The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 9

Mike

Couldn't help myself, stoked about tonight's win and needed to discuss it. Sorry for stealing the thread from our normal thread starters.

The Good

-- The Maurice Leggett / Chris Randle Connection, teaming up for three tight coverage tip ball interceptions. Leggett is a legitimate ballhawk back there. He's quickly become competition for Tyron Brackenridge as the CFL's best safety. 

-- Ian Wild ... 14 defensive tackles, he was all over the place tonight

-- Abe Kromah was an absolute run stuffer tonight. Just as I predicted before the game, I'll predict it after the game - Kuale has lost his job.

-- Derek Jones ... this guy is turning out to be a steal. Pure hustle player. Blocked punt and a huge block on ST to set up the big Stoudermire return.

-- The tackling tonight ... just to single out a few guys. If Big League Teague keeps up that tackling proficiency (which he lacked heavily earlier in the year) he could be a great NI starter on D for a long while in this league. Randle, Washington and Leggett also all made great strides in their approach to bringing guys down tonight

-- Troy Stoudermire is going to keep Aaron Woods out of the lineup long term if he keeps this up. He's a legit threat to break one.

-- The offense in the fourth quarter ... if we're within a possession late, we always have a chance with these guys

-- Team discipline AGAIN

The Bad

-- Our offense for the first 45 minutes of the game. Playcalling in particular.

-- Nick Moore ... hoping it's just rust, but as of right now, he's a REC2 getting paid like a REC1 and the fumbles aren't helping. Still a fan though, just not a great game.

-- The pass interference nonsense. Hate that this is what the CFL is coming to.

The Ugly

-- The uniforms. Good lord.

-- Matt Bucknor's face after Tyrell Sutton put a palm imprint in it on that stiff arm. That was NOT a good play by Bucknor.

-- Alex Brink. Thanks for coming out.

We're 6-3!

The good:

The Stoudermire return

The blocked punt

Winning ugly

The bad:

Our offense for most of the game

PI or not PI?  Should be called by the refs, not reviewed upstairs.  Two weeks in a row marginal ones got called upstairs.

Punting out of the endzone twice.  Could have cost us big time.

Ping off the uprights on short FG's.

The ugly:

Those pigeon poop uniforms.

Ian Wild 15 tackles - wow.

Greg Peach, Turner, each a sack.

Randle 2, Washington and Bucknor - deflections.

Brandon Whitaker 13 - 25 yards No gaps in the run defence tonight.

Goalpost interference - called twice, no challenges…ha!

Those pass interference call challenges waver between good and questionable.

4th quarter good feeling knowing that we have a QB who can win us the game.

Just hang onto the ball boys and like the Drew "Staple Singers" Willy says - "I'll take you there"

Small-checkmark.pngLike this :

- Lirim Hajrullahu

- the idea behind the 3rd down pass gamble

- the low penalty count

- the belief MOS has in his players.

- rushing yardage tonight

- better tackling

- better blocking

- no Rod Black

- only once for these unis for a while.

- the fans cheering

- the Bombers acknowledging the fans cheering

- and finally, the WIN

I wouldn't put Sherman in the good.  He made a couple plays behind the line, but completely blew it on a few of those screens.  Really inconsistent, and needs to just get the guy on the ground or at least slow him down when he's the first defender there instead of going for the strip.  Him being more than a role player at this point scares me.  Would not mind seeing more Derek Jones on D.

Agree with most of the rest.  Putting Sutton back in that game could go under the bad.  Don't really care if the guy can pass a baseline test, anyone who loses consciousness has a brain injury, and should be treated as such.

Another bad, thought there were a lot of high tackles both ways (including Peach on Sutton) and can't recall a single one being called, other than a marginal horsecollar on the big Stoudermire return.  London grabbed the collar, but didn't pull Stoudermire down by it, got his hand out and tackled him.

Good:

This team. Good teams find a way to win tough games, even when a bad opponent is giving you one heck of a challenge.

Leggett is freaking phenomenal.  Same with Randle.  Our whole secondary had a solid game tonight.

Its amazing what a good returner on special teams can do.  Stoudermire has completely changed that side of the ball.  Speed, vision, and ball security so far have all been great.  I had said previously that Woods had great ball security but wasn't a great threat while Demond was the opposite.  Stoudermire seems like the best of both of them.

Bad:

Agree on Nick Moore.  My concern is that his hands have always been the problem with him.  Fumbles, drops...seems kind of what the Nick Moore Experience has always been about.  He needed to haul down that high pass from Willy.
Offense sputtered for most of the game. 

This one isn't so much a "bad" for today but our OL is still weak and January and Neufeld got hurt today.  January returned but apparently was really limping in the locker room.  This line is going to be weak until we can get healthy.

