Why not us?

Tehedra

I just do not understand why we are not seeing changes or recruiting in the areas we need strong improvements in. I know many say it is hard to change or add to your roster at this time there are not many players worth while but yet if you follow the other teams.  They always seem to be adding someone that was un recruited to the practice teams with possible potential in those needed areas.

An example is the riders just signing an OL http://www.cfl.ca/article/cis-preview-mcgill-redmen

Meanwhile we are signing overdue vets that aren't in the necessarily most needed spots to our PR whilst we are not developing those types of guys it seems we badly need.

This is one of those situations where people tend to ignore what the Bombers do and put everything else every other team does under a microscope.

Are you really concerned that we didn't bring in a 25 year old offensive lineman that bounced around the CIS before going undrafted?

I mean really, we just brought in two Canadians a week ago. Both as practice roster additions.

I just do not understand why we are not seeing changes or recruiting in the areas we need strong improvements in. I know many say it is hard to change or add to your roster at this time there are not many players worth while but yet if you follow the other teams.  They always seem to be adding someone that was un recruited to the practice teams with possible potential in those needed areas.

An example is the riders just signing an OL http://www.cfl.ca/article/cis-preview-mcgill-redmen

Meanwhile we are signing overdue vets that aren't in the necessarily most needed spots to our PR whilst we are not developing those types of guys it seems we badly need.

I just see a story on McGill.

This is one of those situations where people tend to ignore what the Bombers do and put everything else every other team does under a microscope.

Are you really concerned that we didn't bring in a 25 year old offensive lineman that bounced around the CIS before going undrafted?

I mean really, we just brought in two Canadians a week ago. Both as practice roster additions.

obviously these other teams are signing potential starters, the Bombers only signed guys who suck!11!!!!!

Like Mike said, we just brought in 2 last week, Pall and Pierre, but.... I think we need to realize this, and it kind of sucks but it is pretty much a rebuilding year for the team. Is one or 2 american players going to make a difference right now? Maybe but it's unlikely. Could we possibly discover a couple of gems? Maybe but again it's unlikely at this point in time. We are holding a couple private workouts on September 20 and 21 and I believe the other one is Oct 4. Buffalo Charlotte and somewhere else i believe so we are doing recruiting still. Can we find an Adam Bighill at one of these workouts? Maybe, but... probably won't know for sure until next training camp. The reality kind of is, what you see right now is what you get. I understand people want these guys to come in and dominate but that rarely to never happens, especially late in the year..Mike Sims Walker last year was somewhat of an exception and even then, he really had 1 good game and got hurt or something happened there. When the PR's expand, we will see guys brought in. Until then, it is what it is and think people just need to accept it right now. Would it be nice to find a dominant MLB or a dominant DE or DT, sure it would be... but i think the likliness of finding those guys right now, having them come in and make a huge impact is asking for a bit too much. Hey, we have been in every game this year really outside of the Edmonton game (where both teams played like crap) and last week where our starting QB got hurt, hell even then if our Offence could do something, we'd have had a chance. This team isn't as far off as some think they are but on the flip side they aren't as close as some think they are either. Give it an off-season, give it some time, Patience is difficult to have but it's needed right now. The only way to become dominant is to be patient. Quick fixes don't exist.  As for Canadians, man, they are all long term/project players at this point in the season. 

I didn't talk about starting; I talked about we aren't recruiting canadian players who need development in the areas of our need.  Yes we did do awesome in the draft; yes we did go out in FA and sign some big names.  But shouldn't we also be in the building and expanding the team for next year and the year after?  Doesn't an OL take the longest to train and to build up the ability to learn to play together.  Shouldn't we not be bringing in players not in the draft; so that if some are bunk we will know earlier now while we have the room to do so. 

I am talking about getting some projects on the practice roster that could use some build up; and I do know we recruited people a week or two ago and that is why I mentioned that those guys were more because of injurie we had on our team but aren't meant to be kept around or developed further.

In reality I'm dissappointed we gave up Suber; for a guy who can't seem to get across the border.  Exspecially with how well Suber has been playing now that he has been allowed to hit the field.

But thats my personal opinion; I'm not saying that the job being done on what they did for this years team is poor as I believe they did good.  We've said multiple times though it'll take some continous building to rebuild this team and Walters seemed to be doing it at first but it seems now not as much lately. 

I didn't talk about starting; I talked about we aren't recruiting Canadian players who need development in the areas of our need.  Yes we did do awesome in the draft; yes we did go out in FA and sign some big names.  But shouldn't we also be in the building and expanding the team for next year and the year after?  Doesn't an OL take the longest to train and to build up the ability to learn to play together.  Shouldn't we not be bringing in players not in the draft; so that if some are bunk we will know earlier now while we have the room to do so. 

I am talking about getting some projects on the practice roster that could use some build up; and I do know we recruited people a week or two ago and that is why I mentioned that those guys were more because of injuries we had on our team but aren't meant to be kept around or developed further.

In reality I'm disappointed we gave up Suber; for a guy who can't seem to get across the border.  Especially with how well Suber has been playing now that he has been allowed to hit the field.

But that's my personal opinion; I'm not saying that the job being done on what they did for this years team is poor as I believe they did good.  We've said multiple times though it'll take some continuous building to rebuild this team and Walters seemed to be doing it at first but it seems now not as much lately. 

