Special Teams - - Our Enigma

BigBlue

I thought we had lost tonight's games because of special teams mistakes:

!. holding /blocking penalties on returns .... especially away from the play

2. Return for a touchdown against us ... #41b (I think) looked lackadaisical

3. Ian Wild snapping the ball over our punters head

What gives?

I thought special teams was the extraordinary part oif O'Shea's game ... how many years as a special teams coach .... this seems like such an enigma !!!

I am absolutely thrilled, amazed and happy with tonight's photo-finish win ... and Drew Willy's special leadership .. but can we do something to save me from this type of  heart attack?

Agreed Hamilton really hung in there for a while because of special teams. Hajrulahu had a tough day punting the ball.  A couple he drove right to the returner.  He also did it once on the kickoff after the safety.  The cover team needed more time to get down there.  Medlock seemed to get more hangtime.

Gotta keep in mind how young and inexperienced this team is. The 5-1 record belies the growing pains which are going to persist. If we keep getting wins, I can live with it.

This. People forget that even though we are 5-1, this was not a very good football team last year for a number of reasons. Mistakes are a part of the game and we are still going to have a fair share of them.

Agreed Hamilton really hung in there for a while because of special teams. Hajrulahu had a tough day punting the ball.  A couple he drove right to the returner.  He also did it once on the kickoff after the safety.  The cover team needed more time to get down there.  Medlock seemed to get more hangtime.

Medlock just looks like the unhappiest guy out on the field. Like he is one bad word from crying.

Gotta keep in mind how young and inexperienced this team is. The 5-1 record belies the growing pains which are going to persist. If we keep getting wins, I can live with it.

The wins are great while they last, but reality will intrude-maybe this next game, but win or lose, this team is one we can believe in and be proud of.

The wins are great while they last, but reality will intrude-maybe this next game, but win or lose, this team is one we can believe in and be proud of.

Agree - in a couple of years if the regime stays we win a game like by 30 points. We can't put teams away right now and I don't forget Hamilton was as much to blame for the first half - they were flat flat flat. When they decided to play they made it a heck of a game but I think they almost lulled us, scratch that, they did lull us to sleep. Great learning game for the Blue and Gold - they'll improve and 5 - 1 .... sweeeeeeeeet :)

But at the same time, 7 or 8 wins is pretty much a lock for the playoffs, that's only 2 or 3 wins away and it's only just August now. Considering where this team was coming from even if "reality" does set in it's still a hell of a good season compared to last already. I'm not even sure what reality is anyway.. I don't know anyone that's expecting the team to keep winning at this kind of pace, but the fact that they don't tend to make stupid mistakes and don't give up when bad things happen is a pretty good reality regardless of whether they win every game or not. Attitude like they've shown they'll win more than they lose. 

Saskatchewan and Toronto both made it in with 8 wins in 2002

Calgary was 8-10 in 2001 and um, well they made it to the Grey Cup game.  I don't remember who their opponent was.

No they cancelled the Grey Cup that year, was a shame too because I thought the Bombers had a great chance to win it all. 

Saskatchewan and Toronto both made it in with 8 wins in 2002

Calgary was 8-10 in 2001 and um, well they made it to the Grey Cup game.  I don't remember who their opponent was.

No they cancelled the Grey Cup that year, was a shame too because I thought the Bombers had a great chance to win it all. 

As I recall it had something to do with protesting the Soviet invasion of Irtusk.

I've been pulling for Woods to become our Chad Owens, but he hasn't even come close. The club desperately needs a returner that can be a threat each and every time they touch the ball. I thought we had that in Washington but he can't hold on to the ball. Woods looks to be slower than last year and runs more sideways than forward. Is there any decent returners from last year that aren't with anyone?

I've been pulling for Woods to become our Chad Owens, but he hasn't even come close. The club desperately needs a returner that can be a threat each and every time they touch the ball. I thought we had that in Washington but he can't hold on to the ball. Woods looks to be slower than last year and runs more sideways than forward. Is there any decent returners from last year that aren't with anyone?

Back in the day we had Paul Bennett returning punts.  He was extremely slow but he did one thing well, and in terms of punt and kick-off returns its the only thing that matters - he never fumbled.  As long as Woods holds onto the ball, I really don't give a crap about anything else.  If he gets us 10 - 15 yards on the returns here and there, that's just a bonus.  Holding on to the ball is all that matters.