MB's play calling

BigBlue

I must say that from inside the (red zone) 5 yard line I would much rather see us throw the ball into the end zone than see us try to run it in ... our success rate has not been high enough doing that

I also feel that at the stage the Blue are at right now ... on 1st & 10 we need some short passing plays (flat passes, look-ins & quick outs) to set up the run ... it just seems like on first down we are to predictable with our running plays and the opposition  knows it

MB is doing OK but I think he needs to mix it up more  and quit trying to overpower their D-line with our O-line

Grisby was effective tonight because we were going outside the tackle-box with short passes and some outside runs ... that opened up the middle a little and then we had some tiny success there .... that's what you call multi-dimensional

When our offense shut down in the second half, it was as if we got too conservative (and predictable) ... short buck then throwing on 2nd & 8 .... over and over and ...

MOS has handed MB quite a team ... lets go further forward eh!

I'm not minding MB's play calling for the most part, because he is working in new aspects to our offence, hello Paris Cotton, Pontbriand and virtually anyone who is on the bench.

Put me in Coach, I'm ready to play…today.

The running game is still missing its mark, but it's doesn't seem to be as big a concern…when you're winning.

The running game is still missing its mark, but it's doesn't seem to be as big a concern…when you're winning.

But I saw a lot of improvement there today as well. Got Grigsby outside more where he is more effective, Cotton was a nice change of pace on a few plays. It's still a work in progress but I think there are some good signs there. 

I'm not minding MB's play calling for the most part, because he is working in new aspects to our offence, hello Paris Cotton, Pontbriand and virtually anyone who is on the bench.

I don't know who was responsible for calling the last play of the game but that was an insane choice imo.  They only needed 3 yards to score, a quick slant in and a bullet to Denmark has better odds than throwing a rainbow across the field to a RB. I was virtually stunned when that play succeeded.

I don't know who was responsible for calling the last play of the game but that was an insane choice imo.  They only needed 3 yards to score, a quick slant in and a bullet to Denmark has better odds than throwing a rainbow across the field to a RB. I was virtually stunned when that play succeeded.

The play call was on the brilliant side of basic play calling IMO, as it isolates our RB outside where Drew just has to locate the ball for him.

The mistake was Denmark being in the same time zone as Grigby…too many bodies there.

However, Denmark did position himself to block out any defender, and Willy absolutely nailed the play of the game by floating the ball over the cover man…perfectly.

It's always brilliant when it works.

Is it me or does grisly seem slow trying to round the corner?

Cotton looked faster and more powerful running up the middle like he is leaning into the defender and driving his legs and them backwards.

Could be the weird camera angles.

It is concerning that we let a 20-3 lead vanish pretty quickly, but on the other hand it's the firs time in ages that I still believe willy can march down the field and win the game in the final seconds.

It's all hope and optimism for the majority of the game (minus Edmonton) which makes the games much more enjoyable to watch and get excited for.

The last few years, when the other team was up but 10 it felt like the game was out of reach with all the two and outs.

I don't know who was responsible for calling the last play of the game but that was an insane choice imo. They only needed 3 yards to score, a quick slant in and a bullet to Denmark has better odds than throwing a rainbow across the field to a RB. I was virtually stunned when that play succeeded.

The play call was on the brilliant side of basic play calling IMO, as it isolates our RB outside where Drew just has to locate the ball for him.

The mistake was Denmark being in the same time zone as Grigby…too many bodies there.

However, Denmark did position himself to block out any defender, and Willy absolutely nailed the play of the game by floating the ball over the cover man…perfectly.

Overall I think that's a low percentage play. Willy knew he had a mismatch with Grigsby's speed there, but it's a very tough throw and one that is going to be broken up at least half the time, I would estimate. Still, we executed it to perfection at least and it paid off. Wouldn't have been my play call and still wouldn't, but it worked as planned.

I don't know who was responsible for calling the last play of the game but that was an insane choice imo. They only needed 3 yards to score, a quick slant in and a bullet to Denmark has better odds than throwing a rainbow across the field to a RB. I was virtually stunned when that play succeeded.

Overall I think that's a low percentage play. Willy knew he had a mismatch with Grigsby's speed there, but it's a very tough throw and one that is going to be broken up at least half the time, I would estimate. Still, we executed it to perfection at least and it paid off. Wouldn't have been my play call and still wouldn't, but it worked as planned.

nah it was a good call. Trying to rifle a slant or something in has it's own risks, there's lots of bodies in there to knock the pass down or step in front of a pass or bump the receiver off his route. The play they called really only relied on Grigsby out running the linebacker covering him. The other receiver should have probably be further away but you go up and over the coverage when the target is that open it's a pretty safe play. 

Also of note, wasn't Hamilton offside anyway? So it woulda been a do over from closer if we didn't excute.. That woulda been scary tho cuz you know MB probably calls for marve and the jumbo pack if it's half a yard away...

They totally stacked the middle. If we tried to score from the 3 with one play remaining it would have been stuffed. It was a great play call because it worked. 

Hammie's D line had a good push, it didn't look like he had the throwing lane he may have wanted. Willy said later he threw it up because it gave our guys a chance. Either we out fight them for the ball or possibly get a PI. It was a good call.

Hamilton was offside on the call, so we would have had one more shot at the end zone if Grigsby didn't make the catch.

The middle of the field was full of bodies.  It's cover 0, you're basically giving Grigsby the opportunity to outrun a LB, or in this case DE that Hamilton put on him.  The ball was thrown high and dropped in because the defender was underneath the route, that's just a brilliant play by Drew Willy.

From CJOB post game approx 27 minutes in:

Irving: Was that your read on the play?

Willy: I was looking to Denny in the corner and Grigsby was in the flat, I didn't think any of them were really open. So I just wanted to give them a shot to make a play.

Irving: The pass was a bit of a prayer was it?

Willy: Basically, wasn't too skillful. There wasn't much there so I decided to give our guys a chance.

There was no mention of Willy being aware of the Hammie penalty one way or the other,

The 'deep' receiver ran the wrong pattern and brought their defender into the play.  We were lucky to get away with it.  Low % play call + wrong route usually doesn't equal success, but it did last night.  We also got a new terminology... The 2 yard hail Mary.

The 'deep' receiver ran the wrong pattern and brought their defender into the play.  We were lucky to get away with it.  Low % play call + wrong route usually doesn't equal success, but it did last night.  We also got a new terminology... The 2 yard hail Mary.

Is it really that low percentage though? RB on a linebacker or DL and just lob it over the coverage... Khari Jones put a lot of tds on the board just by putting the ball up and letting guys make a play on it why shouldn't Willy?

Is it really that low percentage though? RB on a linebacker or DL and just lob it over the coverage... Khari Jones put a lot of tds on the board just by putting the ball up and letting guys make a play on it why shouldn't Willy?

It was a good way to counter the way Hammy was stacking the middle. Unorthodox yes, a bad call, no.

Yah, it is a low %.  Most of the time, you'll get a LB on the RB, not a DE.  The additional speed and cover ability, quickly turns that TD into a knock down and a win to a loss.  

Most of the time, when 2 receivers are in the same spot, the ball isn't completed.