Walters is a victim of his own success- he started out so well but seems to have been firing blanks lately. If the player we traded Suber for cannot report, surely we must have some recourse. We are going to be going through some trying times for the next couple of months, and it would be nice to have reason for optimism.

I didn't talk about starting; I talked about we aren't recruiting canadian players who need development in the areas of our need.  Yes we did do awesome in the draft; yes we did go out in FA and sign some big names.  But shouldn't we also be in the building and expanding the team for next year and the year after?  Doesn't an OL take the longest to train and to build up the ability to learn to play together.  Shouldn't we not be bringing in players not in the draft; so that if some are bunk we will know earlier now while we have the room to do so. 

I am talking about getting some projects on the practice roster that could use some build up; and I do know we recruited people a week or two ago and that is why I mentioned that those guys were more because of injurie we had on our team but aren't meant to be kept around or developed further.

In reality I'm dissappointed we gave up Suber; for a guy who can't seem to get across the border.  Exspecially with how well Suber has been playing now that he has been allowed to hit the field.

But thats my personal opinion; I'm not saying that the job being done on what they did for this years team is poor as I believe they did good.  We've said multiple times though it'll take some continous building to rebuild this team and Walters seemed to be doing it at first but it seems now not as much lately. 

Says who? One of the guys was a high draft pick not long ago, he might have some potential left in him, certainly can't have any less than a guy who isn't all that accomplished at anything. Do you really think that the Bombers made those moves just to fill a hole until people are healthy? You don't think they saw something in them that made it worthwhile to bring them in? Give your head a shake. 

The logic for starting Bryant is simple: If you don't then you only have one speedy receiver in the lineup, Denmark. This is the CFL, you gotta have speed on offense.

Only Ottawa has been worse offensively over the 1 - 5 stretch than us, the logic is flawed.

Even if Bryant is marginally better then a younger project player it still seems like a waste of a spot. At least the other guy would get better.

Criticizing Bryant is pointless unless you've watched film and analyzed how much coverage he draws.  I know I've seen a few plays where he has been open but the throw wasn't there.  But really, there's isn't whole to go on.

His contributions may be deceiving(but have they been substantial) but what is Romby's upside?  A different player may improve but with Bryant what you see is what you get.  I'm always in favour of playing a younger promising player over an older mediocre (at best) player.   

Criticizing Bryant is pointless unless you've watched film and analyzed how much coverage he draws.  I know I've seen a few plays where he has been open but the throw wasn't there.  But really, there's isn't whole to go on.

And this is the point that O'Shea continually makes when callers call in about so-and-so, they haven't seen the film.

As to why he is here, 17 is right…speed, he's still got it and it still gets him open. 

The unfortunate part is , he and Willy are not working yet.

I'd venture to say that if they had connected two or three times over this spell, talk about Bryant would be different.

I'd venture to say that if they had connected two or three times over this spell, talk about Bryant would be different.

I wouldn't. I saw him catch that 70 yarder that got called back on a penalty and I still think he's horrible.

He may have speed to burn, but he has no awareness of the ball in flight and just like the first time he was here, he shows ZERO fight for a contested throw. Couple that with stupid penalty after stupid penalty and a turnover and I have no use for him.

I wouldn't. I saw him catch that 70 yarder that got called back on a penalty and I still think he's horrible.

He may have speed to burn, but he has no awareness of the ball in flight and just like the first time he was here, he shows ZERO fight for a contested throw. Couple that with stupid penalty after stupid penalty and a turnover and I have no use for him.

Although what you say is true of penalties, the difference is we 'abide' penalties from say, a Sears, and deplore them from outsiders, such as Bryant.

Not all receivers contest for a ball, and that is what separates the good from the meh, and we call out Bryant for those, but there are others…and we don't call them out.

I do wonder why.

Bryant is an outsider, and probably, will be an outsider for good next year.

But i still contend, if he and Willy could have some kind of connection, there would be more who would say, he's a good filler.

A penalty on Sears is more "palatable" because he is a defensive player and when you are tackling.  They shouldn't be taking them but sometimes things happen.  You can be going for a tackle and hit high or hit late, but it is a "continuation" of your job.  

The penalties that Romby takes are selfish and retaliatory.  The only penalties a receiver should ever be getting is offsides and possibly a hold on a run.  The unnecessary roughness penalties on a receiver are a pure selfish penalty.

A penalty on Sears is more "palatable" because he is a defensive player and when you are tackling.  They shouldn't be taking them but sometimes things happen.  You can be going for a tackle and hit high or hit late, but it is a "continuation" of your job.  

The penalties that Romby takes are selfish and retaliatory.  The only penalties a receiver should ever be getting is offsides and possibly a hold on a run.  The unnecessary roughness penalties on a receiver are a pure selfish penalty.

Sears, of course, was just an example.

There have been far too many UR/retaliatory-type penalties and any party who is guilty of those is a selfish player.

It's not restricted to receivers.

Bryant is not a popular player here, on this team.

His penalties are more under the spotlight, and I challenge the deniability of that.

And what I was saying before is, the more plays he would have made, the more forgiving the fans would have been.