Ugly:

Those jerseys looked like pajamas.  Also the 'W' impacted my viewing more than I thought.  Perhaps I just wasn't used to it enough.

Tom Higgins.  He was awful tonight.  Didn't challenge the Randle one which probably would have drawn a cheap flag, and then challenged the one after.  You would think someone who worked in officiating would know what to do more frequently.  He doesn't seem to have any idea what he wants to do with his team either.  Not even sure he's really running the team at this point.

Glen Suitor - for being his usual ignorant self and not understanding what is and isn't pass interference.  He and Tom Higgins are still scratching their heads about that rule.

Lotta crap in this game overshadowed by a late win vs by far the worst team in the league. Not sure we deserved it, and fairly certain we'll get drilled by Sask, but I'll take 6-3 over 5-4,that's for sure...

I think the tendency is to think that how you play one week is going to be how you play the next week.  Such a small league and any upset is possible really.  I don't think we'll win, but I won't eliminate the possibility yet either.

Where's Aaron Kelly?  Romby Bryant's been more productive in the last 3 weeks, and he didn't even dress tonight.

Willy seems to be moving away from Kelly and that makes him invisible, just like last season.  People on here will soon be calling for his replacement even though he has proven what he can do when the ball is thrown in his vicinity.  Expected the O to break out tonight but it really stumbled, not sure what it's going to take to get it firing on all cylinders.

Where's Aaron Kelly?  Romby Bryant's been more productive in the last 3 weeks, and he didn't even dress tonight.

Willy seems to be moving away from Kelly and that makes him invisible, just like last season.  People on here will soon be calling for his replacement even though he has proven what he can do when the ball is thrown in his vicinity.  Expected the O to break out tonight but it really stumbled, not sure what it's going to take to get it firing on all cylinders.

If Kelly would get open within the QBs field of vision the ball would come his qY

Agree with all of Mike's first post... would add

Good

- Grigsby hitting the line with speed in the 4th Q

- Goossen played really well

Bad

- Desia Dunn's blitzing - either go for the sack or contain... don't run, stop and put your hands up

- Grigsby hesitating before line for rest of game

- Redzone playcalling

Ugly

- So Much 'Handfighting'

Ugly:

Tom Higgins.  He was awful tonight.  Didn't challenge the Randle one which probably would have drawn a cheap flag, and then challenged the one after. 

Is not that call from someone in the booth watching the replay who then relays it to the coach?

Might as well call MOS on the challenge that on a replay screamed out DON'T CHALLENGE THIS ONE!

Both good and bad,,,we won but we beat an Eastern team that does not play in Toronto,.

Ugly:

Tom Higgins.  He was awful tonight.  Didn't challenge the Randle one which probably would have drawn a cheap flag, and then challenged the one after. 

Is not that call from someone in the booth watching the replay who then relays it to the coach?

Might as well call MOS on the challenge that on a replay screamed out DON'T CHALLENGE THIS ONE!

Both good and bad,,,we won but we beat an Eastern team that does not play in Toronto,.

O'Shea explained in the CJOB post-game show that he knew he wouldn't get that call but he wanted to slow down the Als momentum and give his D a breather.

The Good 

- The story on Lirim before the game, amazing story and i'd recommend it to those who haven't seen it to definitely try to check it out...

- The OL run blocking in the 4th quarter

- The tackling by our Defence the entire game

- Kromah, Wild, Johnson,Randle, Leggett

- Stoudemire 

- Jones with the blocked punt

- not sure what it finished at but they say the 50/50 was over 60,000 at half

- Over 97000 pounds of food for the purolator thing

- Washington for getting nailed on that one play and continuing to play and then making a few big plays later

- Denmark

The Bad

- Glenn Suitor going on and on and on about the PI call

- Alex Brink

- SJ Green

- Nick Moore

- Paris Cotton in the third quarter

- Whyte and Lirim both nailing the goal post

- The fact that Grigsby leads the league in rushing but we are dead last as a team in rushing yards per game

The Ugly

- The Playing Calling through 2 quarters and 10 minutes

- Tom Higgins, just in general... DEAD MAN WALKING

- The Entire first half by both teams... Worst first half of football I have ever seen, Just 2 and out after  2 and out by both teams. 

Just want to add, The really Good, the unexpected, the who would have thunk it

- at the half way point in the season, we are 6-3. 

how can kelly not be open for an entire game? 

-

Glenn Suitor going on and on and on about the PI call

yes, I shut the sound off. waited, put it back on, he was still talking about it. 

Ugly:

O'Shea explained in the CJOB post-game show that he knew he wouldn't get that call but he wanted to slow down the Als momentum and give his D a breather.

mo he did not ... go back and listen again ... he thought it was PI .... on the fumble challenge he had something to explain ... listen to what he actually said