great on special teams.  I'm not sure what positions they addressed in the draft though.  If they went early on guys at his position, he may be wearing another team's jersey this season.  But it's unlikely to be a Bomber jersey.

No idea what's happening with Muamba.  Sure would love to have him back here.

Mulumba

• Today: "LOCKSClay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Andy Mulumba" - Jake Dowling, predicting the GB roster of outside linebackers.  He writes: "Should Matthews and/or Peppers run into injuries of their own, the Packers need both Perry and Neal (and possibly even Andy Mulumba) to step up. If any of the three have issues with injuries too, this could turn out to be an ugly situation for the Packers -- yet again. With Matthews in and out of the lineup last season, the Packers could not rely on Perry and Neal on a weekly basis because both were dealing with injuries of their own. Despite Neal playing all 16 games, he was not always effective.

Thus, the Packers had to lean on Mulumba, a rookie from the Republic of the Congo. Mulumba had a crash course in 2013, finishing with 30 tackles and one sack. However, the most infamous moment for Mulumba from last year was his ill-fated attempt to chase down San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick on a hobbled ankle on a third-and-long play in the NFC Wild Card game." https://www.football.com/en-us/packers-positional-breakdown-the-outside-linebackers/

• July 27: With Nick Perry and Mike Neal out, OLB Nate Palmer has worked alongside Andy Mulumba with the No. 2 defense ahead ofCarl BradfordAdrian Hubbard and Jayrone Elliott. - http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/training-camp-report-sunday-at-a-glance-b99318940z1-268830021.html

• July 26: Holdovers Andy Mulumba and Nate Palmer combined for 543 snaps as rookies. Mulumba had the more impressive off-season and is bigger.  "Mulumba's a strong kid," an NFC scout said. "Lacked rush moves. Palmer's really raw and not real strong. Has a little athletic ability."  - http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/age-injuries-may-add-up-b99316575z1-268750761.html

Bilukidi

• Bilukidi was placed on the injury list initially, but has now come back on the roster and is participating in camp.
  • July 28: When the full pads finally came on Sunday, it was a joyous day for 11-year defensive end Robert Geathers. After missing the majority of last year with an elbow injury, Geathers is making some noise early in camp while he tries to hold off Dontay Moch and Christo Bilukidi for what likely comes down to the fifth and final DE spot.  -  http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/7/28/5944227/robert-geathers-bengals-odds-dontay-moch

Muamba

• July 30A few other players stood out on Wednesday in getting a chance to make an impression due to injuries .... Inside linebacker Josh McNary was again held out of practice and that opened the door for Henoc Muamba. The Canadian Football League free agent signee won several one-on-one battles in blocking drills. Muamba also made a few plays during 11-on-11 drills
  • July 27: Henoc Muamba had a red zone pass defensed, while recovering a fumble down deep forced by Josh Gordy off Josh Lenz .  Lenz quickly atoned with spectacular footwork on a TD snare. - http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Camp-Notebook-July-27/edd88d5e-6cd7-4898-9600-30b3b5143c65
  • On Monday, June 23, the Indianapolis Colts partnered with Special Olympics Indiana to host a PLAY 60 youth football camp at the Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center. Over 125 Special Olympics athletes participated in various fitness stations with Indiana High School Athletic Association students and Indianapolis Colts players.  Colts OL DANIEL ADONGO, RB VICK BALLARD, TULRICK JOHN and LB HENOC MUAMBA all participated in the camp. Each player ran a football related drill, interacted with the Special Olympics athletes and posed for pictures.

Henoc got six figures guaranteed. I would be surprised if him and Matthews weren't at least offered practice roster spots. With Sydney Rice retiring in Seattle, they have a real need for a big receiver to impress. I think Matthews is about the 6th or 7th receiver in Seattle right now with the team expected to carry five or six. He's right on the bubble and has a great chance to play his way onto(or off of) the team in camp.

I would love to have them both back though. Let's add Phillip Hunt or Alex Hall while we're at it.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2014/07/2014-training-camp-news-notes-july-25th.html

WR Chris Mathews 
Mathews is the 6'5" CFL star who missed most of OTAs with injuries. It was exciting to see him available to play, and it appeared as if the quarterbacks had been asked to see what he had. He didn't have much. They threw him a lot of balls, and he caught none that I saw. What's worse is that he often looked disinterested in competing for the contested ball. This is a very tall man, and guys like Philip Adams were winning position on jump balls with him. He did not appear to have the ability to adjust to passes that were off-target, and seemed to be going half-speed. I'd never write a player off after one practice, but this guy better turns things around quickly if he wants to last past the first week of practice.

WR Chris Mathews 

Mathews is the 6'5" CFL star who missed most of OTAs with injuries. It was exciting to see him available to play, and it appeared as if the quarterbacks had been asked to see what he had. He didn't have much. They threw him a lot of balls, and he caught none that I saw. What's worse is that he often looked disinterested in competing for the contested ball. This is a very tall man, and guys like Philip Adams were winning position on jump balls with him. He did not appear to have the ability to adjust to passes that were off-target, and seemed to be going half-speed. I'd never write a player off after one practice, but this guy better turns things around quickly if he wants to last past the first week of practice.

Sounds like the guy who was wearing 13 here last season.

WR Chris Mathews 

Sounds like the guy who was wearing 13 here last season.

Exactly!

Who would Matthews replace on the Bomber roster?  Moore, Kelly or Denmark....I say, nay, nay, nay.

If we did get him back he would be great trade bait to acquire Allen from Sask. though. 

Why the hell would we sign matthews and then trade him? That makes zero sense... and as much as i like Allen, what has he done exactly? He's shown he can run behind SASKs oline, just like Ford, Charles,Messam and really name a guy, whoever they put in at RB, puts up big rushing yards....It's really irrelevant who is back there for them, This is the same team that leads the league in rushing and have used like 5 or 6 different backs so far in 5 games... What does that tell you? Tells me, it's not the running back, it's the oline. 

Who would Matthews replace on the Bomber roster?  Moore, Kelly or Denmark....I say, nay, nay, nay.

If we did get him back he would be great trade bait to acquire Allen from Sask. though. 

Why the hell would we sign matthews and then trade him? That makes zero sense... and as much as i like Allen, what has he done exactly? He's shown he can run behind SASKs oline, just like Ford, Charles,Messam and really name a guy, whoever they put in at RB, puts up big rushing yards....It's really irrelevant who is back there for them, This is the same team that leads the league in rushing and have used like 5 or 6 different backs so far in 5 games... What does that tell you? Tells me, it's not the running back, it's the oline. 

There's been successful RB's in this league behind worse Olines... Grigsby has been very unimpressive

There's been successful RB's in this league behind worse Olines... Grigsby has been very unimpressive

I agree. I think that Grigsby could be better if our OL was better, however, I think that there are RBs out there that would have had more success than he has had behind our current OL incarnation.

He'd have to be more productive than anything we have. Then we could keep one of Grigsby/Cotton and let them develop. I would love for the club to try and find a RB like Messam, whether they are a National or International. It's always nice to have that guy who can Bulldoze up the middle and a waterbug guy. We all know how effective it's been in the past.