So I think we know who the better RB is now

Grigsby looked like he felt threatened after Cotton put a nice run on the board.  Actually made one cut and got upfield between the tackles in the 4th quarter a few times in a row.  A little easier to find gaps vs Montreal when they often put all their guys filling run gaps right on the line before the snap.

Cotton had a nice run when they used him running downhill.  Then gave him a run on 2nd and 2 without a lead block with Montreal filling the box.  Would have been a pretty miraculous play to make that one work.  I hate when they give Cotton the ball running parallel to the line of scrimmage, hate when they do that with any running back, especially without a lead block.

I know a lot of the time we want to blame one guy or a group of guys (see: OL) for poor play, to justify that we are one step away from being productive.  I think blame can be given all around for our run game.  Grigsby is far from perfect, so is our o-line.  That said, I had the same kind of impression from tonight.  Grigsby is still the guy.

I think it may have been brought up by DoD in another thread, but he mentioned our offence playing scared.  I think this applies a lot to our offensive line.  There were a couple runs late in the game that made me go "WOW, that's our offensive line? Where did they come from?". Could be a confidence thing. I hope our run game gets on track, one way or another, because we'll need it for these last 9 games.

I disagree. Grigsby gained most of his yards on a couple long runs where he ran through gigantic holes and no one touched him. Those plays were made by good blocking, not by Grigsby. I swear half the people on this forum could have made that touchdown run up the middle. There were also at least 2 other 15 yard runs in the 4th quarter where he went untouched until well into the secondary. On those runs it doesn't really matter who the running back is, nearly any pro RB could have made the exact same run.

I still don't remember the last time I saw Grigsby actually make someone miss, or break a tackle. He seems capable of running through holes at a decent rate of speed, but that's about it. He isn't anything close to elusive, or physical.

Cotton hasn't had nearly the same opportunity, but does look more explosive. I'm not sure either is the answer. Our O-Line is weak, we need a running back that can either make people miss, or break a lot of tackles.

I miss Chris Garret. Before his injury he was awesome. Fast, physical, and no nonsense. One cut and go full tilt, we need someone like that again.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that this was the Als short week so it could be their D was gassed late in the game when Grigsby started to accumulate.

No they didn't. Playing on Saturday and then Friday isn't a short week. That's pretty much the average amount of time between games.

Thought Grigsby looked good when it mattered, I'm not a fan of the whole "but if you take away his big runs" thing, If you take away any RB'S big runs, he don't look as good.

Grigsby seems to be going more North South now instead of East vs West..

Cotton? I dunno, didn't look that good in the third at all... That experiment might be over

So for all the take about Stoudemire on O this week, Not once eh? Weird. 

Thought Grigsby looked good when it mattered, I'm not a fan of the whole "but if you take away his big runs" thing, If you take away any RB'S big runs, he don't look as good.

Grigsby seems to be going more North South now instead of East vs West..

Cotton? I dunno, didn't look that good in the third at all... That experiment might be over

So for all the take about Stoudemire on O this week, Not once eh? Weird. 

MOS said he thought platooning Grigsby with Cotton may have been a reason Grigsby played so well in the 4th Q .... being well rested from his heavy load

Whether it's Cotton or Grigsby (tonight it was Cotton doing this) don't bloody hell dance when you're trying to convert 2nd and 2. Hit the damn line hard. Worst case scenario you gain a yard and you try a sneak on third and one. I wanted to throw my drink through the TV when Cotton did that.

Did you see the play early in the game where Grigsby stopped before he hit the line of scrimmage and was tackled for a loss? That was absolutely embarassing. At least Cotton was running forward. Hell the play he got dropped hard by Hebert at least he picked up 8 yards first. If that was Grigsby he would have got maybe 3 or 4 cause a guy would have got a hand on him coming through the initial hole. 

Grigsby went back in during the 4th quarter and actually stopped ******* around going sideways and running tentative. He actually started to make a decision and commit to it and ran with more authority and go figure he made some plays. I question whether he can do that all the time or not, but if he can then good, but if not I like the way Cotton runs better.

Overall I think the biggest issue with the running game last night was the play calling. They did very little to actually give the backs a chance until late in the game, but I can not stand a running back who is seemingly afraid of contact. 

Whether it's Cotton or Grigsby (tonight it was Cotton doing this) don't bloody hell dance when you're trying to convert 2nd and 2. Hit the damn line hard. Worst case scenario you gain a yard and you try a sneak on third and one. I wanted to throw my drink through the TV when Cotton did that.

Did you see the play early in the game where Grigsby stopped before he hit the line of scrimmage and was tackled for a loss? That was absolutely embarassing. At least Cotton was running forward. Hell the play he got dropped hard by Hebert at least he picked up 8 yards first. If that was Grigsby he would have got maybe 3 or 4 cause a guy would have got a hand on him coming through the initial hole. 

Grigsby went back in during the 4th quarter and actually stopped ******* around going sideways and running tentative. He actually started to make a decision and commit to it and ran with more authority and go figure he made some plays. I question whether he can do that all the time or not, but if he can then good, but if not I like the way Cotton runs better.

Overall I think the biggest issue with the running game last night was the play calling. They did very little to actually give the backs a chance until late in the game, but I can not stand a running back who is seemingly afraid of contact. 

Cotton got flipped back a few times...looked nasty.

It seems we still have two distinct 'camps' on this issue.  Should be another good week of back and forth entertainment.

If you watched Montreal's run game, it was basically the same as ours.  Watch any team's running game, no matter who they are. It's mostly straight up, make a block, hit the hole.

Totally agree with this. Second and 2 is time to smash the ball forward, nothing else! Glad I didn't have anything in my hand, might be looking for a new TV!

I just think defensive lines in this league are that much better then their counter part. Nobody seems to be able to get any push from their OLine. Except maybe Calgary

We haven't had a running back rush for under a thousand since I've been a true bomber fan, Grigsby might break that streak this year unless we can keep this up