The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

On 8/17/2017 at 9:45 AM, Taynted_Fayth said:

Only thing i'm in the market for atm is an acoustic bass for some bonfire jam sessions. Me and buddies usually just do multiple guitars and some bongos but would be cool to get one.  don't usually see many for sale other then at places like Long and McQuade but even then it's anywhere from $400-3K for one

Keep your eyes peeled. Last November I snagged a like-new Ibanez hollow bodied 5-string acoustic-electric bass with a hard case (shag carpet interior!) on Kijiji for $400 (might have been $450). Had to drive an hour to pick it up but it was worth it. It's great for practicing unplugged but as soon as someone is rocking out on their 6-string acoustic I get drowned out and need to plug in again. It just doesn't kick out the acoustic sound like I had hoped. I'm convinced only a big stand-up bass could be heard around a campfire.

probably wont be a crisp, stand - outish sound like that of an acoustic guitar but the idea is just for something to lug around sans amp and still be loud enough to contribute to the vibe.  It's kind of like bongos,  they can sound really good together with a guitar but it'll get drowned out unless it has a mic near by on it... well i suppose like your Cello idea you can always get those long, multi-foot long bongos (or out right symphony timpani drums and bang the sweet piss out of them till people acknowledge you really are playing too :D

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, johnzo said:

MO, yeah,I know how that feels to be generally brutal :)

Anyway, right now I'm listening to the first complete song I've ever composed and recorded.

It's called You Suck. I'm proud of it tonight and will probably be horrified by it tomorrow. :o

got a soundcloud page, or somewhere I can listen to it?

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

got a soundcloud page, or somewhere I can listen to it?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Odih-fP0kkbiZI3LOkEbmqsZtJETpOPk/view

LMK if that doesn't work for you, Google Drive is sometimes flaky when it comes to audio.

thanks for your interest Mark -- It's real plain, just vocals, and super vanilla drums and instrumentation at this point. (shamefully, I used a drum machine instead of playing the drums myself)   The tune has a lot of growing up to do but it's been born alive! 

I'm going to PM it to Noeller every hour until he puts it on the radio.

19 minutes ago, johnzo said:

thanks for your interest Mark -

Definitely minimalist, I like it. not B.S. - ing. I

know its tricky to mic drums but you should try.

spouse and I independently concluded it's Lou Reed style.

thanks!

I may send you one of my recordings one of these days. 

thanks man! Yeah, it's largely a  CF chord progression  song so it definitely has that Walk on the Wildside feel.  It's great to hear you guys say Lou Reed because that's where I was aiming.

At some point this will definitely have live drums. at this early stage it's easier to just throw down something in the drum machine and concentrate on the singing.

send along your own stuff any time, I'd love to give it a listen.

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Odih-fP0kkbiZI3LOkEbmqsZtJETpOPk/view

LMK if that doesn't work for you, Google Drive is sometimes flaky when it comes to audio.

thanks for your interest Mark -- It's real plain, just vocals, and super vanilla drums and instrumentation at this point. (shamefully, I used a drum machine instead of playing the drums myself)   The tune has a lot of growing up to do but it's been born alive! 

I'm going to PM it to Noeller every hour until he puts it on the radio.

The solo really hit me in the feels!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm using the WitUSAiCS looped version because the youtube auto generated versions aren't available in canada (the only way you can hear them up here is if you install a geo fence jumping extension in  your browser), well I just explained why I didn't share the other version. Every time I hear it, I get a summer feeling, or picturing sitting in a hot tub at a Holiday Inn

Edited by iHeart

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎17 at 10:35 AM, Taynted_Fayth said:

probably wont be a crisp, stand - outish sound like that of an acoustic guitar but the idea is just for something to lug around sans amp and still be loud enough to contribute to the vibe.  It's kind of like bongos,  they can sound really good together with a guitar but it'll get drowned out unless it has a mic near by on it... well i suppose like your Cello idea you can always get those long, multi-foot long bongos (or out right symphony timpani drums and bang the sweet piss out of them till people acknowledge you really are playing too :D

A quality acoustic bass sounds amazing.  It would add a ton around the campfire.

7 hours ago, johnzo said:

I grew up on the K-Tel compilations of the early eighties -- was a broke-ass kid, so getting a single cassette of 10-15 radio hits for like $5 was a big big deal. 

I had no idea they were a Winnipeg company!

Awesome album cover. OMG U not know of the KTEL connection? Gotta wiki that.

37 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Awesome album cover. OMG U not know of the KTEL connection? Gotta wiki that.

Yeah- it blew my mind years ago when I read this:

What's less well-known is the founder of Priority Records, which sold tens of millions of albums for N.W.A., Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Jay Z and other rappers, is a white, middle-class guy from Canada. Even less well-known is Turner grew up in Winnipeg's West Kildonan neighbourhood, worked for K-Tel

My days at work surrounded by all females and the only other guy wants to desperately be in a musical.... has me listening to Perfect (by Beyonce and the Ging) 8x a day,  Havanna 7x, So bad at Love 7x..etc and theres no escaping it as 99% off our radio stations play the exact same content.  Hell i hear the same songs sometimes being played on like 106 and 97.  So having said that as soon as everyone goes on break or done for the day and im lingering around out pops my youtube and im blasting tunes thru any random speaker can find.  My play list at the moment is; (i apologize if ive posted any of these before kinda too tired to rummage thru 13 pages of posts lol)

I got more tunes i could post but i dont wanna eat up the whole page/thread.  Lets just say F*** the radio.  If i hear Wolves or Roots or whoever the hell that knock off zepplin band is ...greta van fleet or whatever 1 more time i'mma roadhouse kick a few radios at work and start a rebellion